Held hostage by DTV service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know why, the warehouse always rations off equipment. Also you don't want to carry more than you need or they will slap another job on you in a NY minute.

I carried spares for the jobs I had.
The owner of the company I worked for who was prone to knee jerk negative reactions when thngs didn't go smoothly, wanted us to carry "extra" equipment.
I had a friendly conversation with him about that and told him we can't be rolling warehouses because it wasn't cost effective to have 20 techs running around with piles of inventory. He relented when I brought up the point that the instances where a job gets out of control were extremely rare.

Rule #4: When the service provider thinks he can define the needs of his customers, he's going to lose a portion of them that dont agree with his assessment.

Cable tv is considered by almost everyone to be a "utility" and frankly I could do without trash pickup, natural gas and even electricity for a period of time and probably be less annoyed than if the tv was out. Water, maybe not. Yeah, I have a generator.

Satellite tv is just cable tv beamed from space to a trash can lid on my house.

In the meanwhile, if you're staffed too low to get to a customer with a persistent problem within 2 days, someone needs to work a little overtime and go over there in the evening.

I also fully realize that this system of directv paying contractors and independent 3rd parties to do installations and repair work is fundamentally not particularly viable and will induce these sorts of problems. The quality level and consistency from contractor to contractor is going to range wildly and you're going to put your business with that customer at risk on the basis of what some guy decides he will or wont do, or who thinks he can determine how important something is to his customers based on how he feels about it. You have a guy who stands to gain $50 by fulfilling a call vs almost no downside to ignoring it, vs directv who stands to lose $5-10k worth of monthly service from a customer over 5-10 years.

Directv does it this way because its cheaper and easier than trying to maintain their own network of service people, and because they can foist overtime and overhead costs onto someone else. That results in the contractors and directv both having problems with each other and the customer ending up in the middle. I'd suspect that a macroscopic analysis says that all of this crap ends up costing directv more overall than either running it themselves or paying more to the contractors.

Basically directv is putting itself at the mercy of their highest and lowest common denominator service crews. Because customers of both will visit this 'internet' thing and tell everyone about both. That'll result in many customers expecting the services of the former while fearing that they'll receive the latter.

Consistency of service is another crucial aspect of business. Its why McDonalds can make relatively crappy food and still be one of the largest restaurants in the world. Its because a big mac in taipei, omaha and dublin all taste pretty much exactly the same. You know what to expect and you get it. People like that.

I know I'm often critical of directv, but I think they warrant it. They have problems with customers canceling service before they can recoup their install/equipment costs so they implement a lease/ETF structure that Costco and Bestbuy employees cant adequately explain and which results in an "F" rating from the BBB. They hire a brazillion contractors to be the only face the customer probably ever sees to do all the work and the customer receives a high degree of variability in service levels and customer experiences, the worst of which probably result in the reason for those high cancellation situations. Then to try and patchwork over it, they'll inconsistently hand out credits to people who call in to complain, hoping to retain the business.

Perception is immaterial. Cable Tv is not a utility nor is it a necessity. It is a luxury, plain and simple. Example...When economic times are tough people cut back. One of the first things to go is pay tv. How you can say you could stand being without power ( yeah you are the less than 0.5% of homeowners that do)or trash pickup before tv is a mystery. That is certainly a mixed set of priorities. So if you could not shower or cook for three days and your food spoiled as long as you had tv ,you'd be fine?..Please....Reminds of the satellite customer who has three small children with no phone service because they didn't pay the bill, but pays $100 per month for tv. That is a person deserves to not have children.
Every business defines the needs of their customers. That is where the idea for the business comes from. As the business evolves, it's owners adjust, but the core remains the same. The marketplace( customers) takes care of the rest.
Now, in our world of fast food instant gratification and one stop shopping, large conglomerates have expanded into other arenas. Some with great results(WalMart) some with terrible results(Exxon,when they got into office systems)
In any event, you are having problems wiht D* customer service.
I cna tell you you should keep try6ing to get a resolution. Use a calm and polite demeanor and you'll get far better results than if you are demnading and come across as being more important than any other customer.
Trust me when I tell you this......Customers of mine who were pleasant and respectful got far better service than those without those courtesies.

In any event, you are having problems wiht D* customer service.
I cna tell you you should keep try6ing to get a resolution. Use a calm and polite demeanor and you'll get far better results than if you are demnading and come across as being more important than any other customer.
Trust me when I tell you this......Customers of mine who were pleasant and respectful got far better service than those without those courtesies.

Yep, I had to learn over the years that I'm not the only one having a bad day. Most problems seem to involve some kind of tact to get it resolved. Most CSRs are willing to trade something for inconvenience or to upgrade. Just have to patiently play their game to make it work for me. This usually does call for repeat calls to resolve issues.

Bottom line is that when multiple receivers have failed in the same location, they cannot replace it with another, they have to send a tech. As Stonecold had said, time with no service could be credited for a long tech wait. But as the OP stated, another same model replacement is unacceptable for him.

Statistically, these deal breakers happen and subs part company. I do believe that a credit could be negotiated for an upgrade but different grasses can appear greener. I wish the OP luck.

