HDMI vs. Component

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DTVNoob

Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Hey Guys, sorry to ask such a rookie question (hence the username)

I'v got a Samsung DLP 1080 56" (can't remember the model #) I've had it for about a year now w/ directv's HD+DVR. I recently moved and had DirecTV come out and install the new satellite.

While the techinican was out here I asked him about component vs. HDMI cables. I do not have HDMI cables, I am currently running on component. The tech. told me I would not get any better connection w/ HDMI, just less wires.

My questions are this:

1) Would HDMI cables give me a better picture quality?
2) I was told DirecTV should have included HDMI cables, which they did not, is this true?
3) Which HDMI cables (if any) do you recomend, and what is the cost?

Thanks for the help in advance. I love reading through some of these posts..lots of informative people here!

I find no difference in picture or sound quality between HDMI and Component.

I can't remember whether or not my HR20 included an HDMI cable.

If you decide to get HDMI cables, don't even consider Monster ones.

They are priced much higher than ones you can yet from places like Monoprice. If I remember correctly the Monster ones are usually over $100, while the Monoprice ones are usually around $20.

Only thing Ive noticed between comp and hdmi is brightness, but that can be easily remedied with tv adjustment.

I 2nd the monoprice.com cables. I get my 2 6 footers for $15 a pc and they are built well.

1 cable should have been in the box. The other posters are right on about monoprice.com. fast shipping too. If you go to one of their pages scroll down to the bottom where the lower prices are. Quality is excellent.

Both can devliver equal PQ, but don't always.
There is a conversion process when you use a digital TV and a Digital STB, with component cables, but if this conversion is done properly then there will be no difference. Some TVs are known for having very poor component inputs, while others are great.

So it really comes down to your equipment. I can't tell the difference on my Pioneer 60" plasma (6010), so you might want to pick up an HDMI cable and see for yourself.

For the record, one year ago, HDMI cables would NOT have been included with the HD receiver. HDMI cables began to be offered about 6-8 months ago with H20 & HR20's.

There really is no difference between HDMI and Component, if you look hard enough maybe HDMI is a bit crisper but nothing significant. This surprised me as prior to getting an HD everybody told me HDMI was far better, but it really isnt. I do think the audio is better via HDMI though.

My HR20 box came with one HDMI cable.

Any HDMI cables will do, there really is no difference. My TV supports HDMI 1.3 so i spent a little more for HDMI 1.3 cables and I dont really notice a difference.

For me HDMI (actually DVI for me) is a little sharper and brighter. As has been pointed out, the cable isn't that expensive. I suggest buying one and deciding for yourself which is better on your set. Follow up with a reply here. I'd be curious to see what you think.

Oh yeah, my HR-20 came with an HDMI cable (about 2 months ago) which I had to adapt to DVI.

Thanks for all the replies...I'm ready to buy some and give it a try. I checked out monoprice.com, can anyone give me the specific cables they recomend to purchase? I really appreciate the help!

If your TV supports HDMI 1.3 and you're interested in HDMI 1.3 cables then search on monoprice for item 3662. Thats what I have. If you need 15 feet cables then search for 3663.

I find that HDMI gives me better PQ on my samsung plasma and component gives me equal PQ on a ED plasma. should have been a cable in the box, and yes if you buy one, go cheap, no diff.

Thanks for all the replies...I'm ready to buy some and give it a try. I checked out monoprice.com, can anyone give me the specific cables they recomend to purchase? I really appreciate the help!

Call them and complain that there was no HDMI in the box and they will more then likely give you a credit for the price you pay for a cable. It should be in the box but I think some installers take them and sell them.

They gave me a credit after I received a system without a cable.

For the record, one year ago, HDMI cables would NOT have been included with the HD receiver. HDMI cables began to be offered about 6-8 months ago with H20 & HR20's.
For the record, BOLOGNA. My HR10-250 came with HDMI cable many many moons ago.

Hey Guys, sorry to ask such a rookie question (hence the username)

I'v got a Samsung DLP 1080 56" (can't remember the model #) I've had it for about a year now w/ directv's HD+DVR. I recently moved and had DirecTV come out and install the new satellite.

While the techinican was out here I asked him about component vs. HDMI cables. I do not have HDMI cables, I am currently running on component. The tech. told me I would not get any better connection w/ HDMI, just less wires.

My questions are this:

1) Would HDMI cables give me a better picture quality?
2) I was told DirecTV should have included HDMI cables, which they did not, is this true?
3) Which HDMI cables (if any) do you recomend, and what is the cost?

Thanks for the help in advance. I love reading through some of these posts..lots of informative people here!
Its possible your tech looted the box. Call D* and demand every cable that was supposed to be in that box.

The HR10, being a different manufacturer, may have included the cables when the were boxed & shipped. The H20 and HR20 did not initially come with HDMI cables until about 6 months or so ago, as was previously pointed out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)