HD Remote TV hookup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rcmerlin

Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I am new to D* and have an HD-DVR 21-700. I want to connect a remote HD TV in the kitchen to one of my DVR and do not want to add another $99 unit + $5/mo just to watch the morning news during b'fast.

This was easy in the non-HD days (simple coax splitters)

I have heard that an HDMI over Coax device is coming this spring that would allow me to use the existing in-wall coax, but I have not heard a time frame of price.

However I did confirm that the HDMI and Component outputs on my 21-700 are both active at the same time. So I was thinking of running a 5 conductor RCA cable (2-voice and 3-video).

Question is: How far can I run this without appreciable loss?
Can I "Y" connect that if I wanted to connect a third TV.

Dish --- DUAL COAX--> 21-700 ----- HDMI ---> MainTV
......................................|
......................................|................|----> Remote 1
......................................|................|
......................................- Component+
.......................................................|
.......................................................|----> Remote 2

BTW: It is unlikely that all the TVs would be used simultaneously.

Its unfortunate that there isn't a SD Coax output on the 21-700 to allow some backward compatibility with older SD eq.

Or is there another solution.

"Its unfortunate that there isn't a SD Coax output on the 21-700 to allow some backward compatibility with older SD eq."

Since the majority of people with HD receivers don't need to output a RF NSTC signal they don't include it in the box to reduce costs. But all you need to do it get a cheap RF modulator and connect that to the composit video output on the HR21 and get an extra RF remote.

A quick web search found unit for $20 with Svideo and stereo input to coax output. This would be a really quick solution and the SD quality would probably be OK in a kitchen TV. I will have to confirm that the SVideo output is active with the HDMI.

Still looks like 5-way RCA cable or a real long HDMI cable for HD.

Thanks for the bandaid

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)