You've made up your mind with Verizon's Fios & you're one of the lucky ones to have that amazing product in your market. I can't remember how they setup the crappy Motorola Receiver; One main "whole house" receiver with smaller receivers for each TV or if that one receiver pipes out the signal with RF outputs to each TV. I'm assuming you're going to package the whole thing with a land line phone, TV, Internet & Cell; once again a lucky situation. I recently jumped ship on Verizon & packaged my iPhone with ATT for land line phone, Internet & cell but was disappointed that the packaging discount wasn't that significant in my opinion. They offered (or at least said) I could move my DTV service over too as part of the bundle but I didn't follow up to see how that would work. It seems like ATT would be cannibalizing an existing customer with DTV & I don't want to lose my "seniority" with DTV as a 15+ year customer. I'd want to keep my original DTV customer number as they have always treated me like gold if I call for anything; if switched to ATT & I become a "new customer" I fear I'd lose my relationship with DTV. On the other hand, if it's part of the agreement between DTV & ATT & I get a nice discount & everything on one bill I would make the move. I just need to do the research unless someone here knows the answer already.

Best of luck with FIOS; the only negatives have already been mentioned.....loss of some sports packages & one of the worst receivers I have ever seen.

Perception is immaterial. Cable Tv is not a utility nor is it a necessity. It is a luxury, plain and simple.

Project your opinion (and read that last word again) onto your customers and directv loses customers. You wont. Because they really arent your customers. But like I said, this is a problem of directv's manufacture, because they have to hire people that arent really interested in their customers or their long term revenue stream. To simplifly, these people arent your customers, nor representative of your revenue stream, future profits, and very indirectly your business success.

But be assured, since the 1990's, pay television is far from an unnecessary luxury. It might be to you and to those you know, but to people who pay to have a dish bolted to their house and to have hundreds of dollars worth of equipment put in their house and thousands paid per year, its a utility. At this time I pay considerably more for directv than I do for natural gas delivery or trash pickup at my house and a disruption of service from the latter two is considerably less disruptive than turning on the tv and having no signal. But I'm sure you have some judgmental comments about that as well.

I'm certain at a 110% level that I wont change your mind, but I'm also certain at a 250% level that you'll be out of business in a few years if you maintain your mindset. Good day.

Yes, I'm completely certain that in instances where your business isnt directly related to immediate continued profit, that kissing your ass gets better results. You've quite succinctly proved why the directv model is inadequate and why they have poor customer service results. Slipped from 1st to 4th place in customer service and an "F" rating with the BBB because they deliver shoddy service and act in a manner that isnt trustful in a business environment. Now take a bow.

While everyone should be pleasant on both the customer and service ends of the spectrum, the OP simply wanted timely service and good customer communication to go with his crappy low quality equipment problems, and he got neither of those.

In that event, he was most assuredly correct in telling directv, their 3rd party contractors who think their customers needs arent important, and the same 3rd parties who want their butts kissed to do a good job to go take a big flying hike up the road.

Once again, I'm not picking a fight with you directly, just pointing out that your approach pretty much assures that you'll work a lot of long stressful weeks before going out of business because you dont know how to service a customer. I'm mostly picking a fight with directv for hiring folks like you who think you get to decide what is and isnt important to their customers and who give only their good quality service to the customers who kiss your ass. But to be fair, you probably arent being paid enough or given enough business reason to bother doing a good job or giving a hoot.

I guess if this was a great economy with lots of money pouring over the gunwales, your approach might work to some degree. Newsflash: its not, it hasnt been for some time, and it wont be for a while yet.

But do go on as you have. After all, it must be working great for you, right? Because it seems you think the product you're servicing isnt that important, that your customers have to be nice to you before you'll be willing to do a good job, but you cant afford to keep enough service techs on board to fix a customer whose been screwed, blued and tattooed in less than a week. Check back in with us in a year or two and let us know how that worked out for you, m'kay? :p

Update to my service appt.

The appointment was scheduled for the 0800-1200 block. I got a call on yesterday confirming the appointment. The service tech, a young lady named Rachel, showed up at about 0900. Very professional. She got right to work checking out the box, listening to my observations and running her tests. She told me that the R15 had been given numerous of her customers problems and also that DTV was allowing refurbs to be given out to customers. She informed me by checking out my broken R15 that it was a refurb. She replaced it with an R16. She apologized for all my troubles and was out of my home in less than an hour. Everything is working fine,

It is a shame that the customer service division and management at DTV is not like the service technicians. If they were, then DTV would not be losing a customer in about 2 weeks.

Update to my service appt.

The appointment was scheduled for the 0800-1200 block. I got a call on yesterday confirming the appointment. The service tech, a young lady named Rachel, showed up at about 0900. Very professional. She got right to work checking out the box, listening to my observations and running her tests. She told me that the R15 had been given numerous of her customers problems and also that DTV was allowing refurbs to be given out to customers. She informed me by checking out my broken R15 that it was a refurb. She replaced it with an R16. She apologized for all my troubles and was out of my home in less than an hour. Everything is working fine,

It is a shame that the customer service division and management at DTV is not like the service technicians. If they were, then DTV would not be losing a customer in about 2 weeks.

The R-16 was a refurb.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)