HDMI connection required?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
i am at mom's and i have her HR-22 connected to 4 HDTV's via a componet distribution amp. A movie or something came on hallmark HD and the screen message said HDMI connection required? wtf? is that HDCP kicking in? or was that movie 1080P and the politicians in hollywood dont allow 1080P over componet even though it is capable?

i am at mom's and i have her HR-22 connected to 4 HDTV's via a componet distribution amp. A movie or something came on hallmark HD and the screen message said HDMI connection required? wtf? is that HDCP kicking in? or was that movie 1080P and the politicians in hollywood dont allow 1080P over componet even though it is capable?

I don't know if it doesn't ever work, but sometimes component and 1080p don't play nice.

You have to use HDMI to get 1080p period. This is with everything including Blu-ray players, PS3 & not just D** recievers. HD TV broadcast is only at 1080i which works with the HDTV cables/Comp you are talking about. But to receive full HD/Blu-Ray you need HDMI connections & HDMI cable. Check out Blu-ray players which will state clearly to receive full HD & best HD or maximum at 1080p you need to connect via HDMI

Sorry to tell you but 1080p is not capable over component, 1080i is, you should check your specs

Component video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reproducing a video signal on a display device (for example, a CRT) is a straightforward process complicated by the multitude of signal sources. DVD, VHS, computers and video game consoles all store, process and transmit video signals using different methods, and often each will provide more than one signal option. One way of maintaining signal clarity is by separating the components of a video signal so that they do not interfere with each other. A signal separated in this way is called "component video". S-Video, RGB and YPbPr signals comprise two or more separate signals: hence, all are component-video signals. For most consumer-level applications, analog component video is used. Digital component video is slowly becoming popular in both computer and home-theater applications. Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, and new high definition TVs support the use of component video up to their native resolution.

1080p over component video standard

It could very well be the display or the source restricting. Bottom line is still the same however; just use HDMI.

Show me a device or something that allows full 1080p over anything other than HDMI, & not 1080i. Then I'll consider, but as far as displaying 1080p without HDMI, using any but HDMI results in loss of 1080p. I would like to hear from you, rather than copy/paste from a website and point to something that will use or display the 1080p specifically without HDMI

I had read once that 1080p is possible over componet video. I never honestly encountered this issue before since most all my equipment is HDMI. I do use componet video at Mom's so her HD directv pizza dish box will feed all her TVs through a ce labs componet video distribution amp. I then have baluns that convert to cat 5 utp.

I sincerely apologize for mis understanding that directv has some 1080p specific programming. I am not and probably will never be a dish network or directv subscriber. Small dish system's sub standard HD resolution does not impress me.

Sorry to tell you but 1080p is not capable over component, 1080i is, you should check your specs

Incorrect. It is not allowed, but component is more than capable of carrying 1080p. There were several upconverting DVD players that did 1080p over component.

S~

This is a copy and paste from abs forum!

So the answer is "yes" to is it physically possible to do 1080p over component, but protected movie content will still be subjected to 1080i over component (and less with higher restrictions set). Videogame output is still up to whatever the game designers feel obliged to target. Possibly homegrown hd videos burned to disc could still take advantage of 1080p over component, but likely that will be 1080i sourced anyways unless you are using very pro-level videocam equipment.

Exactly. XBOX can do 1080p over component.

S~

This is true. The xbox will display game content over component at 1080p. If I am not mistaken this is limited to games, but not because of a limitation in the component cables. They are more than capable.

I thought the OP was talking about a movie from the Hallmark channel which would not have been 1080p. I recently ran into a movie from VOD that was 1080i and it wouldn't play on the TV that was connected by component. The receiver was also connected to another TV with HDMI and as soon as I turned that TV on it started playing on both, if I turned the one with HDMI off then it went off on both. First time I've seen that.

That is what I was talking about....the directv hr 22 wouldn't play the hallmark HD movie over componet. One member was saying you cannot get 1080p over componet leading me to believe he thought it was not possible with componet video hardware.

I am usually pretty up to date. I was not aware directv protected their "Lite HD" so much...wow. Glad I am not a subscriber to the pizza dish services!

This is the first I've heard of that. We watch quite a few things on the Hallmark channels over component on both D* and E*. Never been a problem.

S~

That is what I was talking about....the directv hr 22 wouldn't play the hallmark HD movie over componet. One member was saying you cannot get 1080p over componet leading me to believe he thought it was not possible with componet video hardware.

I am usually pretty up to date. I was not aware directv protected their "Lite HD" so much...wow. Glad I am not a subscriber to the pizza dish services!

I haven't heard Directv's hd referred to as hd lite in a while. Where do you get your hd from?

If HDCP is required, DIRECTV receivers blank/silence the content on all but an HDCP satisfied connection.

Errant HDCP flags used to be a real problem but it is possible that this movie was "protected".

I think it likely that use of HDCP will increase in the long term and I think it unlikely that DIRECTV will implement downconverting for those without HDCP compliant connections.

If HDCP is required, DIRECTV receivers blank/silence the content on all but an HDCP satisfied connection.

Errant HDCP flags used to be a real problem but it is possible that this movie was "protected".

I think it likely that use of HDCP will increase in the long term and I think it unlikely that DIRECTV will implement downconverting for those without HDCP compliant connections.

You mean you need hdmi for all 1080p, some 1080i, and for some other content, right? IOW, just use hdmi and you are good to go. Why not just say that instead of trying to sound smart?

You mean you need hdmi for all 1080p, some 1080i, and for some other content, right? IOW, just use hdmi and you are good to go. Why not just say that instead of trying to sound smart?
Why sound like a dullard?

HDCP isn't about 1080i, 1080p, 720p, 480p or 480i. It is about content protection that requires an answer from the display.

There can be no mistaking that HDCP isn't going to be a problem for component users going forward. Apparently it needs to be stated directly and repeatedly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.