HELP can DTV cause interference to a garage door opener??? read on

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeLoew

Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Hello all, just put up a new DTV 5 LNB slimline and it is working great. The problem after I installed the new dish my garage door remotes would not work (all 6 of them) the push button remotes will work if I put them about 1" from the antenna. The door works great with the wired wall switch. So I went out and bought a new garage door operator (a different brand by the way) and installed it, and the new one does the same exact thing??? And for your info one of my part times jobs is installing door openers, I have put up about 900 and have never ran into this problem before. The garage door opener tech people said that they have heard of problems with DTV dishs? Moving my dish is not really an option as I only have 1 good spot to put my dish, without tree problems. I am not blaming DTV as of yet but it sure seems like a coincedence. i have also powered down all circuit breakers in my house except the one breaker that powers the door opener to see if any thing could be causing a problem, that also cut power to my Dish LNBs, same results. Any comments?? thanks Mike

Forgot to add, I would think cutting power to the satellite dish would elimanate the dish as the problem. I did try another thing, I took the new garage door openers to a different location 5 miles away and they work pefectly. So the problem is at my house, the only thing left to do is pull the dish down, I really hate to do that as I got it set up perfectly and it was a real bear to install up on top of my chimny on an extention pole to see over trees. As I said the opener problems started the same time I installed the new dish and receiver.

Forgot to add, I would think cutting power to the satellite dish would elimanate the dish as the problem. I did try another thing, I took the new garage door openers to a different location 5 miles away and they work pefectly. So the problem is at my house, the only thing left to do is pull the dish down, I really hate to do that as I got it set up perfectly and it was a real bear to install up on top of my chimny on an extention pole to see over trees. As I said the opener problems started the same time I installed the new dish and receiver.

I think its either a coincedence that the garage door opener started having problems after setting up the dish, or a wire might have got cut when they were installing the dish. Directv doesn't beam a signal at your house when you sign up. The signals are always there and they are nowhere near the same frequency that your garage door opener uses. Did you unplug the receivers and see if the problem is still there? When you say you took the openers to another house do you mean just the remotes?

Where do you live, Mike?

I've read where people near military installations can have issues from time to time when they are testing different frequencies.

I have had this problem before in the past. Turns out it is my phone line plugged into my 3 HD Dvrs.

I can also hear a radio station on the phone.

If unplug the phone lines the problem goes away.

I can see 4 big AM radio towers at about 101 degrees about 10 miles
away.

I have tried many ways to ground it, filters, and had an electrician out.
Just cant get rid of it, so I unplug the phone line but I missed my caller ID on the TV screen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)