HDMI 622 problem

mdntblu

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Corona, CA
I have read and read through tons of posts trying to find out if anyone else has this problem.

I have a 622 which I have had for like 2 years. Recently my HDMI does not work on my TV every time I turn on the 622. In order for it to work I have to go to TV2 and do a HDMI Reset for it to work. Then it works fine until I turn the whole thing back on.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it my HDMI cable, or my TV, or my 622? I don't want to waste a bunch of time and money buying new cables and stuff to find out it's my 622 or my TV (which I doubt) but if it is the TV I can take it back and exchange it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

HDMI problems and the 622 have been discussed all over the place. More than likely it is a hardware problem on the 622. They use a surface mount connector which has a tendency to come loose from the solder pads. You could try wiggling the connector next time to see if it restores you picture.

I have this exact same problem. I've been in contact with Dish about it via e-mail and I received a phone call from their tech support about it. They say it is not a hardware problem but a software problem, hence they would not swap out my receiver. They told me that the HDMI reset option in the Diagnostics menu was put in to fix this problem. However, every time the 622 does a reboot (which it does every night) the HDMI port goes dead and you have to go into the Diagnostics menu and reset it. I have the key sequence on the remote memorized now and have to go through that every evening when I turn it on. Dish claims they are working on a fix, but they have no estimate for when it will be ready. We can only hope that it comes with the next software update. I have read of dead HDMI ports caused by loose connectors, but this specific problem is not caused by that.

I'm a dishnetwork installer,

Technically as long as you have a warranty and or lease the box.. if it suddenly.. somehow.. just didnt work anymore they would have to replace it with a new one at no charge to the customer. Only if somehow those older boxes with those HDMI problems could just break, leaving no physicall damage to the box, then you would have a new one! But the other suggestion would be to hook them up using the component connection for video: red-blue-green ////// and compsite: red-white for sound. Still get a nice HD picture doing it like this. The HDMI would be messed up right out of the box on probally 20 of them I installed, all we could do is hook them up the other way I mentioned above.

You can eliminate the problem by using the component connections. The picture is as good as with HDMI but you will have to connect either analog or optical(digital) audio. I have found this to be the best and most reliable setup for many installations.

Just curious, but what TV are you using?

HP ID5220 DLP 52" (Hewlett Packard)

Also that's great if people use Component cable but that defeats the purpose of having a high end box that I can't even use HDMI. I just want it to work. I pay good money every month and want it to work like it's worked for like 2 years since I got it.

I have read and read through tons of posts trying to find out if anyone else has this problem.

I have a 622 which I have had for like 2 years. Recently my HDMI does not work on my TV every time I turn on the 622. In order for it to work I have to go to TV2 and do a HDMI Reset for it to work. Then it works fine until I turn the whole thing back on.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it my HDMI cable, or my TV, or my 622? I don't want to waste a bunch of time and money buying new cables and stuff to find out it's my 622 or my TV (which I doubt) but if it is the TV I can take it back and exchange it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

Your problem is the 622 and it needs replaced. I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. What happens is in the analysis section of diagnostics where it has the HDMI test, the receiver can identify exactly the model of the television you are connected to and there are about 6 or 7 pages of codes. The receiver is losing those codes, they all go to zero on every page. I'm not a computer whiz that's the best I can explain it. I did the HDMI reset a million times and all the television information shows up, telling you if there is signal going out of the box and if it's receiving from the TV etc... Everytime I shut the TV off all the information would dissappear. TV model number gone, everything to zero. I changed out the 622 and everything has been fine since then. DISH changed out the box no problem.

Why would this just start happening? I've had this receiver and TV for a long time and I don't understand why it would just start.

I have also had the same problem with my 622, I am using a Vizio 37 in LCD with Component, i call dish and they say it is Vizio's fault, i call Vizio and they say it is Dish's fault, can anyone tell me if there is any way to rectify this situation because i am looking at getting a 47 in Vizio but i don't want to do so if it is gonna be the same headache all over again....

I have also had the same problem with my 622, I am using a Vizio 37 in LCD with Component, i call dish and they say it is Vizio's fault, i call Vizio and they say it is Dish's fault, can anyone tell me if there is any way to rectify this situation because i am looking at getting a 47 in Vizio but i don't want to do so if it is gonna be the same headache all over again....

Well there's no test option for component like there is HDMI in the 622. You'll have to test component with another TV to see if it works. If it doesn't you'll know it's the box. BTW, my replacement 622 is still working perfectly.

it wasn't a component problem it was the HDMI problem, perhaps i wasn't very clear on that, but every time i call dish they tell me that it is not the receiver but the TV, when i hook up PS3 to HDMI it works fine, just whenever i hook up the HDMI to the 622 get no picture or sound.... i was curious whether anyone else had the same problem with the vizio televisions so that i could determine whether it IS a problem with the TV and i shouldn't get the 47 inch, or whether it is just the 622.... does anyone else have the Vizio connected to HDMI.... and are they having problems with it?

it wasn't a component problem it was the HDMI problem, perhaps i wasn't very clear on that, but every time i call dish they tell me that it is not the receiver but the TV, when i hook up PS3 to HDMI it works fine, just whenever i hook up the HDMI to the 622 get no picture or sound

Well if it's HDMI then run a reset test under HDMI in the analysis section of diagnostics in the menu. The receiver should list what model TV it's hooked to. If the picture comes back, then turn the TV off and then back on. If there is no picture again it's the receiver that is bad.

Well I got my new receiver from Dish today. BTW, Henry when you call Dish tell them that you read on Satellite Guys.us that this is a known problem. Also make sure you get American tech support and not India because the India support will not help you.
Keep calling back until you get America.

So here's my issue - The last 2 days my receiver has been working fine with my TV on HDMI. I have not had to reset the HDMI port at all. The receiver I just got from UPS is a remanufactured one. Should I still swap it out or wait a couple more days and see if the problem starts up again and then swap it out and if it doesn't just send back the replacement one?

You can eliminate the problem by using the component connections. The picture is as good as with HDMI but you will have to connect either analog or optical(digital) audio. I have found this to be the best and most reliable setup for many installations.

Loves2watch's solution is now Dish's official position. Had a 622 installed on July 4th and the installer, a real Dish Network Employee- not a contractor, wanted me to use the component cables. Said there is a software issue with 622s using HDMI.

I insisted on using HDMI and so far....no problem.

Rick

Well mine started up again so I'll hook up the new one and try it for about 2 or 3 days before I send the other one back and if it still does it I'll probably just keep the one I've had unless someone thinks it's better to keep the refurbished one.

Also for all you people saying that I should use Component to solve my problem -- that is a stupid answer. First of all I have had my 622 for as long as they've been on the market and the HDMI has always worked. Secondly, I have a DVD/VCR for my kids movies, an xbox360 and my DVR. I only have 2 component connections on my TV which my xbox 360 and DVD/VCR combo uses both of them. My DVR uses HDMI because that is the only port I have available. Why have an HDMI port and advertise HDMI if everyone just says it doesn't work. I'd rather exchange my TV if that would fix the problem.

Last edited:
Yep- HDMI at least saves cables- back of my unit looks like an old AT&T switch board:eek:

I don't think trading your 622 will work- at least for now. There has to be a software fix coming----IF DISH is truthful about it being a software problem and not related to the original issue related to how the HDMI port is mounted to the board.

You might check your serial # and manufacture date and see if your unit was one of the original units with the above hardware issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts