HDCP is now ON, if you have a non-HDCP compliant HDTV change to COMPONENT

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr. Biggles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2004
I believe the upgrade we recieved also included turning on HDCP...in fact I know it did.

Before this upgrade I could use my HTPC along with an Immersive Holo/AUX card, which is basically a video scaler/processor, with DVI connections from the V* STB to the DVI input of the scaler card then out DVI of the scaler to my NEC HT1000 PJ. The scaler card permits a 'pass thru feature' (acting as a DVI switch) or actually processing the signal. It worked like a charm before this upgrade in either mode.

When I turned on the HTPC tonight and started the PJ I almost immediately got this message from the V* STB " Please correct DVI connection. Your DVI device is not responding to HD content protection"

When I connect the DVI cable from the V* STB straight to the projector I got a perfect picture. Yes, the projector is HDCP compliant.

There are some members here mentioning DVI issues. I think it's pretty safe to say the issues they are experiencing could very well be directly related to HDCP and compliance with it and/or implementation as applied to their source device. I think most of us have read about how some HDCP DVI/HDMI DVD players can be finicky and darn outright not work with HDCP compliant devices.

Wouldn't this make V* the first Sat service to turn the 'flag' on??

I'm in a dilema because I used my HTPC as a switch as I have multiple DVI devices. So now I gotta decide if I want to spend a couple hundred + dollars and buy a HDCP DVI switch.

Not feeling awfully thrilled right now.

Bill

Just got confirmation from Wilt that indeed HDCP protection is on through DVI. Those without an HDCP in their HDTVs through DVI should change to component, otherwise you will have problems. VOOM has done this to continue receiving HD content.

Is component output downrezzed to 480p or 540p then when viewing on non-HDCP compliant displays?

markdl said:
Is component output downrezzed to 480p or 540p then when viewing on non-HDCP compliant displays?

No it's not. It still is 720p or 1080i. HDCP is just copy protection...

Still... that does kind of suck. I feel bad for anyone not using an HDCP compliant DVI device. I'm not sure why they felt a pressing need to turn it on now. Seems like it maybe could have been announced beforehand.

Yes, I feel bad for someone who spend a $100 or so on a Monster DVI cable, and now finds out that they can no longer use it!

madpoet said:
Not to seem like a complete moron, but does HDCP require a different cable than normal DVI?

Any quality DVI-D cable should work fine. Single or dual link.

Bill

I do have a HDCP DVI input but Monday I had a strange problem: I received the update, but in the afternoon while I was watching TV, the picture would turn snowy on and off so after checking different television inputs I reset the receiver and it stopped but then would go to a blank screen every few minutes or so just for a second then back to the picture. Would this be a non-hdcp problem or what? What happens if a TV is non-hdcp compliant?

Hopefully, VOOM did this because it was necessary to secure additional content for their own HD channels in a timely manner.

Otherwise, they would have done much better to limit HDCP to a single channel for testing purposes with their customers. With so few boxes out there requiring HDCP, there are bound to be a few that don't correctly implement the specification.

mvitoff said:
I do have a HDCP DVI input but Monday I had a strange problem: I received the update, but in the afternoon while I was watching TV, the picture would turn snowy on and off so after checking different television inputs I reset the receiver and it stopped but then would go to a blank screen every few minutes or so just for a second then back to the picture. Would this be a non-hdcp problem or what? What happens if a TV is non-hdcp compliant?

You are not alone on this. See this thread as others have reported the same. Nothing wrong with your TV. Keep discussion over there.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=10506

Ken F said:
Hopefully, VOOM did this because it was necessary to secure additional content for their own HD channels in a timely manner.

Otherwise, they would have done much better to limit HDCP to a single channel for testing purposes with their customers. With so few boxes out there requiring HDCP, there are bound to be a few that don't correctly implement the specification.
I would think this would allow a bigger list of movies on cinema 10..i have heard some of the early ones(nov-dec) license ran out.this may enable a much bigger offering.You know how tight the industry is when it comes to "rights"..thanks to the soon to be retiring L.B.J .cronny Jack Valenti(my own dissing here)

Is the picture better using dvi? Sorry I am new, and don't know all about this stuff. I have a dvi connection on my Mitsubishi and a dvi on the Voom reciever.

Lem52

It fixed my problem. I was unable to use 720P via DVI until I got the update, now it works like a charm. I have a SE 2HD PJ (Sanyo Z2 clone).

If you have a LCD, DLP, or plasma, DVI can offer a noticeably better picture than component. How much better will depend on the particular display model. If you have a traditional CRT-based television (like Lem52's Mitsubishi), DVI offers minimal to no improvement over component.

The benefit of DVI for digital sets (like LCD, DLPs, and plasmas) is that the signal can be kept entirely in the digital domain, without any analog conversion, direct from set-top box to the display. With CRT televisions, the digital signal must be converted to analog for display, so there will always be some D/A conversion taking place; with component, the conversion is done by the box, while with DVI, the conversion is done by the television.

Ken F said:

BINGO!! V* may regret doing this across the board on all channels. I understand why, and eventually all will have to, but they should have started with one channel like Ken mentioned as does D* for feedback purposes.

I like the content of V* enough that I purchased a Gefen HDCP DVI switch today.

Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)