HD that doesn't look HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kaygirl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
South
I'm watching Fox Sports South on 646 and it says it is in HD, but the long shots are very blurry. Close-ups are better, but what is this, some kind of pseudo HD? I'm so confused. I've noticed this on some other channels, too.

A lot of the college baseball/softball/non-basketball/football that RSNs show is just 16x9 SD, even on the HD channels. It looks dreadful. Was that what you were watching?

Ive also noticed alot of FTA feeds as 16x9 SD format which explains why some games on DTV are just like that.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

yup...one of the most notorious ones like that is ESPN....alot of programming for ESPNU is 16:9 SD...that they say is HD :eek:

Well, I hate it, but I am relieved to know I don't have any settings wrong. I thought it was something like what you guys said, tho. Sigh.

Directv doesn't have any control over what is sent to them by the providers. Don't blame them.

I noticed that another SD channel, BYUTV, is now like Baby First (and my local Antenna TV subchannel) are being displayed as 16:9 SD, even with pillar box selected, like it should be. But a few, like Univision West for example, are still smushed on pillar box. Aspect ratio seems to be so overcomplicated.

Another factor, some non pro events have one HD camera, while any others are SD, particularly the scenario the OP talked about, longs shots from a different perspective than the main camera.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts