HDMI output on 8300HD box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nav

Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Does anyone know if or how to get the HDMI output to work on the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box. I have had the TV guy out and he says its the box. I have had Time Warner out and they have put in 3 boxes and swear to testing the HDMI output before bringing it out to the house. I get no picture or sound.

welcome to the site nay, glad you are here.

connect your hdmi cable and make sure the tv is on the hdmi input. go throught the initial setup by following the instructions in this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=457329&postcount=7

this is what it did when i got a new tv that had an hdmi. after the box turned on for the initial setup, the box should recognize the hdmi cable.

here is the link for the 8300 manual as well http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=64842

let us know if that still does not work for you.

Many of the suggestions in that thread (seem to) apply to SARA software based units, not Passport Echo, which seems to be what *most* TW divisions use.

That said, there are some compatibility issues between the boxes HDMI output and some TVs, especially projectors. The most widely used s/w release in use, v1.8.103, has these but the next release coming (it's been approved by TW corporate engineering and already deployed in some areas), v1.8.112, has resolved a LOT of these.

One thing to be sure and do is 1) turn the TV on first and wait a few seconds, say 5, then 2) turn the 8300 on. The two will NOT handshake properly if the set-top is turned on first.

I am using passport echo software on the 8300 box and the menu does not work. I have tried every combination of booting the tv and box together. Also I noticed that if you reboot the box and go to channel 999, which on time warner here in raleigh is a diagnostic channel that service uses, it states under the copy protection screen that "hdmi port blocked-hdcp auth failed". According to the time warner service rep this is normal but I have to wonder if this is the real cause of the issue. I would like to know if there are any time warner customers in the raleigh area that can use their hdmi port.

HDMI on 8300HD in Raleigh

Hey folks,

I am in Raleigh, NC. I have the Explorer 8300HD box. I have a Dell W4200HD plasma that *IS* connected via HDMI. It has worked on every 8300HD I've had (which is three - they have a tendency to overheat). Though I use an external audio decoder connected via Digital Optical (TOSLINK), I have verified that the HDMI is carrying audio and video without fail.

Incidentally, on the Diag channel (999), mine also says "hdmi port blocked-hdcp auth failed". Despite that, mine works without a problem.

One quick reminder for anyone using HDMI (and anything with HDCP), the TV has to be on BEFORE the cable box so it can make the HDCP handshake. Your TV may HAVE to support HDCP before it will work. You should verify that it does handle HDCP.

NateMan99

TV to Box "Handshake"

Do you always have to turn the TV on before the cable box to initiate the "handshake", or the first time during installation.

i have never had a problem with this. before i got my harmony remote, i turned on the tv or cable box first depending on what i shut off last. with the harmony, i don't know which one turns on first.

tad2, welcome to the site and hope to see you around.

With certain TVs, yes, you have to do this *everytime*. Like korsjs, my remote takes care of this "issue" for me as it turns the TV on first, then the cable box, with enough delay between the two that it just works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)