Hello to all here network questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikeal5703

Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
NY
Hello i am new to the wholle directv scene i just got it and i got my on demand just set up with a connection to my network
I have a few questions
1) Is there a way to put codecs or some way to play other video files such as avi, mkv, etc.?
2) Can i play video files from a nas?
3) is there a network management tool that i can install on my computer and have management options similar to what i have for my router/modem?

You'll need a program on the PC, such as Tversity or Twonky to do a transcode for the videos that aren't natively supported by MediaShare on the DVR.

You can also do the conversion to a supported format and move them to the NAS and access those from the DVR.

I'll let those more in the know to comment further on this.

In my case, it turned out to be too much trouble, so I bought the Western Digital TV + HD media server to access my NAS loaded videos.

The receivers can not read SMB/CIFS shares off a NAS or Windows server. They can only connect to DLNA server software such as TVersity/Twonky/Playstation Media Server. So basically you need the server software no matter what format your video is - in order to put it on the network in a language that the receivers can understand.

If you have your video files stored on a NAS, basically you would need to run TVersity on another computer (relatively new if you need to do HD transcoding). Map the NAS video directory to a drive letter (like Z:), and point TVersity to it as a source. Then when the Directv receiver requests a video, TVersity will pull it off the NAS, transcode it, and send it to the receiver. It's an ugly way to do it, but it's the only way (unless the NAS has a powerful processor and you know how to hack).

Im going to expand a bit onto this. Can I have my DTV DVR record to my NAS? I have 5TB and I'd like to dedicate some to the DVR.

Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)