hd-tivo dumb purchase????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lurch

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 1, 2003
Buffalo,New york
Guys,whatya think buy one now for 1000 bucks or wait for the new hddvrs?Scott,any word on price goin down or the new boxes before 2005?

I bought one ... and returned it. Wasn't enough for my $1,000, I am waiting for the next one so when I upgrade my TV I'll know the HDMI port wont fail :)

I've had mine since mid May, no problems with DVI but have seen the HDNet audio problem and it has the missing logo's. Other then that I love it.

I bought one and love it I also love the fact that it nly cost me about 400.00 after all the credit I accumalated from D*. If I had to pay 1k I probably would have waited but I am allset now for the new season of shows and enjoying HD even more now. I guess you are the only one that can decide as to whether it is worth it to you. I personally don't think you will see a price drop for a while but that is just 1 man's opinion.

Stunt_101 said:
I don't know what planet you are from
$$ is a factor for most of us
While its a factor in everything, he's still right. There will be a point when something is worth the X dollars, if you are getting what you expect and want for what you paid, then the price isnt a factor afterall.

With rebate from D* of about $260, and the $100 I got for an old TiVo and the $240 for a Toshiba HD receiver, the cost was lowered by $600.
Plus, instead of using an HD receiver AND a Tivo on a set, we just use the TV as the tuner, so we save an extra $5 a month. So over the course of the year we will have spent $1,090 (including tax) and saved $660.. so the total cost is $450.
We have had it since May 8th and couldn't be happier.

Yeah,i was goin to wait to see if d* was going to put out a different hddvr but I cant wait that long so Ill probobly take the plunge.

fredfa said:
With rebate from D* of about $260, and the $100 I got for an old TiVo and the $240 for a Toshiba HD receiver, the cost was lowered by $600.
Plus, instead of using an HD receiver AND a Tivo on a set, we just use the TV as the tuner, so we save an extra $5 a month. So over the course of the year we will have spent $1,090 (including tax) and saved $660.. so the total cost is $450.

You got a rebate from directv by turning in an old reciever?

Nope, just for turning on the HD TiVo and calling DirecTV and asking what they would be willing to give me.
(I didn't even call them BEFORE I bought the unit.)
And I didn't add our $65.94 savings (six free months of HD) to the above list because we would have gotten that with or without a new TiVo.

fredfa said:

I'm curious fredfa, what kind of setup do you have that requires you to use your TV as your HD tuner? Does your HD-TIVO not have your local digitals?

Anyway, I've had my HD-TIVO since June and like it very much. The two things I don't like are the sluggish guide and the fact that it cannot pass a native signal through. It requires you to choose between 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. You can change it by toggling on the remote but it's still a pain and would be much nicer if it would just pass the native signal through without processing it. I would think a software upgrade could address both of those issues but I haven't heard of any impending upgrades. Interestingly, it does record the native signal because on playback of recorded material you still have the capability to choose the resolution you want.

Also, while I wouldn't put it in the category of something I don't like, its pq is just a tiny, tiny bit softer than that of my Sony HD300, both connected via a DVI switcher to the DVI port of my TV.

I too received some D* rebates to offset the cost of the unit just for the asking. I called and let them know that I was thinking about getting an HD-TIVO but couldn't justify the cost. After being put on hold, I was very pleased to be told that I had a $420 rebate waiting on me when I activated the unit. So with the $420 rebate from D* and the fact that I got the unit for $900 instead of $1000, I've got $480 in it.

I think they base those rebates mainly on how long you've been a customer and also how your payment history has been and at what level you subscribe. I've been with D* since the beginning and at the Premiere level of programming (wasn't called that in the early days as USSB had the movie channels), never paid a bill late (can't since it's charged to my CC), so my rebate is probably a tad higher than most.

Also, while I wouldn't put it in the category of something I don't like, its pq is just a tiny, tiny bit softer than that of my Sony HD300, both connected via a DVI switcher to the DVI port of my TV

Do you think it is softer than the HD300? I just received my HD Tivo and sold my HD300 before I got a chance to test them side by side.

It does appear softer just by going from memory, but that is a tough call.

Eli

I have had mine since June...I love it. My first unit did have the dreaded HDMI problem but D* replaced it with no problems. The second unit has been chugging along for a few months now with no problems. In reality this problem only plagues an average of 20 percent of the original units. You just here more negatives than positives. People that can't watch what they paid for tend to complain while people who don't have any problems are too busy watching TV.:D

You can order one from value electronics and as a member of this board you can get one for $899. I really think that is the best price your going to see for awhile. There is just no comparable receiver available right now to create an incentive for D* to drop the price. They will give you credits but how much seems to vary from person to person.

I say go for it...

Just my .02 cents

Well to make a long story short it dies...Mine ran fine for a couple weeks then it began flickering and little while later died altogether. It is a known problem with the connector that mates the HDTV daughter card to the main Tivo board.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts