Status
Not open for further replies.

cdru

Just another yahoo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Just as soon as you go and sink 3 grand into a television they come out with something better...

Shamelessly ripped from Slashdot:
This story about UHDV (Ultra High Definition Video) comes from the NY Times. Here are a few specs from the article: 'picture size of 7,680 by 4,320 pixels'; 'UHDV's beefed-up refresh rate of 60 frames per second (twice that of conventional video), projected onto a 450-inch diagonal screen with more than 20 channels of audio'; '22.2 sound: 10 speakers at ear level, 9 above and 3 below, with another 2 for low frequency effects'; AND THE KICKER, 'All those sound channels and all those image pixels add up to a lot of data. In test, an 18-minute UHDV video gobbled up 3.5 terabytes of storage (equivalent to about 750 DVD's). The data was transmitted over 16 channels at a total rate of 24 gigabits per second.'

I read about that earlier. It was streamed via Internet2, right? That's a helluva backbone (AT&T is good too ;) )

It's inefficient and the improvements wouldn't even be perceivable beyond a certain point.

I wonder how many are going to wait to get UHDV now instead of HDTV as a result? Could one compare what HD signals would look like on the UHDV tv's as what SD signals look like on HDTV's? If so then I can only imagine what SD would look like on an UHDV tv.

Let's see most have waited from 88 to 98 for HD and are now waiting another 10 years for UHD, sounds like a bit of procrastination, doesn't it?

toto's right on

let's be realistic, this stuff wont be out for quite a whille. The bandwidth to carry this type of video exceeds the current and near future capabilities of staellite and cable. You will need one hell of a pipe to get that video to a monitor.

just my .02
Mike

I agree with Turd. Hell, HDTV still isn't supported on a widespread basis and it's taken FOREVER to get as far as we are know. Don't expect to see that Ultra crap take hold within the next decade. Techno geeks like us don't mind wasting the $$ to pickup cutting edge HDTV's and receivers, but most people can't afford it, or won't pay it, and that's why it takes so long for a standard like this to become wide spread. Still, I LOVE my HDTV picture and I can't imagine wanting anything better for quite awhile.

Eventually there will be an unlimited amount of bandwidth, plenty enough to do anything one needs to do with it, but who knows when that would be. All of this new advancement could happen sooner than you can think. Just look at what has happened in just the past 10-15 years. We went from hardly anybody having satellites and computers to a major part of the population having one or the other if not both. Just look at the predictions for the future in 2010, 2020, 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)