HDMI output on Onkyo TX NR676 not working.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
My new TX NR676 HDMI outputs do not work. Main or sub. I hooked up a brand new 18 Gbps HDMI cable and still get no output. I hooked the TiVo directly to the tv and tried all 4 HDMI tv inputs and they work. I disconnected all other HDMI inputs and used the new cable, but could not even access the settings menu on the 676. I ran several of my older cables from the TiVO to the tv and all worked. I hooked up the TiVo with a verified older cable to the 676 and the new cable to the tv and still can't even access the menu settings on the 676. The tv says no signal. HELP?

I ran a seperate cable from my Dish receiver and TiVo receiver to two of the tv inputs, so I can watch tv while
hoping someone hear can help me.

When you say new Onkyo TX-NR676, do you mean new-new, like the HDMI doesn't work out of the box, or is this a case of the HDMI output worked for a while, and then died? Does the front panel light up? You should be able to step through the basic settings and access the HDMI Output configuration to see if anything can be done there.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 23.37.28.png
Looking at the back panel, there are two HDMI outputs like you said. I wouldn't think the Sub output would work since that needs to be set up as a zone (if it's like the NR656). This receiver doesn't have Component or Composite Video output so that eliminates using an analog display. Do you have another TV or monitor that you could plug your TX-NR676 into to see if there is some compatibility issue?

Also, since this receiver has an Ethernet connections, you could try updating the firmware and see if Onkyo might have a fix in the firmware. Again, you'd need to navigate using the from panel display. It may not help, but it's worth a try.

If this receiver is under 30 days old, I'd return it to where you purchased it and get another one. I almost went with this unit to replace my old Yamaha in my family room.

It was hooked up out of the box and without video display output working. I cannot even access the setup menu. I checked all my tv inputs and get video from another source, but get a no signal on the tv when hooked up to the 676. Onkyo says I need all new HDMI cables rated at 18 Gbps. I unhooked all the cables and tried the one new cable that I had and ran a test with various used cables that worked when hooked between the Dish HWS and the tv, but none of them would work with the 676. I ordered some new cables that should be here today/
The front panel does light up. and I can see the outputs change when using the remote.

Well, guess what, I got two wires crossed when hooking up the HDMI. The 676 works fine now that I figured that out. Way too much wiring behind my tv. I have 6 HDMI components.

Reactions: Foxbat and Voyager6
Well, guess what, I got two wires crossed when hooking up the HDMI. The 676 works fine now that I figured that out. Way too much wiring behind my tv. I have 6 HDMI components.
I'm glad it was a "D'oh!" moment. I think you'll enjoy your new Onkyo receiver, I was impressed with the TX-NR656 we bought a year ago. You will want to make sure the firmware is updated to take advantage of tthe latest features.

I was upgrading from a 636 to a 676 and upgrading my HDMI cables, but even the speaker inputs on the back were swapped around from the 636. All the new HDMI cables looked exactly alike and I just hooked up the main out to the wrong cable end.
I have it hooked to the ethernet and it has updated the firmware already, plus I set it to notify me when updates are available.

Reactions: Foxbat
I was upgrading from a 636 to a 676 and upgrading my HDMI cables, but even the speaker inputs on the back were swapped around from the 636.
This is especially a problem if you used paired banana plugs and the outputs are no longer paired.
All the new HDMI cables looked exactly alike and I just hooked up the main out to the wrong cable end.
Another one that has caught hundreds of people off-guard are the active HDMI cables that are unidirectional. You have to make sure the large end is at the source. A friend of mine was nailed by this when he borrowed my capture box and plugged in the 30' active HDMI cable backwards.

Reactions: jerryez and Foxbat
Then, when I hooked up my BluRay player, inserted a dvd, it would not play. I got the onscreen picture, but when I hit play, it would start to play, but instantly stop. I changed cables and tried everything. So, I hooked it directly to the HDMI input on the tv and still no play. I went thru all the settings on the tv, turning each off or on and then tried the play to no avail. But, when I went thru the settings on the BluRay player and turned off the anynet+CEC switch, the darn dvd played. I don't use anynet, since I have the Harmony remote. It was turned off on the AV receiver and tv, but on on the BR player and the darn dvd would not play. Beware!
Hooked it back up thru the av receiver and everything now works.

I've never had an issue with CEC, but I've been using Panasonic for my optical HD media so they may have a better feel for CEC than Samsung (Anynet+) My in-Laws have all Samsung gear in their Family Room and it all plays well together and can be controlled using the TV's remote. The Frontier DVR is another matter, though, so they still need to have multiple remotes.

My new TX NR676 HDMI outputs do not work. Main or sub. I hooked up a brand new 18 Gbps HDMI cable and still get no output. I hooked the TiVo directly to the tv and tried all 4 HDMI tv inputs and they work. I disconnected all other HDMI inputs and used the new cable, but could not even access the settings menu on the 676. I ran several of my older cables from the TiVO to the tv and all worked. I hooked up the TiVo with a verified older cable to the 676 and the new cable to the tv and still can't even access the menu settings on the 676. The tv says no signal. HELP?

I ran a seperate cable from my Dish receiver and TiVo receiver to two of the tv inputs, so I can watch tv while
hoping someone hear can help me.

Hi, hope your problem is resolved. I need a small help. I connected Streaming Device, I am unable to get the surround sound to work. Do you know why?

I ended up buying all new HDMI cables ratest at18 gbps Some of mine were 18 gbps and some were not. Onkyo said that was my problem and it fixed my issue. You do not need expensive cables, just 18 gbps rated cables.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Our Onkyo TX-NR656 got zapped last year, and I am finally able to troubleshoot. I had to reassign the HDMI inputs due to the Cbl/Sat and Streaming HDMI inputs appearing to have failed. But after doing that, the receiver doesn’t seem to couple the digital output from decoding the reassigned inputs, even though the Information overlay shows that it recognized the audio channel.

Unfortunately, looking at replacement receivers that support older inputs and upconverts 480i to 1080p are pretty pricy. We have some older tech and it won’t be read by the TV.

I thought I needed component, S-video and the like as well but I haven't fired up any of that gear in a long time. As a matter of fact, I turned my AVR to pass-through yesterday. I bought a competent TV recently and I let it do the upconversion. The TV switches modes much faster than my AVR.

Phono inputs seem to be making a comeback but I'm not buying any vinyl so I don't need to chase after that.

Our Onkyo TX-NR656 got zapped last year, and I am finally able to troubleshoot. I had to reassign the HDMI inputs due to the Cbl/Sat and Streaming HDMI inputs appearing to have failed. But after doing that, the receiver doesn’t seem to couple the digital output from decoding the reassigned inputs, even though the Information overlay shows that it recognized the audio channel.

Unfortunately, looking at replacement receivers that support older inputs and upconverts 480i to 1080p are pretty pricy. We have some older tech and it won’t be read by the TV.
Try the Goodwill or pawn shops. They may have something.

I thought I needed component, S-video and the like as well but I haven't fired up any of that gear in a long time. As a matter of fact, I turned my AVR to pass-through yesterday. I bought a competent TV recently and I let it do the upconversion. The TV switches modes much faster than my AVR.

Phono inputs seem to be making a comeback but I'm not buying any vinyl so I don't need to chase after that.
All my vinyl is in the closet along with my 70's series equipment. Plan to will it to my nieces and nephews when I go.:angel2

I got a glimmer of hope when I found an entry that said the Onkyo had a Texas Instruments DSP chip that was known to corrupt its firmware. There was a procedure that would force a full Firmware download which I was able to do.

Unfortunately, this firmware reload did not fix my problem. What’s even weirder is the TOSlink Optical Inputs do not seem to work, but the single Coaxial digital input from the DVD player does.

Electronics are always weird when they get zapped. More than a thousand volts applied anywhere to the equipment will do that.

It is time you consider a new AVR as fixing these guys outside of warranty isn't cheap. You're probably going to have to change manufacturers as Onkyo & Pioneer Corporation isn't doing very well and Onkyo midrange AVRs are exceedingly hard to find.

Prices seem to be rather high right now and you shouldn't buy the tariff argument as a lot of this stuff is built outside China these days. I believe that Denon's non-flagship stuff is built mostly in Vietnam.

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts