HDNet/HDNet Movies now Mpeg4

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Per last tech chat, the rest of the mpeg2 channels are supposed to go mpeg4. Has that happened yet?

The date on that is supposed to be December 1st when current MPEG-2 HD's will be available only in MPEG-4.

I can finally take solace, that my old Dish 6000 can no longer be used for hacking. I had sold it many years ago on eBay when I got my 921. It sold for over $400 and I just knew that the customer (a Doctor no less) was paying that much for just one reason.

I had faith that Dish would have a swap out that would render it unable to hack, but I guess that never happened. But now that MPEG-2 is history for HD, I know that the box is finally useless. Well I guess it can still serve up SD, but you know what I mean. Heck, I'd rather have a 311 than that turd 6000. Well, it does do HD OTA. So I guess its not a complete paper weight.

Is there functionality on my receiver (ViP 722) that will allow me to check if a particular channel is MPEG-2 or MPEG-4?

Is there functionality on my receiver (ViP 722) that will allow me to check if a particular channel is MPEG-2 or MPEG-4?
Record something now (before the switch-over) and save it. Record the same program after word of the switch-over takes place. The later recording should be 2/3-3/3 if not 1/2 the size.

Record a show for 15 min or more, check its size pressing DVR-4-2 (My Media, Send to Device). You do have the EHD enabled and plugged in, I hope.

If it is HD and the size is 3200 to 4400 MB/hour, it is MPEG-2.
For 1400 to 2800 MB/hour, it is MPEG-4. Dish HD locals are MPEG-4.
OTA may go over 5000 MB/hour for best quality, full bandwidth MPEG-2.
BTW, you cannot tell on the DVR if it is 720p or 1080i source except by size, maybe.

Just found a Dish local hour at 1400, likely because it is ABC Boston Legal at 720p, while it was 2800 for NBC Chuck 1080i. Funny, the BL of prior week was 2600 like Chuck. So it does vary a lot or they lower the bandwidth or change compression some weeks?

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts