HDNet/HDNet Movies now Mpeg4

IMHO, it makes no sense to change the audio codec from AC3. Millions of people have A/V receivers that can decode AC3 from optical or coax inputs, tens of thousands more have TVs that can accept AC3 audio on HDMI and downmix it to play out the TVs speakers or pass it (possibly still as DD5.1) thru an optical output to an A/V receiver. If the audio were switched to AAC (part of the MPEG-4 standard), then millions of people would no longer be able to listen to discrete surround sound, and be forced to downmix to two channels. Makes no sense at all to change.

How did you get it to spell out 'December' in the R5000 ts name, BB? Is this in the date code settings?

IMHO, it makes no sense to change the audio codec from AC3. Millions of people have A/V receivers that can decode AC3 from optical or coax inputs, tens of thousands more have TVs that can accept AC3 audio on HDMI and downmix it to play out the TVs speakers or pass it (possibly still as DD5.1) thru an optical output to an A/V receiver. If the audio were switched to AAC (part of the MPEG-4 standard), then millions of people would no longer be able to listen to discrete surround sound, and be forced to downmix to two channels. Makes no sense at all to change.
I agree, I wasn't looking for a codec change, just wondering if there were similar audio enhancements to go along with the video ones...

How did you get it to spell out 'December' in the R5000 ts name, BB? Is this in the date code settings?

That's a preference in the DVR (actual recording) app when manually recording. There is also a PVR app included that uses guide info from TitanTV. When you schedule a recording with the PVR app, it generates a file name from the name of the program, and then passes it to the DVR app to use as the output file name.

From the MPEG group's website, they say that MPEG is "the development of standards for coded representation of digital audio and video".

Is "codec" an improper word ? Maybe... Only you would point it out though. Did everyone else understand what I meant ? I'd venture to say they did.

Codec is short for (en)coder/decoder.

I understood what you said - but you are just adding confusion to this thread.

There are separate codecs for audio and video, and except for container formats that enforce use of particular codecs (MPEG-4 container does not allow AC-3 audio for example), there is nothing stopping you from mixing and matching them. As of right now, I believe Dish is using the following (I will admit I haven't checked all of this recently and am only familar with the channels I receive, and am not up to date with what is going on with locals in other parts of the country):

MPEG-4.10 (H.264/AVC) video codec for HD channel video
MPEG-2 video codec for SD channel video
AC-3 audio codec for HD channel audio
MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio codec for SD channel audio

Standards not currently used by Dish include the MPEG-4.2 video codec, which is XviD/DivX, MPEG-1 Layer 3 audio (mp3),
and the MPEG-4 audio codec, which is AAC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts