HDMI Problems on VIP 211

Pinchhitter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Sacramento, CA
I am using HDMI with my 211 on a JVC 56" HD-ILA. When I change channels on the 211 the screen will go crazy, pink and green flashes and then the header on the station gets really big then back normal size again. This all occurs for about 2 seconds every time I change the channel.
Also the input name will appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen . That normally would only appear if I was changing inputs on the tv, and should not appear everytime I change the channel.
Then audio drops out on occassion, I have to unplug the HDMI cable from either behind the TV or the 211 and plug back in, the sound comes back.
Anyone else experience anything similar? Any suggestions?

I have seen this lately with my DVD player which has a HDMI output. All of a sudden my screen went green. I fiddled with the cable where it connects to the TV and it would do something similar to what you are seeing. I don't know that it is the HDMI input as I removed the cable and it appears that some of the pins on the HDMI cable are messed up. I think that the TV might have been moved out some putting some pressure on the connector and breaking the plastic around the pins of the cable itself. I am ordering a new HDMI cable this weekend and will be replacing it. It does sound though that it might be an issue with the cable at least and possibly the HDMI input although I have not heard of any problems with the input on the TV. If it winds up being the tv input then I will have to make a service call to have it looked at.

This only confirms what many AV installers and consumers already know. HDMI is a sucky interface that is causing tons of problems (search the web) and being forced to standardize on it is going to cause nothing but headaches in the future. The future might hold a new HDMI plug standard, which means you'll need A-B type cables to go between older and newer equipment.

Just know that the HDMI cable i very fragile, the 2-way communication is very tempermental, and the audio is not always reliable. Personally, I'll go with quality component video cables until they pry them out of my cold dead hands.

Two words: Duct Tape.

That'll keep the sucker from coming loose...:D

If I understand your OP correctly, after interruption, you do get your signal back. It sounds as if the HDCP "handshake" is initiated with every channel change. I'm no expert, but it sounds as if your monitor doesn't entirely trust your STB (for lack of a better analogy). Do you have any other HDMI devices with which you can troubleshoot? Not that E* boxes are free from problems, but my gut tells me this is related to your monitor.

Remember, I'm not an expert.

Let us know how things go.

I also have a 211 and 52" Hd-ila Jvc Tv and have no problems at all. If you are using HDMI, are you using input "Digital-IN".
My picture quality is excellent on HD, some of the SD looks like Sh*t. Sound is also awesome.
I would suggest you go to JVC USA's website make sure you have your model and Serial number. See if there are any issues with your TV. There was a problem with certain models and they fix it for free.
Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts