HD Signals?

Y2k06

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
If you have HD service, does an HD signal come out of ALL of the outputs?

I've got a 4 receiver system. I tried to move one of the HDTV's to another room and connected it to a wire that was connected to a 301 receiver. I got a few channels, but none were HD, and missing a ton of channels between locals up thru 59 or something, and then picked up again in the 300's. In between - nothing.

Sort of a weird set up I think. There are 2 dishes on my roof. One has 3 LNB (think that is right word), and another separate dish with only 1 LNB on it.

2 wires connect direct to a cable that feeds the HD signal to 2 locations. 2 more wires go to a DP-34 (I think) swith, and the wires coming out of that fed a 301 receiver and a an older non-HD DVR (maybe a 501??)

Eventually, I want to run 3 HD signals. Will this necessitate a service call?

Thanks,

Go to the location the is working properly and run a check switch. This will let us know what you have in your system.

A 301 will not give you any HD channels, it's not an HD receiver.

If you have HD service, does an HD signal come out of ALL of the outputs?

I've got a 4 receiver system. I tried to move one of the HDTV's to another room and connected it to a wire that was connected to a 301 receiver. I got a few channels, but none were HD, and missing a ton of channels between locals up thru 59 or something, and then picked up again in the 300's. In between - nothing.

Sort of a weird set up I think. There are 2 dishes on my roof. One has 3 LNB (think that is right word), and another separate dish with only 1 LNB on it.

2 wires connect direct to a cable that feeds the HD signal to 2 locations. 2 more wires go to a DP-34 (I think) swith, and the wires coming out of that fed a 301 receiver and a an older non-HD DVR (maybe a 501??)

Eventually, I want to run 3 HD signals. Will this necessitate a service call?

Thanks,

You will need an HD receiver for each HD-Capable TV you wish to view HD programming on. Here are some thoughts. I hope they help.

When many viewers see the message: "Presented in high definition where available." they mistakenly think they're watching High Definition programming on their 15-year-old set. It's not quite that simple. To view true High-Definition television, you need a source of HDTV signals, a tuner to receive and decode those signals, and a HD TV or monitor that can reproduce the detail and color of HDTV images.

Over-the-air broadcasts (OTA): You can receive them with a standard UHF antenna.
What you need:
• HD-compatible TV
• HDTV (ATSC) tuner — separate unit or built into TV
• Indoor or outdoor UHF or UHF/VHF antenna
• Local HDTV broadcasts

Digital satellite TV:
What you need:
• HD-compatible TV
• HD-compatible satellite receiver such as the Vip-622
• HD-compatible satellite dish
• HD programming

RE-EXPLAINED - more detailed - where is/are HD signals???

Let me try ask again with a more detailed explanation.

Currently have 4 receivers. Two are HD. The other two are NOT HD. I have a VIP622 and a VIP211 for HD. The 622 is connected with a cable coming directly off one of the outdoor dishes over a single cable to the rear of the 622 and using a separator, am able to use the 'dual tuner' mode. The two TV's connected are HDTV. I am simply moving one of the HDTV's and Receiver to a location where an SD receiver was connected.

The 211 is also connected directly to one of the cables coming directly off the dish and is connected directly to the single 211's input. Neither of these 2 signals go into a switch - direct dish to receiver.

The remaining 2 receivers (a 301- and an older SD DVR) are connected by 2 wires coming from the outdoor dish(es) then go into a DP34 switch. From that switch, two wires come off the switch and feed the 301 and the SD DVR.

What I did was.....
I took the 211 receiver and SWAPPED places with the 301. I took the 301 and put it where the HD signal was. I completely understand the issue of receivers etc..

My question - restated, is... do all 4 cables -- regardless of where or how they are connected....either via dish direct to receiver, or dish, to a switch (DP34) to receiver all transmit the SAME signal?

That is to say...

HD Receiver 1 - in living room - connected direct from dish to receiver

HD Receiver 2 - in entertainment room - connected direct from dish to receiver.

SD receiver 1 - in bedroom - connected from dish - to swith - to reciever

SD receiver 2 - in bedroom - connected from dish - to swith - to receiver

Will ALL of those signals from HD1, HD1, SD1, SD2 be putting out an HD signal provided a HD receiver is connected?

Narrowing it down...

I am looking to get HD2 receiver moved from entertainment room to bedroom and to take the SD bedroom receiver and place (temporarily) into the entertainment room.

Thusfar, this has NOT worked. The HD receiver now where the SD receiver used to be is reporting "no signal" - when I run check switch - it shows only 2 of the 3 sat pointing locations missing.

On the roof - not sure which is what.. But on the HD that IS working (622 in original location) - 110, 119 and 61.5 if this offers any clues.

Hope this is a cleared picture of what is trying to get accomplished.

Thanks for the help.

You have two dishes, one is a dish 1000 dish while the other is a dish 500, if both of these dishes face the same direction then most likely what you have are two seperate systems both of wich get the 110/119 but the dish 1000 also gets the 129. If this is the case then the dish 1000 is linked to the two hd receivers while the dish 500 is linked to the sd boxes and it wont get any hd service at all. If you follow the lines that the SD receivers were hooked to then they should go to the switch and then to the dish that doesnt have the 3 lnbf's. Its possible that the dish with the single lnbf is looking at a satellite other than the 110/119 slot and the bigger dish is a superdish but without know what sats your dishes are seeing we're still at something of a loss to help.

You have two dishes, one is a dish 1000 dish while the other is a dish 500, if both of these dishes face the same direction then most likely what you have are two seperate systems both of wich get the 110/119 but the dish 1000 also gets the 129.

This is Exactly correct!.. That is how it is set up..

If this is the case then the dish 1000 is linked to the two hd receivers while the dish 500 is linked to the sd boxes and it wont get any hd service at all. If you follow the lines that the SD receivers were hooked to then they should go to the switch and then to the dish that doesnt have the 3 lnbf's. Its possible that the dish with the single lnbf is looking at a satellite other than the 110/119 slot and the bigger dish is a superdish but without know what sats your dishes are seeing we're still at something of a loss to help.

This too is correct. The Dish 1000 does in fact feed the 2 HD's direct. The Dish 500 (with one LNB) and maybe one of the 3 LNB's on the superdish, go to the DP34 switch. Now I can simply swap wires (in the attic) and move the one off the DP34 to where it was HD and the HD (now in the bedroom) direct to the that line. Got that figured out!

On the HD's, check switch reports, 110, 119, 129. When I moved the HD receiver to where the SD receiver was, check switch is missing 129.

Question now is..... How do I get HD to go to THREE locations?. I will be adding a third HD receiver and HDTV in the near future (already worked out an agreement with E* for 3rd HD receiver) It will be going back to the entertainment room which now only has the SD receiver to it.

HERE is what the roof looks like!
http://www.c5dreamer.com/relay/dish1000.jpg[img]

Will this require a 2nd Dish 1000 (3 LNB receiver)? Will they charge me for the install?

[B] Van- Thanks for figuring it out![/B] That is exactly on the mark! Just need now to figure out how to get HD to a third location.

Here is what the roof dishes look like!

[img]http://www.c5dreamer.com/relay/dish1000.jpg
dish500.jpg

dishdual.jpg

Last edited:
You could get the Dish1000 replaced with a Dish1000.2. THat will have 3 outputs for HD receivers.

OR

You could install a DPP44 switch into the system. You could take the Dish500 off the roof, and replace the DPPTwin in the Dish1000 with the DPTwin from the Dish500. Run three lines from the Dish1000 to the DPP44 switch, then cascade the DP34 switch. This would give you 8 lines all getting 110, 119, & 129. The 4 lines on the DPP44 can run dual tuner receivers with one line using a DP Seperator. THe DP34 switch will run 4 single tuner receivers. This would be a much better looking setup.

What if I just got another D1000 dish/lnb. Then, that would feed the one one additional HD and I presume, would also feed the last SD receiver as well, yes? Would it also eliminate the need for a switch at all? Is that correct too?

That way I could keep the existing mounting pole, and just put up a second Dish 1000. No major changes. Dont see a need whatsoever to expand beyond 4 receivers, at least in this current location.

And with just another D1000, if I ever wanted to up to a forth and final HD signal, the D1000 would already provide that.

The question is, will a D1000 feed direct to a SD receiver with no switch or anything? Or as someone mentioned earlier... 2 independent systems??

Thanks,

I'd go with Daves suggestion but also keep the dish 500 for later use as a wing dish specialy now that there will be a new sat at 61.5 and 129 is a known terminaly ill bird. You could also venture into the FTA hobby and use the mount with a diferent dish and maybe an adapater if needed.

Sorry I didnt get back to you right away but Im in the process of trying to remove a power steering pump out of a 96 grand caravan and Im of the opinion that Chryslers engineers and E's engineers are one in the same.

Officialy you can have any 3 switches cascaded ( IE sw64, DP 334, DPP44) to carry multiples of dual tuners and or single tuners but unofficialy there are installers that have cascaded them to support I believe up to 38 tuners, someone posted about that a year ago on the site so if anyone wants to research it have at it.

Since you have the Dish 1000 already, no need to mess with it. However, the 500 dish should be replaced with a 1000.2 dish. It has a larger surface area (better signal) and can support 3 dual tuners whereas your current 1000 can only support 2. With this change, you can now support 5 dual tuner receivers. That sounds like plenty for you. It could also provide some redundancy in case the LNBs fail on your original 1000, you could just hook those lines into the 1000.2 in the interim.

Thanks for all the replies.. Dish 1000.2 it will be and I will keep the Dish 500 in the event I should ever have to aim that one back to the 61.5 bird.

Last question....will the D1000 and/or D1000.2 also provide the correct signal to the one remaining SD DVR?

Now all I got to do is find someone to do this without taking an arm and a leg. Any suggestions on how best to get this done with little cost. What would I 'typically' have to pay to get this changed out? I'm afraid if I call a Dish CSR, no telling what story I would get - I've never gotten the same answer twice from anyone there - ever! Im in the Dallas/Plano area.

I suppose I could do it if E* would send the parts. Would the D1000.2 use the same 'mast' the 500 is on?

Again,

Thanks guys... Appreciate all the help.

Your setup is unusual and redundant. You do not need two dishes even now. The reason you probably don't get the same answer twice from the CSR's is because they don't understand how your system got set up that way to begin with, neither do I.

You will probably have to set it up yourself. Question, who set up your current system the way you have it??

Funny you ask.. When we first migraged to HD early on, they sent a contractor out to do the install. He just put up another D-500 and pointed it to 61.5. (the other D500 pointed at 110, 119 - from recall, I think) At the time all we had was a 211 for HD and 3 SD receivers. When my 622 arrived later it was nearly 3 months trying to get it installed (shortage of a DPP44 switch - is what I was told time and time again by Dish)

Finally, an installer came out to hook up the 622. Because of internal wiring logistics, it was impossible to run a second cable (for dual tuner) to the new 622. The DPP44 switch was impossible to locate anywhere. I got a run around for months about that. He left with no clue how to fix it. Fast Forward another 30 days.

Another local guy came out, looked and scratched his head, then got on the phone... Half hour later a DISH network supervisor pulls up in his truck. They took down the D500 pointing to 61.5 and put up the D1000.

That way, there was no switch involved for HD (the ellusive DPP44); A single cable to the 622 worked fine using separator and the other line from the D1000 fed the 211, now located in another room. The D500 feeds the two SD receivers and runs into a DP34 switch. I can't recall if SD receivers are using anything off the D1000. I don't think so.

So that's how it all happened over a 2 year period, 3 service calls and frustration to fill everyones appetite.

Now here we go again. What can I expect next? Should I call DISH or a local retailer/installer? Anyone know somebody that can fix this mess. I don't really care how it's done, just would like to get going on it.

Thanks

I would go on Ebay and find a DPP44 cheap.

Find a local retailer to came out and install it the way I posted before. This will give you the most options for receivers, look much better than TWO dishes on your roof, and probably cost you not much more than trying to get a Dish1000.2 kit and getting it installed.

Follow Up Dish- Installer!

OK, so the installer gets here and takes a look.. I told him what was suggested about just adding a DPP44 switch as being the easiest way to go.. in and out in 1/2 hour... But NO...:eek:

He gets on the roof and starts taking apart the LNB's on the 1000. Run's a new lead off of 129.. So now we have 3 wires coming off the 1000 whch was correct so far.. Then he just uses a barrel connector for the 3rd HD source - going straight to the 722 receiver... Told him that wouldn't work... Sure enough, it didn't. Again, I suggested a 44 switch.

He goes out to his truck gets on the phone to his super and they decide they are going to add a 1000.2 array of LNB's on the same 1000 dish. That didn't work either. Puts the originals back on. :what

So, he starts back to the truck to get a 1000.2 dish. At that point, now almost 2 hours here, I beg him.. "Hey, I'll bet you lunch if you just hook up a DPP44 we'll be in business". Sure enough.. Did a check switch, and they all fired up. He looked completely confused by the whole thing.:confused:

Thanks guys... you had it absolutely right from the get-go. :D :up

Total time here was nearly 2 1/2 hours. Could have easily been 30-45 min max. Then getting it authorized was a whole different subject..... It's done and I'm happy;)

So now we have 3 wires coming off the 1000 whch was correct so far.. Then he just uses a barrel connector for the 3rd HD source - going straight to the 722 receiver... Told him that wouldn't work... Sure enough, it didn't. Again, I suggested a 44 switch.

He goes out to his truck gets on the phone to his super and they decide they are going to add a 1000.2 array of LNB's on the same 1000 dish. That didn't work either. Puts the originals back on.
what.gif

That's about where I would send this guy away and tell him to send someone competent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)