Help! Can't figure out SWM!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cudmd

Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Hey Guys,

So I tailgate with a slimline 3lnb and old H20 reciever, and I've always just plugged a single coax into the lnb, a BBC to the reciever, and used the signal strength menu to aim. Well, I bought a new slimline SWM-5 with hipes of putting it up in my lake house to power one tv and bring the box from home (installed and working SWM).

Well, I used a 2 way splitter with the power inserter connect the marked terminal, and single H25. Well, when I started aiming, I can't get a signal out of the signal strength menu no matter what I do. It's on the roof, so there should be no line of sight issues. Can the signal still be located using the menu even with the power inserter and swm?

Thanks, this one is stumping me....

Yes, you should get signal strength with that setup. If you go into the Dish configuration screen, does it automatically go to 18:Slimline 5S? If it doesnt automatically detect the dish, then you have a cabling issue of some sort. Either the cables are connected to the wrong ports, or a broken cable/connector

Hmmm...still no luck. Perhaps the signal strength meter isn't sophisticated enough for this. Might need to either give it one more shot or borrow a meter. The install sheet did say something about the IRD kicking the ODU of out alignment mode, but not sure what this means?

Hmmm...still no luck. Perhaps the signal strength meter isn't sophisticated enough for this. Might need to either give it one more shot or borrow a meter. The install sheet did say something about the IRD kicking the ODU of out alignment mode, but not sure what this means?

Make sure you power the lnb with the power inverter first. Then connect to the receiver. Then power up the receiver. Go to 101 on the signal number page where it checks all transponders. Swing the dish around and find 101...fine tune the others from there. Make sure you have no b band converters in place.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

If the receiver is hooked up and you are using a signal meter it will affect pointing it.

When connected to the ird the lnb goes into programming mode and not pointing mode.

From my experience I still get signal when the ird is plugged in and hooked up to the sat cable. But it was only showing 70% on all sats. When really it was 40ish percent.

This is with a birdog usb plus. Not sure what signal meter you are using.

Couple things to check.
Plumb/level mast
Double check az and ev settings and the tilt.

If you are not using a splitter for the line to the receiver where are you hooking up the signal meter?
Do you have a power passing splitter by chance?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)