Status
Please reply by conversation.

gawdog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2005
texas
well gang
finaly sprang for the big hdtv receiver,and frankly it sucks! no specific complaints about the dtc 210 that i really did not want(needed s360 to be compatilble w/hlp 5660 remote).hdtv stations are lacking,most stations
picture is cropped unbelievably one way or the other and the dadgum off-air
broadcasts are just f,n cropped.sad to say that current hdtv leaves alot to
be desired .

g.d.goodman :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :smug :mad:

Did you bother to research what was avail in HD before dishing out the cash? Many of us are willing to pay for it even for just a few shows..

well,yes i did .i dont mind dishing out the cash ,as you say.just expected
a little better from what was available

well,yes i did .i dont mind dishing out the cash ,as you say.just expected
a little better from what was available

Well enjoy what's there and tweak your tv for best results.. that's what we all do..

gawdog said:
so are you saying ,im not alone.just make do with it
accept the things you cannot change and the wisdom to know the difference

No, i think what he was saying is that if you did any research, then you should have known what was avail now and about how long until new chnls were added, BEFORE you spent any cash. Therefore if you didn't like what was being offered, you should have waited on buying the hardware. You can't really complain about it sucking. We all agree that we want more, but things take time and what we have doesn't suck.

gawdog said:
well gang
finaly sprang for the big hdtv receiver,and frankly it sucks! no specific complaints about the dtc 210 that i really did not want(needed s360 to be compatilble w/hlp 5660 remote).hdtv stations are lacking,most stations
picture is cropped unbelievably one way or the other and the dadgum off-air
broadcasts are just f,n cropped.sad to say that current hdtv leaves alot to
be desired .

g.d.goodman :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :smug :mad:

Ya should a got Voom. It doesn't suck! I just terminated my DirecTV and got Voom. I now have 51 HD channels. Is it all HD content, nope, but a lot of it is. The only thing missing from Voom is the DVR but it shouldn't be long for that.

i am not saying a thing about the channels or lack that are presently available.i did do
research on what was/is.i dont recall many/any mention of having to watch scrunched up picture on widescreen tv. dont get me wrong,i think hd picture is sweet.just expected a little better from what is available. and please do not patronize ,i am an avid tv/audio home theater nut.(or so wife& everyone else says)
note: hlp5663,dtc 210 ,marantz sr18 ,mm 9000,dv7010 ,nht vt1.4,vs1.4,nht sub one

I have Directv and VOOm and I have to say VOOM is the way to go for now. Im not saying that Directv wont catch up...but for right now if you are just beginning, Voom is the way to go. They dont have a DVR though. Voom also doesnt offer HD locals via sat but to me OTA is the best HD you can get right now.

vinnyv07 said:
I have Directv and VOOm and I have to say VOOM is the way to go for now. Im not saying that Directv wont catch up...but for right now if you are just beginning, Voom is the way to go. They dont have a DVR though. Voom also doesnt offer HD locals via sat but to me OTA is the best HD you can get right now.
With very little future seeing they are selling their uplink center and the satellite they are broadcasting from to DISH Network for $200million. They aren't selling their customers though. :)

Gawdog have you played with the formats on your TV. It sounds like you are watching standard definition broadcasts in the stretched mode.

ive tried all of the combinations i can think of/find to no avail at this point.
however if it is just a setting issue you can bet i will figure it out.thank you

gawdog said:
i am not saying a thing about the channels or lack that are presently available.i did do
research on what was/is.i dont recall many/any mention of having to watch scrunched up picture on widescreen tv. dont get me wrong,i think hd picture is sweet.just expected a little better from what is available. and please do not patronize ,i am an avid tv/audio home theater nut.(or so wife& everyone else says)
note: hlp5663,dtc 210 ,marantz sr18 ,mm 9000,dv7010 ,nht vt1.4,vs1.4,nht sub one

gawdog,
I hope it is just a menu setting.
Side note: haven't ran into anyone with the same speakers I have & matched with the same amp.......

Barney

;) it appears that the bad cropping on ota high def. only occurs during
commercials and other non hd broadcasts.but what is up w/espn hd they
have a fancy border to fill there cropped section (hd 4.3?????) ph yea,how do youlike your amp/speaker combo? i love the setup.am using the sr 18
(older model)as pre/amp. has the same tuner as av 9000,which is out
of production.the 5 channels of m9000 running towers bi amped and center vs.
two vs surrounds powered by receiver output

gawdog said:
;) it appears that the bad cropping on ota high def. only occurs during
commercials and other non hd broadcasts.but what is up w/espn hd they
have a fancy border to fill there cropped section (hd 4.3?????) ph yea,how do youlike your amp/speaker combo? i love the setup.am using the sr 18
(older model)as pre/amp. has the same tuner as av 9000,which is out
of production.the 5 channels of m9000 running towers bi amped and center vs.
two vs surrounds powered by receiver output

Great! The commercials aren't HD. Also during sporting events, some cameras aren't HD either. If your seeing side bars, they are sending a 4:3 (480I upconverted) program with the side bars but your STB/ monitor is receiving 16:9 (can't use zoom modes because your STB/monitor "sees" 16:9-4:3 with side bars).

I used to use my Marantz SR880 as a pre-pro but I got a great deal on my Rotell RSP 1066......alot of difference. Love the NHT's.

Barney

I agree

vinnyv07 said:
I have dish and Voom. Downgraded my dish programming, to avoid duplication with voom. That is what you might want to consider, downgrade your DTV, and get Voom for there deal which includes free hardware and installation with a six months contract. In six months DTV should have there HDTV act together, and you can compare which one suits your needs

well hd for a week

:rolleyes: well gang here we are got all of the settings figured out .still
think dtv,s hd offerings leave alot to be desired.the shows,movies etc.
are definatly dated.but the picture is awesome.local broadcasts of 24,
csi,in hd and dolby are pretty cool. will just hang in and see what the
future holds.so far the rca dtc 210 seems to be a pretty good receiver
although i havent a thing to compare it to other than the converted
standard signal is better also,than my old standard rca

Status
Please reply by conversation.