Hello, Hello You'll. New To The C - Band Game

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BeltFanChris

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2015
Northwest Louisiana
Good afternoon to everyone, I'm glad I found this forum with very like minded people. I'm young, just turn 31 on Valentines Day. I've always had a interest about C - Band and the Big Dish system going back to when I was a kid. I can remember going to the old Wal - Mart with my Mom and finding the Satellite Orbit magazine. I always looked threw to see what sports programs and pro wrestling shows would come on around the country

I always told myself that when I got old enough and got some money as adult I was going to buy me a C - Band dish. Well I guess I'm pretty late to the dance so speak. I was upset when Motorola pretty much or almost killed the C - Band industry back in 2011. I thought, man I'm never going to be able to get a C - Band dish now. Then I found out that Skyvision / Programming Center was doing everything they can to keep the C - Band dish alive. Although they still are dropping channels like the Starz / Encore channels which I'm a huge westerns fan so I'm upset about that

Well, anyways I'm still a virgin / rookie to the C - Band / Big Dish, I imagine you'll get tired of the same old, same old questions but I do have a few and I hope you'll don't mind giving me some answers and / or pointing me into the right direction

Also, I have found a local installer in my area that is willing to install a C - Band dish for me, he was in the C - Band / Big Dish game for almost 30 years so he has experience and he is willing to work with me. He told me it takes 2 days to install a C - Band dish. 1 day to set the pole and pour concrete and the day 2 to set everything else up

I do have a few questions that I would like you'll help answering or maybe even pointing me into the right direction for the answers I would be grateful

First question I have, what do I need to look for and / or look out for in buying a used Motorola DSR - 922 receiver from places like eBay? What specific questions do I need to ask the seller in regards to the Motorola DSR - 922 so I don't wind up with a receiver that is garbage, not working and worthless

Is there anything left for free viewing on C - Band? Can I pick up any free channels on C - Band with a Motorola DSR - 922 or do I need to get a FTA receiver? I prefer to pick up any free channels I can with just a Motorola DSR - 922 if possible

From what I been able to gather so far is I can have a 4DTV receiver and a digital cable box on the same t.v., is this true and if so how do I share the same t.v. between a 4DTV receiver and a digital cable box?

My current t.v. situation is I have Comcast Digital Cable and I plan on keeping Comcast even after I get a C - Band dish

Does anyone know if Skyvision services 4DTV receivers, i.e.; like changing the battery, refurbishing them and / or doing mapping for the 4DTV receivers? I would like to buy a 4DTV receiver and have somebody more knowledgeable, secure and safe in servicing a 4DTV receiver I buy because I want to keep it in tip top and excellent, working shape. I want to buy a great 4DTV receiver and when I get it ship it to Skyvision so I can make sure it is workable and serviceable

Does anyone know if that place in Chicgao, GlenTech Enterprises is safe and reliable to service 4DTV receivers? I lurk on that other forum, the 4DTV Forum and I read where people say he Glen is a scamer and not a trustworthy person

Regarding HD programming on C - Band, is there anything left HD wise on C - Band? Is it worth buying a Motorola HDD 200 receiver for C- Band to add to a Motoroila DSR - 922 receiver?

That is all the questions I think I have for now. I can only imagine after I post this topic that more questions will pop in my head. I wish there was more channels and places selling C - Band programming like there was a few years back. I remember NPS and Netlink / Superstar use to sell C - Band channels. I believe there was a couple others also

Hopefully you'll don't mind helping a fellow C - Band / Big Dish fan some help. God bless

Stick far away from GlenTech or anything he is involved with.

Not much on the 922 left. Here is a list of stuff you can subscribe to on a 922. http://www.programming-center.net/pdfs/H2HPricing.pdf

I don't believe the HDD 200 is usable for anything anymore. In fact I have one sitting here next to my desk collecting dust.

While there is not a lot of cable stuff left for free, there is lots of stuff for free up there to watch. C Band entertainment has been the best it has been in years. :)

Reactions: Mr Tony
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!

Like Scott said, Stay far away from Glentech or raindeer satellite. He will scam you.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I appreciate it and I know about the Skyvision / Programming Center is the only place selling C - Band programming now. I plan on once I get my C - Band dish install to order all the channels from them minus the adult channels of course. I know they pretty much have every channel that I already have with Comcast, I want to support them financially so that the C - Band industry can stay alive

Also, I will stay away from that Glen person

I would say in your case it's best to look for a 922 that's had the battery replaced,say in the last 5 years.Been remapped or at least been converted to and working on the HITS system.And most important,still has good ID numbers.With all the above I would not pay more than $150 shipped,a lot less if you get one with only a good ID,not much more than the cost of shipping.If you get one with just a good ID remember that you're going to have to pay shipping,both ways,to send it to someone to make whatever repairs,plus the cost of the repair.
There is still some "free" stuff up there for a 4D but not a lot and there is no HD at all.
Finally,as the others have already said,see Glen,do not walk,run,run like the wind.;)

I'll be another one to mention just in case it got missed.....stay away from any scam that says Glentech or Raindeer satellite.

Your story sounds similar to mine except I was looking at 6 and 8 footers at Radio Shack as a kid and begging my old man to get one. At the time even HBO was free on satellite.

I caught that you have Comcast and plan to keep it even after your BUD. I also have Comcast Xfinity TV which I happen to be running on my FTA satellite receivers, but that is another story. Since you are keeping Comcast I'd suggest forgetting about 922 and 4DTV. You aren't doing this to get pay content or skip out on paying a provider, you are doing it for the love of the hobby and to see what is up there. All you need is a solid True FTA receiver for that.

Reactions: dougruss
Skyvision has the DSR 410 receiver. Is that still around? Why is there programming on skyvision different from Scotts link above? What is the most current for programming?

Skyvision has the DSR 410 receiver. Is that still around? Why is there programming on skyvision different from Scotts link above? What is the most current for programming?

Keep in my mind, If you already have Comcast and plan to keep it, Skyvision can only sell you a lesser quality of some channels that you already get. C band shines best with the true FTA channels (most are original master signals before compression). 4DTV doesn't offer much any more. For the cost of a 4dtv receiver you can pick up a good fta receiver and positioner. 4dtv is 20 year old technology. In spite of what you heard Motorola didn't kill it.Lack of demand did. Back in the 90's (before HD) direct and dishnet offered a much cheaper solution for satellite tv with similar quality. That killed 4dtv.

Reactions: T134
General Instrument didn't help matters by keeping on putting off release of the Digicipher, first it was going to be late '93 then 1994, then 1995, then 1996, FINALLY it came in 1997. They either wouldn't license the technology to other manufacturers (I.E, Drake, Houston Tracker, Toshiba) or their conditions were so onerous that they steered away from G.I. They (G.I) also claimed that a stand alone unit that worked with existing equipment couldn't be made, then all of a sudden they come out with the 905 as a last ditch low cost effort. Of course by the time they finally came out with Digicipher in 1997, that coincided with $199 DBS systems from Echostar and DSS. That was the real nail in the coffin. No new customers would go and spend $1200 for a 4DTV plus the cost of an antenna and installation, when they could get the $199 "small dish."

Welcome aboard! I agree with T134 and mmewrench. Skip the subscription, and buy a FTA receiver and enjoy what is truly the jewel of Cband. I have no subscriptions to any television. I am purely FTA. Granted, i might be a nut, but i don't miss what cable/subscription based services offer. I am SO happy with my FTA system and all the wonderful content to be found.

For me it is addictive. Finding a new channel pop up that didn't exist before. Pulling in something that's difficult to get. (low power and/or circular feeds)

I would go a step further and make another suggestion. Put the system in yourself. Yes, its work, yes, its trial and error. But, your understanding will be so much stronger and give you the ability to truly maintain your system. Plus, you have all us to help you! :)

Ps, since i have no financial gain behind my suggestion, i would highly recommend the Amiko HDSE. Great price, reliable FTA unit, and user friendly.

I will say that you would probably be better off skipping the 4DTV and just going true FTA. If you enjoy westerns, there several old TV westerns are aired on FTA, so you can get your fix there.

Would also, give another nod to the do it yourself. Having someone there, can be a life saver, but if you put it all up by yourself you end up with something that you take far more pride in. It will also help later, when issues arise. Such as a high wind shifts the dish just a smidgen and you lose a satellite because of it. You know how to repeak your dish yourself, or if the LNB lays down, you know how to take care of that.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

I will agree with the above posts. Don't waste your money on a 4DTV, best case scenario it will be between 10 and 12 years old, with the DCII technology it uses being close to 20. Also, Skyvision/The Programming Centre, does not have those feeds up there on AMC 15, Comcast does, and they are only there because some small cable companies that pick up those HITS feeds have legacy equipment. They will definitely be phasing out that equipment sooner rather than later.
Also as to installing your own equipment, you will learn LOTS through trial and error, but it is valuable information that you can only learn by doing it yourself, and it teaches you to be reliant on your own skills to solve problems.
And, all of us here at this forum will be here to help you along the way.

Welcome! If you like Westerns, then you'll love "Grit" (on 97W). If you have a servo horn, dump it for an Orthomode feed (receives both V and H at the same time). It's very difficult to find a modern FTA receiver that has a polarity controller in it (I know of only one). There's lots of stuff to watch on C-Band. I spend alot of time on Grit watching Westerns and Classic Movies. MeTv, ION Networks, G4, Nashville Network, PBS, NHK, RT, ABC, 360 North, Movies! Channel, CTV Canada, Sprout (kids), QUBO (kids) ... and much more. Visit http://www.lyngsat.com for a listing of channels. Good luck on getting everything up and running. As someone suggested, put your dish in yourself. You'll learn alot and if anything goes wrong, you'll be able to fix it yourself.

