HD Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rainmaker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
Louisa KY
need all of your opinions on the best HD receiver out there the most bang for the buck and the one that will receive the most avaiable HD signals.

need all of your opinions on the best HD receiver out there the most bang for the buck and the one that will receive the most avaiable HD signals.

Coolsat 8100HD. Builtin DVB-S2, PVR, but no blindscan and no 4:2:2.

I find this unit to work pretty well. Of course I miss blindscan, but that is what my Coolsat 6000 does well. :)

Coolsat 8100HD. Builtin DVB-S2, PVR, but no blindscan and no 4:2:2.

I find this unit to work pretty well. Of course I miss blindscan, but that is what my Coolsat 6000 does well. :)
I understand that there is no receiver that blindscans DVB-S2. But I am thinking about getting a CS 8100HD.

Will the 8100HD let you do do a channel search for DVB-S2 channels if you manually enter the transponder info?

For example, the NBC HD networks are on AMC-18. If you enter the TP info (3780H, SR 30000) will it find all the channels on that TP? Or do you have to manually enter each channels V-PID and A-PID?

I understand that there is no receiver that blindscans DVB-S2. But I am thinking about getting a CS 8100HD.

Will the 8100HD let you do do a channel search for DVB-S2 channels if you manually enter the transponder info?

For example, the NBC HD networks are on AMC-18. If you enter the TP info (3780H, SR 30000) will it find all the channels on that TP? Or do you have to manually enter each channels V-PID and A-PID?
Yes it will. I just did it with my 8000. It found 5 DVB-S2 services on that transponder. (DVB-S2, 8PSK, pilot ON) 4 HD and 1 SD. 42% Quality on my 10 footer. :cool:

Last edited:
Yes it will. I just did it with my 8000. It found 5 DVB-S2 services on that transponder. (DVB-S2, 8PSK, pilot ON) 4 HD and 1 SD. 42% Quality on my 10 footer. :cool:
Thats great news, thanks eurosport. Will try to get one on ebay.

rainmaker -- You are smart to ask here before buying. I WISH I had done the same before buying a Viewsat Max HD. I made the mistake of trusting the specs in the manual I downloaded from Viewsats website. Despite the claims in the user's manual , blindscan doesn't work and DVB-S2 requires an add-in card.

So I sold the VS Max on eBay.

Anyway, I'll be interested to hear which receiver you choose and how you like it.

Brett

I will report back brettbolt when I buy would like to get a few more replies before I make my decision.

Hello from Germany!

I have a very good HD Receiver!

Vantage HD 8000 Twin DVBS2 Receiver with Hardware Blindscan! But without 422 :(

Hello from Germany!

I have a very good HD Receiver!

Vantage HD 8000 Twin DVBS2 Receiver with Hardware Blindscan! But without 422 :(
Hello. Very nice HD receiver. But it seems to be available in Europe only.

Does it do NTSC (North American Television Standard) and is it 115V/60Hz compatible?

Hello!
Yes,the Receiver does 90-250V and 50/60Hz!
And yes,the receiver does NTSC! I can see Feeds from NBC on Telstar 12 in NTSC! NBC Today Show;Nightly News and Sport etc.

Look for this Receiver on the vantage Homepage VANTAGE - Willkommen bei VANTAGE Digital GmbH
And to buy on the ebay site of germany or other in europe!

The support with new Software for the receiver is very good!

I'm looking too, but am waiting to see what's going on with the eye patch crowd. If DN's migration to N3 is sucessful, the market will be awash in inexpensive HD recievers!

Another vote for the Coolsat 8100HD here. The big downside is the lack of Blindscan, but the Fortec Ultra is covering that right now. It's easy to tell when the Fortec stumbles upon an HD signal, so I can plug that in later.

If you end up with one, tho, put the latest factory firmware on it ASAP. I had whatever came with it (from a dealer) and it acted like it was possessed -- no PVR, no Satellite selection, the motor moved randomly...it was ugly.

Oh, and the PVR works like a charm. I'd watched a few HD shows I've recorded and it looks and sounds wonderful. I recorded something off of Equity's FOX channel once and it reset halfway through, but that was an isolated issue and a FFWDed over to where it dropped off and continued. Also, it will split @ 4GB, but it's always cycled through to the next file, so it was a minor issue for me.

Hopefully more S2 and HD channels will come up in the future, making the box even more useful. Until then, it's a great addition.

Hello!
Yes,the Receiver does 90-250V and 50/60Hz!
And yes,the receiver does NTSC! I can see Feeds from NBC on Telstar 12 in NTSC! NBC Today Show;Nightly News and Sport etc.

Do you know if it can output NTSC? I know there are HDMI PAL -> HDMI NTSC converters, but that adds another $200 USD to the price.

DVB -S2?

Are you SURE that the Coolsat 8100 does DVB-S2 out o the box with no additional hardware? Also, it does HD on satellite, not just ATSC, right?

Are you SURE that the Coolsat 8100 does DVB-S2 out o the box with no additional hardware? Also, it does HD on satellite, not just ATSC, right?

Yes. It does DVB-S2 / 8PSK from the factory. You can watch DVB-S/QPSK HD (PBS) and DVB-S2/8PSK HD (LPB) with it, I don't know about DVB-S2/QPSK HD. It cannot do Turbo 8PSK which might be why other websites often imply it doesn't do DVB-S2/8PSK.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)