HDCP on premiums

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, on the two HR24s that I use component and HDMI I have not run into any HDCP messages on HDMI or Component, testing 501 HBO.

One HR24 is hooked to a 4-1 HDMI Splitter, but only one TV is in use at a time, and seems to be working fine.

I think the people that are getting the HDCP message have older TV's that don't make the handshake or are using a HDMI->DVI connection or such.

I have seven TVs running off the two HR24s and haven't had HDCP come up on any of them, thankfully.

How much for the 4-1 HDMI Splitter ?

Adding on and will be putting a TV on the porch.

Seeing the recvrs only have 1 HDMI on them, I need alternatives.

How well do they work ?

Guys I just got done reading this thread and I IM an old co worker of mine that saying according to "ROVER" HBO only issue is HDMI that is not HDCP compatible. It will go through component just fine they are implementing the same system they been using on PPV for years now.

I can understand it on ppv but why would D* care about it on the premiums? I mean if someone wants to use a DVD Recorder big deal D* still gets their subscription money anyway.

One reviewer says this HDMI to Component converter at Monoprice effectively strips out HDCP.

For only $36.00 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI® to Component (YPbPr) & R/L Stereo Audio Converter | HDMI to Component (YPbPr) / VGA Converters

So if they ever disable or make the component outputs on the D* box a lower resolution, this would be the solution.

Though why wouldn't they just put macrovision signals in the VBI over the component cables. Why down res it or disable the output. I know they have those macrovision defeater boxes, but make it variable (ie random pulses of super luminance in the VBI).

How much for the 4-1 HDMI Splitter ? Adding on and will be putting a TV on the porch. Seeing the recvrs only have 1 HDMI on them, I need alternatives. How well do they work ?
I'm using this 4x2 and it works great: Amazon.com: J-Tech Digital Premium Quality Most Advanced HDMI 4x2 Matrix Ver 1.3 Certified for Full HD 1080P Support 3D with SPDIF Digital Surround Sound or Hi-Fi Stereo Audio Output: Electronics Directv, 360, roku and pc can mirror both tvs with the same signal or send different signals at different times. Awesome box.

All the providers (Dish, cable etc) are going to be doing the same thing, it's become a requirement from HBO (essentially from the movie studios, as has been posted). If you TV does not pass the HDCP compliance test, you won't get the signal over HDMI. It will still work over component, because component does not support HDCP.
One of the "gotyas" about this, is that if you have an HDMI-connected TV, HDCP compliant, and you put it on standby, it will probably fail the HDCP test because it is still connected. That means you will get the non-compliance message on any other connected TVs.
The only real way to solve that is to get a powered, active HDMI splitter between the receiver and the TV. That will be powered all the time, and so the HDCP test will succeed even when the TV is on standby.
Don't blame DirecTV for this situation.IMHO you should blame the movie studios, and their "friends" in Congress. These are essentially the same movie people who tried to prevent the development of VCRs, and lost (google "Betamax case" if you want learn more). If they had won, we would never have had a video industry and the movie studios would have given up a multi-billion dollar market.

All the providers (Dish, cable etc) are going to be doing the same thing, it's become a requirement from HBO (essentially from the movie studios, as has been posted). If you TV does not pass the HDCP compliance test, you won't get the signal over HDMI. It will still work over component, because component does not support HDCP. One of the "gotyas" about this, is that if you have an HDMI-connected TV, HDCP compliant, and you put it on standby, it will probably fail the HDCP test because it is still connected. That means you will get the non-compliance message on any other connected TVs. The only real way to solve that is to get a powered, active HDMI splitter between the receiver and the TV. That will be powered all the time, and so the HDCP test will succeed even when the TV is on standby. Don't blame DirecTV for this situation.IMHO you should blame the movie studios, and their "friends" in Congress. These are essentially the same movie people who tried to prevent the development of VCRs, and lost (google "Betamax case" if you want learn more). If they had won, we would never have had a video industry and the movie studios would have given up a multi-billion dollar market.
to understand this will i run into this problem if i just have my directv hookup by a normal HDMI cable and nothing else?

This HDCP message is there because the tv you have your receiver hooked up to was not designed with the content protection.
This ONLY happens when you are using the HDMI port, because they think people are going to hook up their receivers to their computers and steal movies. You can get around this by using Component cables. When you use that type of connection your DTV receiver knows that it is not hooked up to a computer or anything like that.

today i was starting a recording and message pop-up for second and when it away, will i see it on all my recording from HBO now?

Last edited:
Sometimes it appears for a second or two while the HDCP handshake is happening, on a channel change or recording playback, it is normal.

I've forgotten, is there a way where one can run a test to see if their setup is compliant? I have a 2005 HDTV with HDMI and I seem to remember running such a test where it came back and told me that I was 1.3 compliant.

The easiest way to test is to hook it up and got to an HBO channel. The HDCP is usually not on TVs older than 2003.
So anything made after that "should" have the HDCP support.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)