HD Receiver & TV in separate rooms

2rsq24

Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
California
I want to install my HD receivers in a central equipment closet, and run the HD signals to the TVs in rooms throughout the house. The existing wiring is (2) RG-6 and (2) Cat-5e cables to each TV location.

My biggest question is how do I use the existing RG6 cables to run the HD signal. Or do I need to use the CAT5 cables instead? I understand there may be a device that connects to the output of the receiver which changes the HD signal, and then a corresponding device just before the TV that converts it back to an HD signal that the TV can use?

Thanks in advance for the advice -- I'm new to this sort of thing. I know what I want to accomplish, but not how to get there!

I don’t know any way to use RG-6 but you can buy hdmi to cat 5 or cat 6 converters. I have done this where I work. I would recommend at least cat 5e unless the distance is relatively short. Any of the devices I have seen require two sets of category 5 or better cables. One for audio and one for video.
Unless you already have the cables run, do yourself a favor and run cat 6 if you go this route.
For short runs long hdmi cables of component cables may be cheaper. Converter boxes can run from $100 to $400 a set depending on length and quality required.

you can buy hdmi to cat 5 or cat 6 converters
Interesting; I never saw one of those. However, if you look behind the HDTV displays in any major retailer, you will find HD being distributed via a component-to-cat5 or 6 converter. In this case too, there is more than one twisted pair cable per feed. I think I saw 4 which might be one/color and one for sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)