HD Upgrade without HD TV's

newriver99

Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Phoenix, Az
Not seeing anyone with this problem I decided to join the forum.
I want to upgrade my two receivers for one 722 and one 612. My problem is I do not have my HD TV's yet. I plan on buying two new Panasonic plasma tv's . One will be coming out probably sometime next month or April and the other will be during the summer.
The reason I want to upgrade now is because of the where I live. I live outside Phoenix , AZ and it gets pretty hot here after April. The installer will have to go up in my attic to redo some of the wiring. I figure if they install during the cool time of the year I will get good install.

So my question is can I upgrade to the HD DVR's now without hooking them up to a HD TV or receiving HD service.

Don't worry about the installers. Upgrade when you have the TVs. There may be something more interesting available at that time.

If you only have two receivers, they don't need to spend much time in your attic (maybe just to remove an existing switch).

Don't wait too long on Plasma TVs. Manufacturers are discontinuing them at a surprising rate. Probably has something to do with recent Carlifornia legislation that essentially prohibits power gobbling TVs.

I actually did what your thinking of doing, last year when Dish had a good deal to upgrade(they were reroofing apartment and Dish had to be moved )it was cheaper to have Dish come out and put up new Dish than to have them come out and move old one )In the process I upgraded to a 722 HD DVR.At the time I did not have an HD TV and my SD worked fine with HD Box.
A good reason to upgrade before you get an HDTV is not only could you get a good deal right now to upgrade,It gives you the ability when your ready to go out and buy HDTV and be able to set it up immediately to see if you like the HDTV you purchased.(Most Stores will allow you to return TV if you dont like the picture when you get it home,and believe me you cannot tell picture quality in the store,its best to take home and try out).Having your HD system already set up is great.I ended up taking back 3 seperate HDTVs because I didnt like how the picture was.I finally settled for a Sylvania but its really best to sample a few sets at home.Anyway this is what I did and since I had already had HDTV set up it was a breeze finding the perfect HDTV.Just a sugestion!!

newriver: welcome to the forum -- so much to learn here.

I have HD service, and I use an HD DVR 622 at my cabin, Even though I've been running a SD CRT television, what is nice is the receiver giving me letterbox. While it certainly isn't HD, it is nice to watch the full 16x9 picture. Press * and I get the full screen 4x3 SD.

When I finally got an HD up there, I just went to the HDTV menu and changed it to 1080i and there I was ready to go.

Since you're going to buy an HDTV soon, I'd just go straight for the HD receiver and service option.

Consider Costco -- two year guarantee, buy with their Amex & you get an additional 3rd year. Best of all, no questions 90 day return.

Don't wait too long on Plasma TVs. Manufacturers are discontinuing them at a surprising rate. Probably has something to do with recent Carlifornia legislation that essentially prohibits power gobbling TVs.
I've always liked the pq of plasmas. They seem to have the most classic "tv feel" of a CRT's depth and brightness but as a flatscreen HDTV. LCD's are fine, but the picture seems flat and not as 3D.

Buying TVs without seeing them ? Is Panny's reputation that good ?

Yes, actually, it is. They are consistently #2 to Pioneer, and that will only last for a few months. When Pioneer shuts down production, Panasonic will have the best. Of course, that also means that RIGHT NOW is an excellent time to get a Pioneer panel at a fair price before they're all gone.

I've always liked the pq of plasmas. They seem to have the most classic "tv feel" of a CRT's depth and brightness but as a flatscreen HDTV. LCD's are fine, but the picture seems flat and not as 3D.

This is sooo off-topic, but yeah, plasmas "feel" better. Too bad that in a staring contest between a plasma panel and my living room window, the living room window wins. Plasmas are still generally better at movies, LCDs are still generally better at sports, and OLEDs are still in the experimental stages.

The reason I want to upgrade now is because of the where I live. I live outside Phoenix , AZ and it gets pretty hot here after April. The installer will have to go up in my attic to redo some of the wiring. I figure if they install during the cool time of the year I will get good install.

Good luck to you on that; basic installation rarely covers working in the attic. They're more than happy to drape a signal wire 12' down your exterior wall and 50' along the footing, around a corner, and punch a new hole directly to your TV, but fishing wires through walls isn't covered. Unless you already have a multiswitch in the attic, you may not convince the installer to get in there at all.

Good luck to you on that; basic installation rarely covers working in the attic. They're more than happy to drape a signal wire 12' down your exterior wall and 50' along the footing, around a corner, and punch a new hole directly to your TV, but fishing wires through walls isn't covered. Unless you already have a multiswitch in the attic, you may not convince the installer to get in there at all.