Reactions: danristheman
Welcome to C Band; you can bank on it!
I do not pay using C Band; and every channel I can see; using a Free to Air receiver with up to h.264 (types of signals defined); and it is a GeosatPro hdvr1200; everybody else with a C Band dish can watch them too; legally and freely!

what I like is the OTA typcals (like local's carry; and large amounts of PBS) which include Area Gov. channels (CA./AK.) and flavors like NWCN/PA./Texas. If I did not have a C Band dish; I could not watch CSI; my local antenna does not receive well anymore (100 mi. no los); The best channels; they all work so well in my windy; rainy; wide-open space. Have fun, I do!

Oh, a model of perfection C Band dishes are, is how you learn who, what, when, where and why; is true or false. In between, and all the time; people will either lie knowingly or un-knowingly about C Band dishes. It is up to you to prove them as a lie or true.

Last edited:
Good afternoon to everyone, I'm glad I found this forum with very like minded people. I'm young, just turn 31 on Valentines Day. I've always had a interest about C - Band and the Big Dish system going back to when I was a kid. I can remember going to the old Wal - Mart with my Mom and finding the Satellite Orbit magazine. I always looked threw to see what sports programs and pro wrestling shows would come on around the country

I always told myself that when I got old enough and got some money as adult I was going to buy me a C - Band dish. Well I guess I'm pretty late to the dance so speak. I was upset when Motorola pretty much or almost killed the C - Band industry back in 2011. I thought, man I'm never going to be able to get a C - Band dish now. Then I found out that Skyvision / Programming Center was doing everything they can to keep the C - Band dish alive. Although they still are dropping channels like the Starz / Encore channels which I'm a huge westerns fan so I'm upset about that

Well, anyways I'm still a virgin / rookie to the C - Band / Big Dish, I imagine you'll get tired of the same old, same old questions but I do have a few and I hope you'll don't mind giving me some answers and / or pointing me into the right direction

Also, I have found a local installer in my area that is willing to install a C - Band dish for me, he was in the C - Band / Big Dish game for almost 30 years so he has experience and he is willing to work with me. He told me it takes 2 days to install a C - Band dish. 1 day to set the pole and pour concrete and the day 2 to set everything else up

I do have a few questions that I would like you'll help answering or maybe even pointing me into the right direction for the answers I would be grateful

First question I have, what do I need to look for and / or look out for in buying a used Motorola DSR - 922 receiver from places like eBay? What specific questions do I need to ask the seller in regards to the Motorola DSR - 922 so I don't wind up with a receiver that is garbage, not working and worthless

Is there anything left for free viewing on C - Band? Can I pick up any free channels on C - Band with a Motorola DSR - 922 or do I need to get a FTA receiver? I prefer to pick up any free channels I can with just a Motorola DSR - 922 if possible

From what I been able to gather so far is I can have a 4DTV receiver and a digital cable box on the same t.v., is this true and if so how do I share the same t.v. between a 4DTV receiver and a digital cable box?

My current t.v. situation is I have Comcast Digital Cable and I plan on keeping Comcast even after I get a C - Band dish

Does anyone know if Skyvision services 4DTV receivers, i.e.; like changing the battery, refurbishing them and / or doing mapping for the 4DTV receivers? I would like to buy a 4DTV receiver and have somebody more knowledgeable, secure and safe in servicing a 4DTV receiver I buy because I want to keep it in tip top and excellent, working shape. I want to buy a great 4DTV receiver and when I get it ship it to Skyvision so I can make sure it is workable and serviceable

Does anyone know if that place in Chicgao, GlenTech Enterprises is safe and reliable to service 4DTV receivers? I lurk on that other forum, the 4DTV Forum and I read where people say he Glen is a scamer and not a trustworthy person

Regarding HD programming on C - Band, is there anything left HD wise on C - Band? Is it worth buying a Motorola HDD 200 receiver for C- Band to add to a Motoroila DSR - 922 receiver?

That is all the questions I think I have for now. I can only imagine after I post this topic that more questions will pop in my head. I wish there was more channels and places selling C - Band programming like there was a few years back. I remember NPS and Netlink / Superstar use to sell C - Band channels. I believe there was a couple others also

Hopefully you'll don't mind helping a fellow C - Band / Big Dish fan some help. God bless

You've come to the right site.This is a very fun hobby,and the price to get started won't cost you an arm an leg.The geo sat pro receiver is about $100.00 and the dish positioner,the v-box is about $35.00 ad in an lnbf,another $30.00 or so bucks.To me every aspect of the install is good.From digging the hole for your support pipe,setting the concrete,trenching the coax to the house,it's all the process that's gonna pay off big time,when you finally see how much stuff there is to watch.I got my first dish in about 1985,it was an eight foot aluminum spun dish.Hopefully you can find your self a used 10 foot dish,check Craigs list,when you see a c-band dish in some one's yard stop by and ask them if it's for sale,lots of people still have them and don't use them anymore and are glad to get them out of their yard.Good luck,let us know how your project is coming.

Bumpy, bump, bump, bump, bump. I'm bumping my post because I'm still in need of help. I know reading threw alot of the old topics, alot of people prefer finding and refurbishing a old C - Band / BUD dish, me I prefer to buy brand new stock. I'm looking to purchase a 12 ft. black mesh C - Band / BUD dish. Is that dish great, bad or horrible for picking up FTA stuff? I'm not interested in a FTA dish, only a mesh C - Band dish. Also, what about this FTA receiver that is on Skyvision.com front page, it's Manhattan RS - 1933. Is it worth anything? If I'm correct, I will still need a Motorola 4DTV DSR - 922 or a dish positioner to actually move the dish itself

Any help would be appreciate

I think you're either putting the proverbial cart before the horse, or anxious to do SOMETHING with satellite, not quite at the point of knowing what you need. If either of these is true, you ARE in the right place, but continued reading of other basic threads from first-time FTA users and experimenters will be your best bet. Given that you really do want answers, the questions need to be addressed one at a time. Here's how I see the basics from how I've done it. Your results and others' opinions may vary. We're all here to help. I am, by no means, an expert, just a hobbyist and member of a group of very helpful people who brought ME into FTA.

Take a QUALITY BUILD of dish, instead of worrying about NEW vs USED. Finding new is going to be tough at a reasonable price anyway. Go with quality old. They're often cheap or free. Ask before acquiring, take pics and post here on this site, as some are prone to issues in their build. If you're just getting in to the hobby of satellite/ FTA, finding a good used dish is your best bet so if you find the WORK involved is not your cup of tea, less is invested.

The term "FTA" is the TYPE of receiving we talk about here, not the BAND of satellite on which we receive (like "C Band." or "Ku band.")

If you want your (large, not small Ku band) dish to move through the arc of satellites with any CURRENTLY USABLE receiver for multiple satellites, you'll need a receiver which then "talks" to a positioner (which you buy separately) which, in turn takes the receiver's commands, interprets them, then sends a higher voltage and current to the motor attached to the (Large, C Band) dish. The dish itself needs either the "trailer jack" style of positioner or what's called a "horizon to horizon" or "H to H" setup. To use a 922 for moving a dish only (unless you already have one) is like adding a 5th wheel to your car. Don't do it. Only the positioner part of that receiver is of use. Get a modern receiver like the Manhattan, buy a dish positioner/motor control box of decent quality, and wire THAT to the motorized mount which SHOULD be part of most satellite dishes you'll find used. Understand there may be some refurbishing needed on ANY dish that has been sitting any length of time. Motors don't like sitting unused in most cases for long periods of time...but replacements are available.

There's much to learn in FTA, and virtually no open analog channels left on "large dish" so, the only real use of one is for what we call, "FTA" (the hobby.)

Help us here on the site by defining WHAT you want to receive, and we can better help you in selecting good equipment, much of it probably available used.

Hope that helps a bit.

I'm looking to purchase a 12 ft. black mesh C - Band / BUD dish. Is that dish great, bad or horrible for picking up FTA stuff? I'm not interested in a FTA dish, only a mesh C - Band dish

I know Radio addressed this, but I wanted to re-iterate. FTA has nothing to do with the type of dish you use. FTA only refers to FREE TO AIR, which refers to signals that are not encrypted and are free to watch and you are not breaking any laws watching them. You can receive FTA on both Cband and KU band. You said you were interested in a 12 footer. Someone else might weigh in on this, but I wonder if a 12 footer starts adding additional stresses on motor , mount, etc that aren't necessary as I don't know anyone that cannot receive every signal they can with a 10 foot dish.

The reason people are steering you towards a used dish, is because there are very few options on buying new dishes unless you wanting to spends many thousand dollars to buy commercial dishes. A higher quality old dish will last longer and operate as NEW as long as the dish has no physical damage and you upgrade the motor and LNBF.

I paid $150.oo bucks for a used dish that was about a mile from my house. I was able to drive my tractor to their house, lift if off the pole with my tractor, and drop it on my waiting pole at my house. I purchased a new motor, a new LNBF, a Dish Mover and Receiver and It operates perfectly. a LNBF around $40.00, dish mover $40.00, motor $100.00 and receiver 100.00. So, for under $500.oo bucks, you can have essential a brand new system. You cannot touch a brand new 10 footer dish for that price with shipping and you still need to buy all the other stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts