HDMI Thing Again!

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
I have a 622 which I have had since last April 06 and have had it hooked up to my Plasma with a HDMI cable. No problems what so ever. Yesterday I decided to hook up my new DVD recorder and I moved some cables to clean up the look. I also unplugged my HDMI cable from my 622. Guess what? Now I can't get it to work and when it does I only get video never any audio!! I went and hooked up some component cables I have and the video comes in just as good as the HDMI does on HD. The only thing I don't have is audio and I am assuming that I need a "optical" audio cable? Not sure. Audio and video come in just fine when the recorder is on. I have 2 HDMI plugs on my plasma and the Direct reciever I have works well on either connection so I know it isn't my monitor. I have to go to town and buy the audio cable but wanted to make sure I get the right one. Last night I called Dish and I went over everything with a Tech and we came to the conclusion that my 622 needed to be replaced. The only problem is I have quite a number of recordings which I don't want to lose. If the the components work well and the audio works well then I probably will cancel the replacment reciever and just keep mine until it really bombs!

I had a similar problem with my 211, and decided to open it up to see if it was a mechanical (physical) problem or software, and it turns out it was mechanical.

Some of the leads from the HDMI connector that are soldered onto the motherboard lifted off -- probably due to the weight of the connector pulling on the motherboard. I made a mess trying to resolder it, so now I'm using component only, along with the optical output for audio.

I bought the 211 almost 2 yrs ago, so it's not in warranty.

Off topic

I had a similar problem with my 211, and decided to open it up to see if it was a mechanical (physical) problem or software, and it turns out it was mechanical.

Some of the leads from the HDMI connector that are soldered onto the motherboard lifted off -- probably due to the weight of the connector pulling on the motherboard. I made a mess trying to resolder it, so now I'm using component only, along with the optical output for audio.

a little solder wick or a solder sucker should help you clean up the PCB. Finely stranded speaker wire (soft, fine strands of copper) may pick up the mess if that's all you can get.

tips on desoldering from Google U:
How To Desolder

I did use a wick, but still ended up damaging the connector so I removed it. I'll find a local shop that can replace it.

You may also try to do a hard reset on the TV at the same time. The signals have to sync.
In regards to the other 211 post...
If you open it up you void any warranty. If anyone runs into a problem like this remember Dish may be able to do an out of warranty exchange after the 1 year warranty which is a lot cheaper than buying a new one. If you have DHPP Dish Home Protection Plan on your account problems like this can be addressed after 1 year warranty as well. It's only $5.99/month and protects ALL of your Dish equipment as long as the warranty is on your account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)