I have R6 wire going through my attic down the walls of every room in my home. Will the installer go up in the attic to do any connections to these wires so I can have the receivers in different rooms?

No need

All of the wires come down the wall and end in a junction box in the tv room.

Sounds like there is no need for the installer to go in attic if there is a junction box that splits all the feeds to the rooms. As far as input into house then he may just drop the line to a point that feeds into the J-box.
As far as Panny being that good. It pretty much is. I bought my 42" panny plasma from a dealer in LA and he shipped it to me. Once I got it I used the HDNet HD test patterns and the Avia color slide viewer to balance the setting on the set and am very happy.
The reason that Pioneer is leaving the TV biz is two fold. 1 They have been charging a premium for their sets which are a bit better than others. 2 Since Panasonic has told them that the new production facility for plasma's will not be finished until sometime in 2010. Yes Panasoinc builds the plasma screens that Pioneer uses. So basically all Pioneer has been building is the electronics that drive the screen. If you want pretty much the same set buy the THX certified sets that Panny sells.
As far as CA shutting down the power gobbling TV sets well the newer plasmas are most likely going to be able to pass the standard. The set I bought and use instead of my 32" CRT HDTV (that's 7 yrs old) uses less power. The 42" units like I have use 573 watts, the 50" systems uses 690 w.

Sounds like there is no need for the installer to go in attic if there is a junction box that splits all the feeds to the rooms. As far as input into house then he may just drop the line to a point that feeds into the J-box.
As far as Panny being that good. It pretty much is. I bought my 42" panny plasma from a dealer in LA and he shipped it to me. Once I got it I used the HDNet HD test patterns and the Avia color slide viewer to balance the setting on the set and am very happy.
The reason that Pioneer is leaving the TV biz is two fold. 1 They have been charging a premium for their sets which are a bit better than others. 2 Since Panasonic has told them that the new production facility for plasma's will not be finished until sometime in 2010. Yes Panasoinc builds the plasma screens that Pioneer uses. So basically all Pioneer has been building is the electronics that drive the screen. If you want pretty much the same set buy the THX certified sets that Panny sells.
As far as CA shutting down the power gobbling TV sets well the newer plasmas are most likely going to be able to pass the standard. The set I bought and use instead of my 32" CRT HDTV (that's 7 yrs old) uses less power. The 42" units like I have use 573 watts, the 50" systems uses 690 w.
I have been hoping an installer would reply. I hope you are right that would be the easiest. Right now the satellite feed comes in to the main wire which I have connected to the television in that room. So if we could just go from there it would be a piece of cake. I have been trying to find someone in the area that installs but everytime I call someone local they just want to sell me a plan or refer me to Dish because I am a subscriber.
As far a the plasma tv is concerned there is no other tv I will consider. I watch NASCAR and to watch a race on a LCD is just terrible. Also I watch alot of movies and I want have the best natural picture available. LCD is so cartoonish.

I have been trying to find someone in the area that installs but everytime I call someone local they just want to sell me a plan or refer me to Dish because I am a subscriber.

Unless you're gonna buy two HD receivers that's the way it works. the Retailer (and Dish) will want a new 2 year agreement!!!!
Call the local retailer back. He'll be there if/when you need help.
It beats calling an 800 number.

fred
(fwiw, have you found a repair facility for that plasma you intend to buy?? You prolly won't!!!! Consider a Bravia with 120 Hz.)

What about new customer installations?

What about new customer installations?

In a new installation, as I stated above, the installer will go to GREAT lengths to avoid the attic, crawl spaces, or fishing between walls. If you're picky about which holes get drilled where, you're best doing it yourself before the installer gets there, allowing him to focus on getting the signal into your house and the receiver programmed properly.

In a new installation, as I stated above, the installer will go to GREAT lengths to avoid the attic, crawl spaces, or fishing between walls. If you're picky about which holes get drilled where, you're best doing it yourself before the installer gets there, allowing him to focus on getting the signal into your house and the receiver programmed properly.
Am I just lucky, or have times changed? Six or seven years ago for my new Dish install the installer ran the cable down the side of my house, through a small vent to the crawl space, and then about 20 feet under the house and up through a hole he drilled in the floor next to the receiver. He acted like going through the crawl space was the obvious and best way to go. He never brought up any other options.

All the wiring is in place and holes drilled, etc. in a house I'm going to move in. I don't want an installer telling me I need to rewire the whole house. The cable wiring was probably put in around 18 years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)