HDMI to DVI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigpro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
I'm sure this has been rehashed but I've searched the forums and can't find the answer I need.
H10 with HDMI to 50" WEGA with DVI. Less than 4 feet away. What's the best option? It seems like everyone thinks an HDMI to DVI cable, not an adapter. Okay, then which one? Everyone seems to think Monster is overpriced, but I'm leery of the 10 buck cables on Ebay or even the 20 buck ones on Amazon. Any experience here?

I'm using the HDMI to DVi cable that came with my HR10-250, great picture no problems, and I am sure it is a cheap cable.

No way would I ever waste my money on anything labled Monster, I am sure Monster cables are good, but you cannot convince me a $100 "Monster" Cable provides a noticeably better picture than a "RCA" or "Acoustic Research" cable for less than half the price.

I say, buy what you can afford or what you are willing to spend. If you're rich and like to waste money, buy Monster. If you are like me then buy something else. If you find a super cheap Monster Cable on ebay, then go for it.

One thing to remember is that HDMI/DVI are digital connections...the signal either gets to the TV or it doesn't. One could make an argument that spending a bunch of money on high quality analog cables makes a better picture, but with digital signals, the picture looks the same no matter how much you spend on the cable!

Thanks to shugo, riffjim, smitty, asousa, and hancox for their input. Very helpful! :D I know I can always find the answer here, even if it's off-topic.

smitty825 said:
One thing to remember is that HDMI/DVI are digital connections...the signal either gets to the TV or it doesn't. One could make an argument that spending a bunch of money on high quality analog cables makes a better picture, but with digital signals, the picture looks the same no matter how much you spend on the cable!

Not really true. Although its digital, there is no error correction built into the DVI/HDMI protocol. Poor quality cables will cause errors (or packet loss) in the digital stream that appear as speckles or noise. This is a well known problem with DVI, especially on longer cable runs.

Now, that said, in most instances with a short cable run (10 feet or less), you probably won't see a difference between an inexpensive $10 cable and the $150 Monster. For peace of mind, I prefer to spend just a little more for one of the many of the high quality (non-Monster) cables that are available in the $30-$40 range. They tend to have better connectors which is probably the most important factor.

bigpro said:
I'm sure this has been rehashed but I've searched the forums and can't find the answer I need.
H10 with HDMI to 50" WEGA with DVI. Less than 4 feet away. What's the best option? It seems like everyone thinks an HDMI to DVI cable, not an adapter. Okay, then which one? Everyone seems to think Monster is overpriced, but I'm leery of the 10 buck cables on Ebay or even the 20 buck ones on Amazon. Any experience here?

I used the Monster Adapter ($25) and have no issues.

I bought the .99 cent 6-ft DVI-HDMI cable (like $8-9 total after shipping). Works just fine, and got it in three days between order and arrival. No compliants at all.

I don't know much and I am using Component to my Panny Projector. Is the DVI-HDMI a better way to go?? Will it actually provide a better pic than the component

To my eyes, it looked slighty better I suppose. But, it could have been wishful thinking on my part. Because I wasn't convinced it'd look 50x better, I went the eBay cable route as I mentioned above. ~$9 wasn't much to spend to find out. :)

I went with the HDMI on Sony LCD and what a dissapointment, I much perfer the PQ with component cables. And for all the Monster cable haters out there or anyone else, the fact that you spend a great deal of cash for the best picture possible from a Plasma or LCD and then cry about the price of a cable is just silly.

FlyingJ said:
I don't know much and I am using Component to my Panny Projector. Is the DVI-HDMI a better way to go?? Will it actually provide a better pic than the component

It is supposed to be better, but I don't think I noticed much difference.

The good thing about it is that it is only 1 little cable vs. the 5 component cables.

That is a true bebefit, but you aren't going to get good 5.1 sound from a TV. In fact, he mentioned a projector, so he must have a secondary source to handle the sound anyway. So, if you have a dedicated AMP/Receiever, you still have some sort of digital audio conenction. Still holds though, 2 connections version either 4 or 5.

On mine, I have all Component Video switched through my receiver (including HD box, XBOX, DVD) and also HD box going directly to DVI box as well.

HDMI and DVI bring the picture digitally to your set. When you use component you lose a little in the process, because component is analog. From the receiver the component turns the signal to analog and then the t.v brings it back to digital. The HDMI keeps everything digital. I think you would notice a difference in the picture. I don't think there is any need to spend tons of cash though. Ultra Link is a good cable.

palese said:
And for all the Monster cable haters out there or anyone else, the fact that you spend a great deal of cash for the best picture possible from a Plasma or LCD and then cry about the price of a cable is just silly.

I don't think it's silly, with a TV you don't have a choice but to spend money if you want quality. I spent $1800 on my Hitachi HDTV monitor (1 1/2 years ago), if I could have bought a generic brand TV that was equal in quality for a fifth of the price ($360) I would have done it in an instant. If anyone has seen any 51" HDTV monitors for $360, please let me know... :)

With cables, however; you do have that choice. There is no way anyone could convince me that their eyes see a difference when using a $30 cable compared to a $150 Monster Cable. Therefore I opt for the cheaper cable and consider Monster cables a waste of money. Buying a Monster cable is like buying a pair of Nike shoes, you are paying more money for the name than you are for quality.

All of this being said, maybe Monster Cables are better, but I am of the belief that the difference is so suttle, that are brains and eyes are not capable of noticing it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)