Help a Cable Guy out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1sctrojan

Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
So Cali
Hi, i've had cable forever but am thinking about getting Direct when i get my new HDTV. I have never had satellite so bear with me.
I understand i will need a 5lnb dish correct? I currently have the top teir cable package (every channel available). My goal for Direct would be every HD channel available. Is that called "premium'? If i want every HD channel do i still have to get 250+ package or can i get all HD channels with a lessor package?
I only need one box and no DVR, is this the HR20?
I notice that channels have different frequencies like 103, 99 etc. does this mean i have to adjust the box for different channels or do i just change channels normally like cable?
I live in an apt. building where there are some dishes on the roof not being used, 1 of them is bigger, i presume it's the 5LNB? Can that dish be used for me?
I have a cable modem for broadband, what kind of installation is DSL?
Finally, many retail stores are having discounts on HDTV's if you sign up, is there any difference going that route instead of calling Direct directly? Do you gain anything buy ordering thru Directv or is it all the same?
Thanx for any help.

Hi, i've had cable forever but am thinking about getting Direct when i get my new HDTV. I have never had satellite so bear with me.
I understand i will need a 5lnb dish correct? I currently have the top teir cable package (every channel available). My goal for Direct would be every HD channel available. Is that called "premium'? If i want every HD channel do i still have to get 250+ package or can i get all HD channels with a lessor package?
I only need one box and no DVR, is this the HR20?
I notice that channels have different frequencies like 103, 99 etc. does this mean i have to adjust the box for different channels or do i just change channels normally like cable?
I live in an apt. building where there are some dishes on the roof not being used, 1 of them is bigger, i presume it's the 5LNB? Can that dish be used for me?
Finally, many retail stores are having discounts on HDTV's if you sign up, is there any difference going that route instead of calling Direct directly? Do you gain anything buy ordering thru Directv or is it all the same?
Thanx for any help.

You will need a 5 lnb dish for the new hd channels. Check the Directv website for the package that you want. The regular hd receiver is the H20. The HR20 is the dvr. 99 and 103 are two of the satellites that Directv uses. You just change the channel on the box like with cable. I have no idea what dishes are on the roof of your apartment complex. Ask someone that lives there. DSL is for internet, not cable tv or satellite. As far as the deals available, you should call Directv and compare their offer with the local stores. I hope this helps! Oh, and.....

:welcome to Satelliteguys.us!

There is no reason that you would have to move away from your cable modem. Having Directv and a cable modem have nothing to do with each other. The only problem may be that you will have to pay a little more since you would be dropping cable.

You will need a 5 lnb dish for the new hd channels. Check the Directv website for the package that you want. The regular hd receiver is the H20. The HR20 is the dvr. 99 and 103 are two of the satellites that Directv uses. You just change the channel on the box like with cable. I have no idea what dishes are on the roof of your apartment complex. Ask someone that lives there. DSL is for internet, not cable tv or satellite. As far as the deals available, you should call Directv and compare their offer with the local stores. I hope this helps! Oh, and.....

:welcome to Satelliteguys.us!
Thanx, all the dishes on the roof are definately DirecTV. One of them is larger and looks to have a double "beam"?

There is no reason that you would have to move away from your cable modem. Having Directv and a cable modem have nothing to do with each other. The only problem may be that you will have to pay a little more since you would be dropping cable.

Thanx. The reason i was considering DSL is i thought that DirecTV offered a package deal by getting DSL like i currently have with cable TV and the cable broadband.
If i keep the broadband i would pay $54 instead of $42.

OOPs, nevermind, my cell phone is my only phone, can't get DSL.

I just bought a HDTV at Best Buy and got $300 off the television's price by signing up for Direct TV. The salesman called DTV and I enrolled for the service and made my programming selections while I was in the store. I have cable internet and plan to keep the basic cable service in order to maintain the internet. I guess I am a little anxious about the reliability of satellite tv and the basic cable will be my backup.

I just bought a HDTV at Best Buy and got $300 off the television's price by signing up for Direct TV. The salesman called DTV and I enrolled for the service and made my programming selections while I was in the store. I have cable internet and plan to keep the basic cable service in order to maintain the internet. I guess I am a little anxious about the reliability of satellite tv and the basic cable will be my backup.

In my case i would either have cable or satellite for TV but keep RoadRunner as my cable broadband. Hopefully the DirecTV "premier" package along with all the HD channels ($9.99 a month?) will be a little cheaper so that it negates the increase of solo broadband. Isn't the "premier" package $99 (250+) channels with HD about an extra $10? I'm paying $166 a month for cable and broadband.

In my case i would either have cable or satellite for TV but keep RoadRunner as my cable broadband. Hopefully the DirecTV "premier" package along with all the HD channels ($9.99 a month?) will be a little cheaper so that it negates the increase of solo broadband. Isn't the "premier" package $99 (250+) channels with HD about an extra $10? I'm paying $166 a month for cable and broadband.

plus 4.99 dvr fee
also in December Hd fee is going up 5.00 according to what has been reported here. Had D for a month now coming from Charter cable and am very happy so far. Picture is very good.

Thanx. The reason i was considering DSL is i thought that DirecTV offered a package deal by getting DSL like i currently have with cable TV and the cable broadband.
If i keep the broadband i would pay $54 instead of $42.

OOPs, nevermind, my cell phone is my only phone, can't get DSL.

They aren't advertised but in a lot of areas especially since the AT&T takeover you can get dry loop DSL.

Hmm you might be able to get FIOS since I believe they install in SoCal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

H20 Remote Volume on Surround Sound Receiver

Locals gone. Please Help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)