Help! Can I adjust my dish???

cohiba

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
AZ
I guess we had a little wind yesterday, cause my sat signal strength went from 94 to 61, and I'm not getting any Satellite channels right now. I called Voom and they are sending someone out on Monday, but I want to watch some stuff this weekend! My dish is not very high up, and I just wanted to know if there were any caveats to trying to reposition it myself???

We just did ours this weekend - no problem that I can think of....who would want to be without TV for multiple days anyway when you are paying for service during those days.

Its easy. I had to do it cause my installer left all the bolts loose. Just tune to the signal strength menu and turn up the volume. Move the dish around till you hear a good signal come in.

Thanks. I'm going to go give it a try right now... Wish me luck on regaining my 94! :D

Well, after quite a few minutes of messing around, I did manage to finally get a 94, but it was back down under 90 as of last night. I think that one or two of the bolts aren't tight enough. I still have the Voom guy coming out tomorrow, and I'm confident that he will get my signal back up there and tighten everything up.

Meanwhile, thanks for the feedback--it really helped my confidence when I went out there to give it a try...

cohiba said:
Well, after quite a few minutes of messing around, I did manage to finally get a 94, but it was back down under 90 as of last night. I think that one or two of the bolts aren't tight enough. I still have the Voom guy coming out tomorrow, and I'm confident that he will get my signal back up there and tighten everything up.

Meanwhile, thanks for the feedback--it really helped my confidence when I went out there to give it a try...

When he finishes aligning everything, put you some permanent markings on every connection so you can realign if necessary.;)

Another thing is make sure your mast is straight up and down on all sides. This can be checked with a small level.

You might need some guy wires on your dish

If you are in a windy area and your dish is not very well shielded from the winds, you might need to install some guy wires to steady the dish. See this thread and look at the post on page 6 from Dankgus:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=13696&page=6&pp=15

I also had to install some guy wires when I was having troubles with temporary or permanent signal loss during high wind conditions. All of my mounting bolts were plenty tight prior to the guy wire installation, too. Anyway, after installing 3 guy wires: end of problem...

Thanks for the tips guys. If I get up the determination, I think I will try the marker and guide wire ideas. The Voom guy did come out, and not only did he fix it--he improved it! My Satellite reception is now at a 97! Even he was surprised that he got it that high!

VOOM, VOOM, VOOM!!!!!! :)

cohiba said:
Thanks for the tips guys. If I get up the determination, I think I will try the marker and guide wire ideas. The Voom guy did come out, and not only did he fix it--he improved it! My Satellite reception is now at a 97! Even he was surprised that he got it that high!

VOOM, VOOM, VOOM!!!!!! :)
Better mark it now then... :) More wind is coming.... today down here...:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts