HDTVTAX.COM - What next

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Scott, I'm with you on this..........lets keep fighting with our "voice" ...

Barney

I pledged...........I will stick with that pledge...already dropped HBO & Cinema Max..........

Where are we getting the information that the Superfan has been reduced to $49? I have called DTV and was inquiring about it and they say that is false info and it is still $99. I went through two levels of support and customer retention, all of which said the same thing. Also on their website it states that its $99. Is this anywhere that I can quote where it is coming from when I call them?

But to answer the question, $49 for the whole season, Ill pay that but dont agree. But if you look at it all of the PPV movies that are in HD are more expensive and so are the special PPV's. Look at the Tyson fight its $11 more for HD.....

Frankly, I really don't see how you CAN'T continue the fight. The reason for the protest was the principle of adding a new surcharge just for receiving HD games. They have not, obviously, budged on the tax.

Think of it this way. If DirecTV had STARTED this whole thing by announcing a $49 charge for the HD games, would you have considered it reasonable and fair? Of course not. So, if we then let this concept slide, we're buying into this silly concept of paying extra for HD feeds. Almost certainly there will be an additional $2 charge for getting the HBO-HD channel. Then, an additional $2 for the Max-HD channel, and on and on.

This forum objected to the concept of adding an HDTV surcharge, and that objection still stands and has not been resolved by DirecTV.

Scott, you've brought us this far....I say let's keep at them. E* gave it's incoming Voom customers some Voom channels. I could have gone there but I went with D*. I'll pay $219 for ST but I won't pay even more for HD. I'm already doing that.

Nohd Tax

Continue the fight because they should not charge extra because it's hd.

This HD TAX is Bull$h!+

So lets really get this straight!

Superfan pack @ $99 or $49 gets us HD games which were free last season. The other big feature of the superfan package get us interactive features. There is not a single HD box on the market that can do the interactive features. So where exactly again is the value in this package? Seems like false advertising to me. They get away with it not being that because of the pretty much brand new D10 Standard Definition box that can do the interactive stuff. How many D* sunday ticket subscribers realistically even have that box. If they want to do crap like this and charge us for features like interactive stuff they should replace everyone who orders the superfan package boxes for free.

Does anyone know if the R10 tivo can do the interactive stuff? Also the new H10 HD box really can't do this stuff?

In the end D* needs to rethink their ST package. If they are gonna charge us more they need to do it in a manner that makes at least a little sense. Have the base ST package. Have an interactive Superfan ST package & and have a ST HD package.

It's complete BS that as an HD customer (already paying more for equipment and monthly fees) and I wanted ST in HD, I am responsable for also paying for interactive features that myself and every other HD subscriber can't even use. We all know about the MPEG 4 thing and that new boxes are on the horizon but at this time we have no idea if we will even have the boxes by the time the NFL season starts. Spaceway 2 can get delayed again for example, there has been zero info on any of the new boxes and at this point it's hard to imagine D* will realistically have all of our HD boxes swapped out come August/September, August is only 7 weeks away.

Id lose a lot of respect for satguys if they accepted this ridiculous PR stunt (they were going to give that price break to the "scabs" that called in anyway) and stopped the nohdtax site. Just my opinion, but this whole thing is supposed to be a protest against an unprecedented tax that left unchecked will spread all over the place and perhaps to other providers as well. Please continue the petition. Please make a renewed effort to advertise it accross all forums as well.

I am not a D* customer, so the price increase does not affect me directly. What concerns me though (and what is the main reason I am not a D* customer), is that D* does not make HD their priority. Yes, they have announced their great long-term HD plans, but what have they done in the short term? How many new HD channels have they added over the past few months? Have they improved HD picture quality? And now this HD TAX...

Let me make one thing clear: in a free market society any company may set whatever pricing they want. It's their right. But consumers also have a right to show their dissatisfaction with the pricing policy and can (and should!) vote with their dollars. I have...

As for the site, I would probably continue the effort, as the problem has not been fully resolved. D* needs to know what their current and prospective customers think and value. Even if there will be no further immediate results of this effort, still, the message will be sent: Take HD seriously! Make it a priority!

I since satelliteguys is now a censored word at AVS the links to the protest site will not work at AVS!!!

Another thing to keep in mind re: interactivity - even with an available interactive HD receiver, all "extra" channels are in SD only. If I'm watching the mix channel (in SD probably not a big deal) and I see something going on I want to check out - I'll manually tune in the HD channel number of that game anyway.

It's a reason not to sweat not having interactivity - but it's one more reason why this bundling doesn't make any sense.

The Peition is still running and will remain running, after all its YOUR petition. :)

I will be placing a HELP WANTED ad on the NOHDTAX.COM webpage soon. As you can tell the NOHDTAX pages were thrown together in a few hours to get it online, now however I want to clean it up and give it a clean professional look.

If anyone is interested and is good with HTML please let me know.

Thanks.

If the $49 is a scam. Here is the quote.

"From: Bob Marsocci
Vice President, Communications
DIRECTV, Inc.

"We have heard from several customers and we have listened to their concerns. As a result, we are reducing the price of the SuperFan option from $99 to $49 for existing DIRECTV NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers who renew their Sunday Ticket subscription for this season on or before August 31." "

The $49 is for existing NFLST customers only. If you haven't had NFLST before you still get slammed for the $99!!!

This $49 'goodwill' guesture will disappear next year I'm sure if you don't cancel your sub and let them know you're not happy. Next year the 'super fan' will probably cost $109. I've cancelled my sub to NFL ST and thinking of dumping DTV entirely because of this. More than just this year...If you watch the trend. The pricing is out of control. Thats the whole reason I got DTV. Lower prices than cable and NFL ST. Goodbye!

adrian777 said:
Continue the fight because they should not charge extra because it's hd.

That's the bottom line.

After D*'s announcement, I didn't want to come down hard pro or con because I wanted to see the overall reaction without putting my particular spin on things. Now that people have made their own determination, I'll throw my $0.02 in.

The whole point is not to pull out HD games as a separate tier (whether or not it is bundled with other stuff). Keep it the same as last year. Even a $5 charge shouldn't be considered a "victory". We've potentially saved a lot of people a decent amount of money and for that, SatGuys deserves a big pat on the back.

However, it's about the HD Tax - not the amount of the tax. Personally, I think it's unfair to us loyal subs, it sends a crappy message to both potential NFLST subs and potential HDers in general. By subscribing, we are funding that message. The only difference now is that we're only contributing $49 each towards sending that message out.

True success will not come strictly via more petitioners or potential lost revenue. Those will never reach a point that D* acts because of financial reasons. Success will come via media exposure (which may be dependent on number of petitioners). This concession should probably be attributed to TV Week's mention of D*'s CSRs telling people that the NFL was requiring this fee. That's the kind of thing that causes potential problems that they don't want to have to deal with.

I'd recommend removing references to "halfway" there - it is misleading considering the real issue here. I believe D* "heard" us, but they aren't "listening" to what we're actually saying. If we don't hear back from DirecTV considering that this is obviously going over like a lead balloon - it will be clear that they aren't looking to satisfy the customers complaining or acknowledging the unfairness of the HD Tax. They are simply diffusing the potentially PITA situations that could arise from bad publicity.

If we cannot appeal to D* as loyal profitable subscribers who have stuck with them during this very lean HD time - then we should play the media game and appeal to the outside forces to which D* will be more willing to respond. The original website was intentionally focused on "undamaging" info and focused exclusively on the issue itself. Any hyperbole and extenuating issues that strengthen our case were ignored because the point was to reason with D* and see if they would listen. Some of these issues would be much more "sexy" to the media. Things like:

"Why are only American NFL fans subject to the HD Tax?"
"How can 2 Satellite companies and 1 Cable company in Canada deliver NFL ST with HD games for half the cost of DirecTV?"
"If companies intend to gouge those of us supporting this US Government-mandated transition - should we encourage the government to reconsider?"
"DirecTV has reduced the quality of the HD they deliver by a full third in the past few years - is it worth a premium?"

etc., etc., etc.

Go Panther!!

First of all, thanks to everyone who's been leading this charge, and I personally think the cost reduction is just a bribe to see if we'll all shut up. I'm going to wait until the end of August, and if, at that time, there is ANY additional charge for ANY customers to view the games in HD, I'm cancelling the entire package. And once I've done that, my cable company is a better alternative than D*, so really all of my potential future revenue to D* depends on their decision on this matter.

Thanks again to you all.

I called and canceled NFL ST a bit early. I was wondering if D* reverses it plan I'll bet I'm still screwed since I was only subscribed to ST I won't be able to rejoin without a minimum SD channel subscription

CPanther95 said:
"If companies intend to gouge those of us supporting this US Government-mandated transition - should we encourage the government to reconsider?"

No they should give us a federal income tax break!!!!!!!!!!:D

I called, and here is what I got

I called to express my utmost displeasure. I told the very cordial rep that this was a slap in the face to your NFL ST subscribers, she tried to offer the $49 rate, but then I said I have been a customer of this programming since 1999, I am still very upset considering I can't use any of these new interactive features, I have the HD-tivo and the RCA 80 tivo for my second receiver. She then said wow you have been a customer for 6 years I will go ahead and waive that fee. I still hate what they are doing but this HD landscape will change in the next year so I figure that if they try this next year I will reconsider my options, all about picking your battles and when to pick them. This year just the standard increase. I do support the petition. Get what you can from Directv, it yours for the taking with a little work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV Gearing Up For New Initiatives

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)