HD viewing in another room with any DVR?

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I was looking at the new revamped DISH website today and noticed a section talking about the new sling equipment. Coming SOON! of course was written on each one of these new additions. I didn't know this but according to the site you can use a TV everywhere adapter with ANY DVR and use it in conjunction with a HDTV multi-room extender : "that enhances your ability for multi-room HD content viewing." It also says about the HDTV multi-room extender:" companion product that delivers HD video from the Vip 922 OR A DVR with the TV everywhere adapter to another HD Tv in the home. " Now I had no idea that this would work for regular hd vip dvrs like the 722/722k or 622 vip receivers to get an hd picture to another hd tv in the home. I guess I didn't catch that in the CES information that was released from Scott G. The DISH girl in the CES Video did say that you could do this , but I thought she misspoke. So I wonder if this really means it will turn our regular TV 2 ouputs on our other Vip dvrs to HD ?

Http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywhere/default.aspx

Probably nobody is answering this interesting question because nobody knows one way or the other. I'm glad this equipment has shown up on Satellite TV - HD Satellite Television - DISH 1.888.825.2557, because that suggests "soon" may not be 2011 some time (if ever). Did Dish ever put up their 922 before this? I thought the 922 release is imminent. Maybe they will all be released together. Or am I dreaming again?

Well if this sling equipment does turn tv 2 into hd viewing in the other room , I don't really see any reason to go with the 922 now except for the internal larger hard drive, new channel logos ,menus etc. I don't really use more than 15 hours of my internal hard drive now on my 722k ,because I send all my movies to my external hard drive .

Sling is advertising the Slingbox 700U on their website. As there is no "buy now" option, it probably isn't available.

Sling Media - Slingbox 700U

I'd be interested if I didn't have a nagging recollection about not being able to use both USB ports simultaneously.

From what I hear, the 922 with sling side 2 in HD to another TV. I can't wait till it comes out because it will fix my bedroom TV proplem.

I'd be interested if I didn't have a nagging recollection about not being able to use both USB ports simultaneously.

Could be a problem but in the past I only ever heard that reference connected to multiple hard drives. I don't think we've had any other USB device to see what the reaction would be.

Meanwhile, I have not seen any reference to cost for this. I wonder if there will be a one time service connection fee plus the hardware cost.

I wonder if this HDTV multi-room extender is designed to replace extra receivers in the home, possibly connected to the new prices for additional receivers. By increasing the additional receiver fees they may be trying to direct sales to this newer system for MRVing. If this is the overall direction Dish wants us to go they would have been better off having the tech available before the price increases, it would have saved them a lot of ill will.

Could be a problem but in the past I only ever heard that reference connected to multiple hard drives. I don't think we've had any other USB device to see what the reaction would be.
I guess I could try one of my EHDs and my PocketDish at the same time...

I wonder if this HDTV multi-room extender is designed to replace extra receivers in the home, possibly connected to the new prices for additional receivers.
Given how Sling seems to have no reservations about asking pretty high prices for their equipment, I'm not sure it would be financially feasible to replace a receiver with a pair of Sling devices.

I guess I could try one of my EHDs and my PocketDish at the same time...

Let us know! :)

BTW- I did ask one of the E* engineers at CES about the multiple EHD update that was promised for August 2009 and he said it's still in the cue but has low priority right now due to all out effort on the 922.

I wonder if this HDTV multi-room extender is designed to replace extra receivers in the home, possibly connected to the new prices for additional receivers. By increasing the additional receiver fees they may be trying to direct sales to this newer system for MRVing. If this is the overall direction Dish wants us to go they would have been better off having the tech available before the price increases, it would have saved them a lot of ill will.

This would be cool if they did this but you would need more than just tv 1 and tv 2 viewing outputs for families with more than 3 people. I hear Directv is using HD over coax in there next generation of receivers. This would be much easier than using sling and most people already have coax run all through out there homes already.

This will work with any HD DVR giving it the SlingLoaded features of the 922, though not the new UI, logos or browser. It can be connected at the same time as an EHD.

See EKB: CES 2010 Coverage

I wonder, will this create an independent output on a 612?

This will work with any HD DVR giving it the SlingLoaded features of the 922, though not the new UI, logos or browser. It can be connected at the same time as an EHD.

See EKB: CES 2010 Coverage

I wonder, will this create an independent output on a 612?

So you are saying we will be able to have TV 2 output in HD in the other room as well as TV 1 in the main room in HD ? IN effect watching two different shows in hd in two different rooms at the same time , using ANY VIP DVR and the new sling Tv anywhere adapter and the Hd multi room extender?

From the new TV commercials DISH implies that you can watch HD programming, as per the type of "graphic" sets in the commercial and no "fine print" saying otherwise, in two locations. Plus, I have been playing around with my inhouse modulator system where we are transmitting OTA, the 722 on its own (modulator) and line out, Blu-ray, and Streaming HD with no issues throughout the house. One day I was playing with TV2 on my 722 and see that when you use the format button the picture goes from full screen HD cropped (TV2 SD) to reduced 16:9 complete (Letterbox). This tells me that the output on TV2 is hobbled HD. So TV2 is already HD without Sling or other toys. And just now playing in single mode I get the same HD picture (not good) with really bad audio on Modulator 1 as I do off Modulator 2, but with a tad better audio, but still really bad. So Mod 2 can Bcast HD. But when I switch to Dual Mode TV2 goes SD. And when the format is set to "Letterbox" you get a perfect reduced HD picture. Hmmmm, looks like it's all in the firmware.

Also the major difference in the audio quality between Component and RF is incredible. The RF feed is low in volume and muffled. The audio out is clean and clear. I wonder why?

Last edited:
That's how it was explained, with the 612 being a bit of an unknown in that regard as I didn't think to ask about it.

Cool so this is backwards compatiable with all DISH's current stock of VIP receivers. So even if no one wanted the 922 you could still get an hd picture on a second tv using the sling add ons. Now the price for these new add ons might be a deal breaker for me. Current pricing on sling media products are very high.

I think I see why DISH has moved to the higher prices for additional receivers. They want you to be able to use the hd dvr on two different HD tvs , an advantage for DISH for now. Now I wonder if DISH will let you lease the sling add on equipment or if there will be some new FEE for doing so?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)