HDMI Cables

Status
Please reply by conversation.

devans175

Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Perry Hall, MD
Am I really going to notice a difference between a "High End" HDMI cable which costs $100 or more and a "bargain" HDMI cable from somewhere like Cables Direct that costs $30?

Are you watching HD on DTV? If so, then its really not going to make a difference. If you get OTA channels, I can't say yea or nay, but I have a monoprice HDMI cable and it looks good to me.

It's really difficult to answer this question because to truely know if there is a difference you would have to find someone who has a high end cable and a low end cable. I was in BB this week and I saw a HDMI cable for $144. That's just too high of a price for me.

Am I really going to notice a difference between a "High End" HDMI cable which costs $100 or more and a "bargain" HDMI cable from somewhere like Cables Direct that costs $30?

If you buy a $100 cable instead of a $30 one, the only thing you will notice is the $70 missing from your wallet. There is no difference in the way an expensive cable transmits digital signals as compared to a cheaper one, none at all.

He's right. Those expensive cables, such as the Mon$ter crap, you're paying for marketing. I have purchased cables from MonoPrice and their cables are excellent and you keep the extra $$ to use for a new video game or get some pizza, beer and smokes! :)

If you buy a $100 cable instead of a $30 one, the only thing you will notice is the $70 missing from your wallet. There is no difference in the way an expensive cable transmits digital signals as compared to a cheaper one, none at all.

How true. With analogue, the difference between high-end and economy cabling is readily discernable (although some premium cables are extreme overkill -- did someone say Monster?). However with digital, the picture information is not decoded by the sat receiver -- it's decoded by the TV.

ALL cables exhibit some degree of lossyness. It is the challenge of the engineer to design the cable to have the lossyness imperceptible within the economic constraints. If a digital signal experiences loss, a viewer can easily tell. The nature of digital signals is GO/NO-GO, you would not have a sharp clear moving picture with clear sound. Depending on how your set deals with bit loss, you will probably have a picture that pauses for a moment or two then jumps up to real time again.

In short, for HiDef digital, you don't have to buy high.

Over 10 FT Yes 10 feet or less NO ///its a digital signal you either get it or you don't

unless it is over 10feet because you are more likely to have interference or noise

yes you will... The better the HDMI cable the better your picture. You should scimp on cables.

Sorry, but, no cable can make a picture look better, the cable can only pass along the data which is sent, there are many quality inexpensive cables that can do just that.

yes you will... The better the HDMI cable the better your picture. You should scimp on cables.

Nope

I have to agree with what others have said here. I bought a Crapster (Monster) HDMI cable a few years ago for an un-Godly price when I got my HD Tivo. The Audio died in it a year later. I just replaced it with a $6 Monoprice cable that was thicker and just seemed to be more "Heavy Duty". No change in PQ at all and I have audio through HDMI again. As I understand it a digital cable either passes the signal or doesn't, it makes no difference what kind of cable it is. Same thing with optical, it passes an optical signal. No shielding is needed because nothing any of us have in our homes would interfere with an optical signal. It really bothers me when I am in Best Buy or Circuit City and I see some 18 year old sales kid pushing Monster crap because they get a HUGE commission on it. I am proud to say that I have Monster Free home theater and will from now on!!!

Rant over, Happy Turkey day! (Yeah, the whole Monster vs. Other cable thing fires me up a bit)

Mike

get your HDMI cables from monoprice.com. I compared the cables I got from monoprice with the Monster cable I got from BB and found no difference on my Panasonic Plasma...with Monster you are sucking up their marketing kool aid and paying them for their advertising...

Nope

I have to agree with what others have said here. I bought a Crapster (Monster) HDMI cable a few years ago for an un-Godly price when I got my HD Tivo. The Audio died in it a year later. I just replaced it with a $6 Monoprice cable that was thicker and just seemed to be more "Heavy Duty". No change in PQ at all and I have audio through HDMI again. As I understand it a digital cable either passes the signal or doesn't, it makes no difference what kind of cable it is. Same thing with optical, it passes an optical signal. No shielding is needed because nothing any of us have in our homes would interfere with an optical signal. It really bothers me when I am in Best Buy or Circuit City and I see some 18 year old sales kid pushing Monster crap because they get a HUGE commission on it. I am proud to say that I have Monster Free home theater and will from now on!!!

Rant over, Happy Turkey day! (Yeah, the whole Monster vs. Other cable thing fires me up a bit)

Mike

Nothing wrong with Monoprice cable but you could of got it replaced free with monsters lifetime guarantee. Get it replaced and it sell on ebay.

As I posted in another thread, I have a Philips HDMI cable that I bought at Wal-Mart for $30 which looks just fine on my 32" Sharp Aquos. I have tested it compared to component RGB cables on both my HR20 and Playstation 3 and I definitely think the HDMI is better. I have not compared my HDMI cable with another more expensive one on my system, but I don't see myself noticing a difference in PQ that would warrant the at least $50 a cable at BB, CC, HH Gregg, Tweeter, or another store like that would charge. HDMI cables transmit digital signals as opposed to component/others that transmit analog. My "cheap" HDMI cable's picture looks amazing.

Nope

Mike

I don't think people that work at Circuit City or Best Buy get commissions anymore. I applied for a job there a few years ago when I was in college thinking I could get commissions but at the time was disappointed to hear the manager tell me they do not receive any commissions (given my interests at the time). BUT, you're right on that for HDMI and Digital Optical cables, it makes NO difference and they shouldn't peddle that sh*t on you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts