hdcp issue with tv2 and component tv1 vip622

giddy169

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
I have vip622 hooked to my main tv via hdmi and it works fine but I also have a tv hooked through component where it wont let me watch HBO etc giving me a 890 error hdcp. It also won't let me watch it with the coaxial on tv2. Why do I pay for this and have a tv hooked up to the coaxial out if it won't let me watch it?

So from what I have read it looks like I can't use the HDMI port on the VIP 622 for my main tv if I want to watch HBO on the tv coaxial output or the component output on my second tv. Unless, I buy a HDMI to component output for my main tv so it doesn't send the HDCP encryption? Oh yeah my sys info page 2 says HDCP (YES)

Last edited:
From what I understand, If TV1 is connected via HDMI and the TV is ON, TV2's HBO will work normally, but if you turn OFF TV1 and then try on TV2 to go to HBO you will get the error because TV1 is OFF and no HDCP is being sent because the TV1 is off, This why I keep stressing to Dish that this is an issue still and that TV2 should not see these errors at all and its a software issue. I was to understand that TV2 would be left alone and this would only be an issue on TV1, can someone at dish please confirm this?

So from what I have read it looks like I can't use the HDMI port on the VIP 622 for my main tv if I want to watch HBO on the tv coaxial output or the component output on my second tv. Unless, I buy a HDMI to component output for my main tv so it doesn't send the HDCP encryption? Oh yeah my sys info page 2 says HDCP (YES)

so it works when the tv is on or hdmi is unplugged. If it is on then shut off it doesn't work though making the coaxial worthless!

so it works when the tv is on or hdmi is unplugged. If it is on then shut off it doesn't work though making the coaxial worthless!
From what I understand is that it's also a function of how your HDMI-connected TV handles the HDCP handshake while it is off. To test this, turn off your TV1, go to TV2 and check the screen at Menu-6-1-3-Next to see if it still says HDCP yes. If not, then your HDTV is not processing the handshake while it is off.

says yes but still doesn't work through component or coaxial if the tv is off. Only works if hdmi is unplugged or the tv is on. This is very irritating. Well I switched the hdmi cable to input one on the tv and it seems to work so far.

Last edited:
I have vip622 hooked to my main tv via hdmi and it works fine but I also have a tv hooked through component where it wont let me watch HBO etc giving me a 890 error hdcp. It also won't let me watch it with the coaxial on tv2. Why do I pay for this and have a tv hooked up to the coaxial out if it won't let me watch it?

HDCP errors should not appear on analog coax at all. Try switching to solo mode w/ the rcvr front panel, then back to duo. If that doesn't work, unplug the electrical cord of the rcvr for 10sec or so and plug it back in. If you're still having issues call dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)