HD Signal Issues?

Buzzdar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
USA
I live in the 62896 zip code and any one have any ideas why i get such a better and more stable picture on all HD channels after 10pm but before 8 am? like channel 6 wpsd i get in the 70's during reg hours and from 10pm and 8 am i get 85-90 is it possible they are broadcasting in more power during those hours.

Radio signals propagate better on the side of earth away from the sun.

WPSD is a fringe reception situation, do you have a pre-amp.

Walmart.com : Philips MANT940 Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna : TVs is the antenna best one i have bought or tried before nothing else has gotten close to giving me all the HD or SD sub channels that i can receive.
0002661603007_500X500.jpg

Will Buying a Better preamp than the one that comes with do that much better?

Vareiable propagation on fringe Channel 6

Ch 6 is at ~80 MHz.

Digital receoption has a "cliff effect" which may mean your signal strength only changes by 1 dB in your situation to have the effect yopu observe.

Here are several possibilities for your situation, both tropospheric propagation:

1. Trophospheric ducting

2. Temperature Inversion

At night, the air is often more stable, allowing these layers to remain longer.

Build a temporary Yagi for Ch. 6, then get a good UHF antenna for later.

That is a UHF only antenna that won't get PBS when they go back to channel 8 in 2009.

Channel 8 is part of the upper VHF spectrum, is it not? Some antennas though listed as UHF only actually work (though with reduced gain) in the VHF band. I don't know much about this particular antenna, but I don't think I'd say it flat out won't work when it may work well enough to pickup VHF 8. My 4-bay bowtie UHF only antenna picks up VHF-8 well enough in my viewing area.

Channel 8 is part of the upper VHF spectrum, is it not? Some antennas though listed as UHF only actually work (though with reduced gain) in the VHF band. I don't know much about this particular antenna, but I don't think I'd say it flat out won't work when it may work well enough to pickup VHF 8. My 4-bay bowtie UHF only antenna picks up VHF-8 well enough in my viewing area.

The Channel Master 4221 and 4228 Bow Tie style UHF only antennas have been documented to work on some VHF channels.

There is no such data for the MANT 940.

I would never suggest attempting to receive VHF on an untested UHF only antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts