Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
First off I must state that I am extremely proud that we made a difference and were able to get DirecTV to budge. Yet at the same time I also understand that not everyone is happy with DirecTV's new offer.

One of the main points of NOHDTAX.COM was to get our voices heard by DirecTV and it worked. Thank you to the 1,200 that signed the petition. And thank you to Matt (Cpanther95) who was not only an insperation for this petition but also helped in the NOHDTAX.COM operation behind the scenes.

So what is your opinon? Where do we go from here?

SatelliteGuys is here to server you the consumers, so what would you like to see us do? Your feedback is VERY welcome!

New customers are still screwed. I chose DirecTV over Dish even after the Voom channels went to Dish strictly for NFL ST. I am still getting the shaft. So no, I am not happy. I unfortunately also don't know where you go from here.

All D* has done is made public the payoff they were giving anyone that played CSR roulette. Continue the petition.

Scott,

Yes I am glad they heard us and that they did reduce the price however I am still ticked off that there is even a 49.00 charge. I think the best thing that they can do at this point would to be to offer two different pckages one with SD games and the other HD games. I am very fearful that for any new HD programing that we will continue to see costs to us just keep going up. I understand there is a cost associated with delivering HD but this in my mind is something that D* needs to absorb as this is the way the industry is going and for them to stay in the game they need to offer the best HD available without soaking their customers.

I guess the other concern I have is with the over compression in that is this going to be the norm movimng forward or will they go back to what it is supposed to be once the new birds are up and running.

I think D* is at a very critical stage right now and if they don't deliver a superior product at reasonable prices they may in fact start loosing more customers then they gain in the future.

The only reason I ever signed on with D* is the ST and with the new contracts going into effect next year with possible Thursdy and Saturday night games that package really becomes nothing but left over games. I would then have to look at alternatives as ST won't be the driving force behind me staying with D*. I have to admit though Comcrap is not very good in my area so may have to wait and see what Verizon fdoes.

Scott, I'm very proud of the efforts you, panther and everyone put into this. D* obviously noticed the outcry and unfortunately this is the only way to get things across to giant corporations like that. Vurbano has a point though... The war isn't over. Hell, we haven't really won a battle yet. We did however lob enough grenades to get some attention and now is not the time to let up on the petition. That would be accepting the rotten treatment that we have all witnessed. I for one do not think it fair that in order to get a fair deal, we all have to call D* and play roulette. Come on, we're not trading goats here!
It's clear that D* never needed a $99 increase. It was just a money maker. I'm not opposed to their making a profit, but DAMN, $99 increase right out of the blue? Not fair nor acceptable! Keep the petition up right to the moment that D* starts seeing people cancel their subscription. :mad:

I'm not a D* sub but IMO, the no-tax petition should continue. Specifically, asking D* to give HD channels as part of the $219 package and sell the "extra" features for $49.

You guys need to keep fighting... even boycotting if necessary.

This is a total rip-off that D* is trying to get away with.

This package needs to be included in the price. Im tired of hearing from D* that it includes the ability to change camera angles and all that bull since there isnt even an HD receiver out that supports thats.

Once they gave me my $20 a month for 6 month credit, I ordered Superfan. I just called to inquire about the $49 thing and was told it is still $99. What do I need to do to take advantage??

I switched to D* this year... when i was on the phone with the CSR activating i told her i wanted NFL ST but she told me it would be another 99 for HD I told her not to add any of it. I think its complete Bullsh!t that they charge extra for the HD games as they just steal the bandwidth from them from somewhere else anyway... it doesnt really cost them that much in terms of space. Plus the fact that as a new customer i still have to pay the BS 99 dollar charge... not gonna happen... i will be without Season Ticket my first year with D* and its was one of many reasosn I switched.

Continue the petition until they completely eliminate the surcharge.. Reducing it still leaves the precendent of a surcharge for HD in place..

If they agree to eliminate it, they should also agree to re-instate those that have already cancelled because of it..

minorthr said:
This package needs to be included in the price. Im tired of hearing from D* that it includes the ability to change camera angles and all that bull since there isnt even an HD receiver out that supports thats.

I agree.....The latest CSR I talked to said there were "interactive" STB out there? I know Scott has said there are none on the market, and I will go with him over a D* csr, but does anyone know if there will be that type of stb out for the kickoff of the season. and if not it just furthers the point of not having to pay for something that will not be available..... :no

I've been in lurker mode all this time but.....

I say keep fighting the good fight!!!. I'm not a NFL-ST sub but I think this effects all HD viewers. As been said if D* gets away with this then what are they going to do if/when they add the other national HD channel, let alone the HD-LIL (which I don't need). This petiton needs to keep going When/if D* tries to pull this again with the new sats, I think it will be time for another petition.

BTW, like others, I hope D* has a big announcement soon. I'm looking at the end of July, after the launch of Spaceway2 for it. And it better be more than just HD-LIL. If not I will be looking into cable.

I do want to thank you Scott and all the people that is envolved with Satguys for the service that is provided here. You just showed that "the little HD niche market" can make a difference if we pull together. I've been thinking about becoming a paid supporter for a couple of months. Now with this petition and forums for cable companies I know I will just as soon as I get home tonight. Of all the websites on the internet this is only the second one that I will be a paid member at.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
I agree.....The latest CSR I talked to said there were "interactive" STB out there? I know Scott has said there are none on the market, and I will go with him over a D* csr, but does anyone know if there will be that type of stb out for the kickoff of the season. and if not it just furthers the point of not having to pay for something that will not be available..... :no

There is currently no interactive HD capable STB on the market. Wether one will be available before kickoff is anyone's guess....

Walter L. said:
I'm not a D* sub but IMO, the no-tax petition should continue. Specifically, asking D* to give HD channels as part of the $219 package and sell the "extra" features for $49.

Hey Hey! Miracles never cease, for once Walter and I agree "dead on" for a thread. This is exactly how this should have gone down.

silversurfer said:
There is currently no interactive HD capable STB on the market. Wether one will be available before kickoff is anyone's guess....
Which raises the question from above ... why should I pay $99 more? The way I see it all receivers should do it all. This has made me very nervous about how the HD TiVo swaps will go down when the MPEG4 time is here. I am in Market 18, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Personally I feel the 10.99/mo for HD is the same thing, a tax, on a watered-down (1280x1024) quality of HD.I would have remained a TC Premier customer if they just rolled that and the DVR fee in ... that is good value, good profits and good sense.

silversurfer said:

They also have never said if any of these features will even apply to HD. Switching camera angles sounds really cool and all, but not if its going to switch to SD or is SD only. Thats why this whole thing is BS. As of right now if you have an HD receiver none of that stuff is useful to you and D* has not said there will be a receiver out in time to use it. Yet they use it to try to justify the price.

I'll go along with the consensus opinion. Personally, the $99 represented 5% of my D* expenses and wasn't really the point. However, if the majority are happy with this development, I'd just as soon let it rest.

Keep fighting the good fight. I already cancelled the Sunday Ticket. It went from $180 last year to $220 this year...plus the $99 for High Def. Not only that but I can't get my local team (the Bears) in High Def because they Black it out. I am seriously considering going with Comcast Cable because their locals are in High Def. and I can watch all my local teams in High Def. Anyone know if it is possible to hook up both Directv High Def and Comcast High Def to the same TV?

tonysoprano said:
..Anyone know if it is possible to hook up both Directv High Def and Comcast High Def to the same TV?
Most HD sets have multiple component/DVI inputs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV Gearing Up For New Initiatives

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts