HDTV on C band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

deck402

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
I am not sure if this is right forum but I want to decode the HD stuff that is on C band. There is no local HD OTA so want to go this route. I have a 8 ft mesh dish set up for C/KU with a Motorola 922. I think I just need a tuner to feed into my LCD HDTV "ready" set. Any recomendations on this or should I be in a different forum.

I agree with Jim, the Quali-tv, QS 1080IR, is well worth it to me. It's around $700. Most people go the PC card route, it's cheaper, I know nothing about those. Someone who does will probably chime in, sooner or later. Good luck on your decision.

Al

The PC card solution is alright but there is a huge learning curve with them. I much prefer the Integra or the QualiTV to the PC solution. Its just considerably more money.

I use the DVB World USB card for HD C-Band, see the review area :)

Twinhan cards are also very popular. That's what I use. The only problem with the PC card approach, besides the already mentioned learning curve, is delivery of the programming to your TV. You'll need a component, DVI, HDMI, or RGB input on the TV and a the corresponding output on the PC. You'll also need to have a PC next to the TV or if that's not possible do like me and spend a lot of time fishing wiring through walls and ceilings from the PC to the TV.

Mike

Another vote for the QualiTV receiver. It's got some quirks in the receiver, but it's easy to use for the most part. You can select various HD formats if/when the need arises.

I will cast another vote for QualiTv, I've had mine close to a year, if not already,
best money I ever spent. It is not a blind scan receiver, but it works
well for what I need and want.

deck402 said:
I am not sure if this is right forum but I want to decode the HD stuff that is on C band. There is no local HD OTA so want to go this route. I have a 8 ft mesh dish set up for C/KU with a Motorola 922. I think I just need a tuner to feed into my LCD HDTV "ready" set. Any recomendations on this or should I be in a different forum.

I am testing HD on two different PCV DVB-S cards on 2 different computers .

One is a 2.8 gig Celeron 335 EMachine . This computer does not quite have the horsepower for HD .

The other is a AMD 64 3400+ Compaq . It has the power to do HD . Both using onboard audio and video , both on computer monitors .

Running MtTheatre on both .

There is a learing curve with the sat cards .

A lot of peoples are waiting for a popurly priced DVB-S HD Set Top Box receiver .

Wyr

Don't the external USB2 receivers have software (3rd party) that will run on a Mac? I use a PC for my Starbox, but I seem to remember seeing Mac drivers/software somewhere... or was that Linux?

Also just read an article the other day that Windows will now run on a Mac with some NEW offical software from Mac :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)