"HDR On" incorrectly with LG Display and Hopper 3

I posted on AVS as well but I was unable to change OLED Light, Contrast and Gamma after the H3 was installed and later discovered it was the HDR doing it so I had to power off the LG 65EF9500 UHD/4K OLED, unplug the HDMI cable and then powered the LG on to do the picture adjustments as I didn't want to kill the tuner buffering for a channel I was watching, then powered off to plug the HDMI cable back in. Is there a way to manually turn off the HDR on the tv? Also, can HDMI be unplugged/plugged with the TV still on? Also, does the H3 still do nightly reboots? I couldn't tell as I had a autotune at 2AM kicking in so the H3 was not in standby by the time I turned on the tv which is later in the day.

I still have the HDR on regardless what I do and my H3 is directly connected to HDMI 1 on the 65EF9500, I am switching between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 which is a Oppo BDP-105D with a Hopper 2000 that I am still using to transfer records to a External HD on.

I had put it in standby, and did the Reset via menu and even pulled the power cord and it all had the same results, HDR is on when I switch to that input. I'm still on software vU301, do you have U303 already? In any case, the HDR doesn't bother me as I unplugged the HDMI cable and did all the picture settings using the ones on rtings.com and plugging the HDMI back in.

I do have U303.

From my understanding, if it is in standby it should do the nightly update and then HDR will be off (what happened to me), and if you do a reset after that HDR will come back on until the next nightly update.

Maybe that's the reason. I never have my box on standby as I turned it off since I thought the H3 was supposed to do the nightly updates as I have a autotune at 2AM set daily just for that purpose. From what I read on the software vU303 thread, it appears that the software updates are no longer automatic and only happens when you put the H3 on standby either based on the settings of being idle or if you manually put it in standby which was what I had done 30 minutes ago as it's still on standby now. I've never watched but how long does the firmware update usually take and does it download via the satellite or does it do it using the internet connection?

I think SW updated are pushed by rcvr ID so you get it when you get it.

I hit the DVR power button on my remote every night when we are done, which of course doesn't truly cut it off.

Yes except I had never powered off or put the H3 into standby since February 7th, the same day I got the H3 installed. I only put it on standby about 1.5 hrs ago and it downloaded. The H3 no longer shuts off and reboots on it's own unless you had the standby settings set to a certain idle time, otherwise you will not see the software update until the box goes into standby which you have to do manually by powering off as it's no longer automatic. If I didn't put the H3 into standby manually, even next year, I would still have U301 unless there was a power outage or something.

I have an LG 65EF9500 and I get the HDR is on every time I turn on my Hopper 3. It doesn't in any way seem to effect the picture but I am also having terrible picture quality issues on Hopper 3 compared to my Hopper 2. At first I was thinking this could be a related problem but I am not sure at this point.

Gotcha, guess they got tired of everyone complaining about the nightly reboot popup LOL.
Took them long enough as I complained about that one in November 2012 when I first got DISH Service with the Hopper on 11/17/2012. D*TV doesn't require nightly reboots and can update fine. They need something to update the software without the user turning the box off manually with maybe a prompt on the screen except the default is to not reboot. Otherwise, people might complain about problems which is actually fixed with the software update. LOL.

My image is obviously worse when HDR is on and it goes into torch mode. It's noisier too. I spent time setting brightness, contrast and OLED light for a reason. Plus, HDR10 content is supposed to only highlight spectral areas, not the entire screen. It's 100% a bug IMO.

What exactly is torch mode? It seems like when HDR is on, it basically takes over the picture settings on the TV as in my case, I was actually trying to adjust the picture settings on the tv and couldn't figure out certain things were greyed out until I saw the HDR is on bit.

I wouldn't know since remember my H3 would always put the tv in HDR on regardless so I don't know what it looks like with it off. LG should have something on the remote to manually turn HDR off or on since you don't want some hardware or anything else controlling your picture settings on the tv.

Reactions: bmetelsky

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts