HDTV

john dusek

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2005
east bernard Texas
Am looking to buy a LG 41 inch that supports a 1024x768 system,instead if a 1920x1080. They told me that Dish only supports the 1024x768,is this true? How much difference would I notice between the two on a plasma 3D.(good price on unit) If Dish only supports the 768,then thats all I would need. As you can,am not very clear on the subject. Need some help.

Not true. Different networks transmit in different resolutions; Dish supports them all.

Anyway, the receiver (or even the TV set, for OTA or a mis-set receiver), will translate the signal resolution to the TV display resolution. In your case, the broadcast signal will always be converted to some degree, to match the 768.

BTW, 768 is not a broadcast standard. It is commonly used on certain displays. Broadcasts are often 1920 * 1024 (nominal) or 1280*720.

On a 41", you're just at the margins to maybe notice some difference between a 1080 or a "768" display.

Another thing to consider is, if you add a bluray player to the mix, you really want 1080P to get all the visual benefits....

The specks say native display resolution is 1024x768. Dont understand,if its not HD,how can it get 3D. This has turned out to be more trouble than buying a car. Is it just a lower quality HD? Have an old 34 inch Sony(tube)and when its acting right,gets a better picture than a lot of new ones.(but its old and weighs at least 100 lbs.)

Could you post a picture or a link to this TV specs please? I'm curious to see how or why they would say 1024x768 is HD but the fact of the matter is that resolution is definitely NOT HD at all.

Found other spec sheet: Just Scan(1:1 Pixels matching) HDMI:1080/10801/720P For component and RF. This is exactly what is printed. This is for a LG-42PW350 Plasma. I figured this was a cheap way to get into 3D,as am sure in the next few years,it will change. This TV looked very good in the store compared to the others. Can you believe this,I told the clerks at the store the TVs looked good but the focus was not as good as my old Tube set and they said its because they are not adjusted precisely and they had two set up for a demonstration,one adjusted electronically,and the other adjusted normally. Now they said to get it adjusted electorally,they charge $200,as they use a $20K machine to adjust it. Told him he was crazy to think anyone would pay $200 to adjust a $700 TV. This was at 2 Best buy stores. Thanks

Now they said to get it adjusted electorally,they charge $200,as they use a $20K machine to adjust it. Told him he was crazy to think anyone would pay $200 to adjust a $700 TV. This was at 2 Best buy stores. Thanks
Though I too, would never spend $200 for "calibration" (mostly because of my years in film and video production and I trust my own eyes) many, many people do not think twice about it. In in many cases, the money is well spent. Just depends on one's desire for perfection, as subjective as it may be.

Could you post a picture or a link to this TV specs please? I'm curious to see how or why they would say 1024x768 is HD but the fact of the matter is that resolution is definitely NOT HD at all.

Absolutely. Even at 41" I think you'd see the differences and come to regret the decision. I'd really pass on this TV. In a few months you'll likely be able to get something with better specs for less. And 3D seems to be leveling off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts