"HD Videos" on MHD

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
MHD has a program called simply "HD Videos".

This looks to be the closest thing around to the original version of "M2" which was an updated version of the original version of "MTV".

Plus it has High Definition.

I was surprised to find a quite eclectic mix of musical styles - surpirsing in a "Sirius XM" world of very strict sub-genre identification rules that keep music from evolving new styles that are mixtures of old ones.

And, most of the music was very well performed - those artists that conformed strictly to tried-and-true formulas, and thus were somewhat dull to anyone who has heard the formula used countless times, nevertheless all had a relatively high standard of musicianship. This was especially true of vocalists, which probably means that since people with no voice or no sense of pitch, now have the option of doing rap, those who do try to sing are now expected to have some real vocal talent.

While a number of mainstream pop artists like Kelly Clarkson, Green Day, Gorillaz, Fergie and Rihanna were shown, the show led off with the heavy metal acoustic guitar Mexican duo from Ireland - "Rodrigo Y Gabriela", as well as a few other things I had not heard before that seemed somewhat out of the norm.

There was certainly variety within the program... it remains to be seen whether there is any variety between different episodes of "HD Videos" (or will it take after Rave-HD in that respect).

Oh... and Natasha Bedingfield and Anna Nalick both look hot in HD... they probably sang as well, but I don't remember... ;)

PS The "Live Sets" series on MHD seems worth keeping an eye on... both the Herbie Hancock with Joni Mitchell ep and the Lenny Kravitz ep were mildly worthwhile. (The short "question and answer with the audience" segment seems silly and somewhat out of place.)

So, I've DVR-ed several days of this...

... it's suprisingly free of repetition. So far, I've yet to see any video more than twice (although I've seen some artists many time, such as Cream and Sugarland).

One annoying thing is that every so often, they show a 4x3 SD video. :eek:

I wonder if some influence has been exerted by the artist's management to include the video anyway, even though it is an "HD" channel, or if it is a simple matter of failing to notice (or possibly even the show programmer including it because it was a personal favorite).

PS In case anyone is wondering, the second 3-hour show at 6am EDT is not a repetition of the 3am EDT show.

I was surprised to find a quite eclectic mix of musical styles - surpirsing in a "Sirius XM" world of very strict sub-genre identification rules that keep music from evolving new styles that are mixtures of old ones.

Just FYI the "quite eclectic mix" is due mostly because MHD is the HDTV network of MTV/MTV2, VH1, and CMT combined; it is a 1080i high definition music television network that first aired on January 16, 2006. MHD shows music-related content from its owner, MTV Networks, a division of Viacom. From Vail, Colorado.

http://www.mhd.tv/

Just FYI the "quite eclectic mix" is due mostly because MHD is the HDTV network of MTV/MTV2, VH1, and CMT combined;
Yes, I was assuming that everyone knows what each of the channels are - but that is good information to post for the casual reader.

I was surprised at the mix during the "HD Videos" show, because during the day, the channel keeps the 4 genres segregated - you will see a half-hour hip-hop show followed by an hour hip-hop show, etc. Then the following day, you will only see Country programs (like Crossroads) all day. Then college/alternative/emo the following day, and then old farts (VH1) the day after.

Maybe not quite so perfectly divided, since MTV is nothing if not sloppy...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)