Help...can't find 119

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JimD

Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Hey all - hoping someone can give me some help b/c DirecTV tech-support is baffled.

Am trying to find 119 on one of those 3-LNB dishes. I can lock on to both 110 and 101 - tech advisor told me to move west a bit, but doing that I get nothing at all. I replaced the LNB -- didn't do anything.

I'm not aware of where in the sky the satellites are besides their longitudes...any tips on elevation/tilt adjustments I might be able to make? The best I've been able to find is around a 40 signal on transponder 31 on 119 (which doesn't carry anything apparently)...but I can never turn that into anything more.

I'm at zip 22901, current azimuth 233, elev is at 35 and tilt at 56. I'm using a Hughes HR 10-250 receiver. Thanks tons.

JimD said:
Hey all - hoping someone can give me some help b/c DirecTV tech-support is baffled.

Am trying to find 119 on one of those 3-LNB dishes. I can lock on to both 110 and 101 - tech advisor told me to move west a bit, but doing that I get nothing at all. I replaced the LNB -- didn't do anything.

I'm not aware of where in the sky the satellites are besides their longitudes...any tips on elevation/tilt adjustments I might be able to make? The best I've been able to find is around a 40 signal on transponder 31 on 119 (which doesn't carry anything apparently)...but I can never turn that into anything more.

I'm at zip 22901, current azimuth 233, elev is at 35 and tilt at 56. I'm using a Hughes HR 10-250 receiver. Thanks tons.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/DishPointerAction.do
For your zip Code 22901 the azimuth and elevation are displayed below:

ppv_window_left_top.gif
spacer.gif
ppv_window_right_top.gif
spacer.gif
white_icon.gif
DIRECTV Dish Pointer
spacer.gif
Azimuth
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Elevation
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

JimD make sure your dish pole is absolutely plumb ,check at least 2 - ways with a small level..A couple of degrees here can waste a lot of time looking for something you are not going to get.

VOOMER said:
JimD make sure your dish pole is absolutely plumb ,check at least 2 - ways with a small level..A couple of degrees here can waste a lot of time looking for something you are not going to get.

Thanks Voomer.

Yeah, I checked the mast earlier. It's good to go.

It's likely I'm just going to have to go out there and tweak with it some more -- the tech support dude said that if you can get 110 and 101 you should be able to get 119 -- I am suspicious of some trees towards the west of the property, though. Possible that LOS issue will block that one bird and not the other 2?

How far away are the trees ? Approx. and how far do you imagine they are above the dish?
As you where told ,generally if you hit 2 you have the 3rd also.
Its always hard to imagine when you cant see the site though.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm becoming more and more convinced it's the trees - leaves are starting to come in, which might be the difference in not being able to get anything today vice last week when I was messing with it. The installer who originally put it in didn't bother to aim for 119 - that was before I had HD so he probably figured he didn't need to.

it would seem that if 110 & 101 are aimed correctly, wouldn't 119 be correct as well? unless there is blockage. i mean you aim the entire dish to a location, not each individual lnb so i can't see the aiming being wrong.

charper1 said:
it would seem that if 110 & 101 are aimed correctly, wouldn't 119 be correct as well? unless there is blockage. i mean you aim the entire dish to a location, not each individual lnb so i can't see the aiming being wrong.

This is what has been so perplexing. Everything seems to hint that I need to point a bit more west -- 101 is at like 95, 110 is in the upper 80s-90s...but not even a hit on 119. When I tweak the azimuth over left, though, the other two just get weaker and I don't pick up 119 at all, except on transponder 31 (which doesn't carry any programming apparently).

Frustrating. can only think that there is a tree in EXACTLY the right place to block just the one LOS to 119...which ironically carries ESPN HD, the whole reason I paid for the darn HD receiver lol

Sounds like a lumber jack or a chainsaw rental is in need. I will continue to advise against dish installs during the winter months when trees are a possible issue BUT a quality installer should have thought of those leaves coming in.

I would say you are treed on the 119. Call DirecTV or the installation company and have them come back and move the dish.

JimD said:
This is what has been so perplexing. Everything seems to hint that I need to point a bit more west -- 101 is at like 95, 110 is in the upper 80s-90s...but not even a hit on 119. When I tweak the azimuth over left, though, the other two just get weaker and I don't pick up 119 at all, except on transponder 31 (which doesn't carry any programming apparently).

Frustrating. can only think that there is a tree in EXACTLY the right place to block just the one LOS to 119...which ironically carries ESPN HD, the whole reason I paid for the darn HD receiver lol
I was in the same situation except opposite. My daughter lost 101 except for transponder 12 which had signal strength of 56. 110 and 119 had strength of 90 or above. I make all kind of adjustment to no advail. Findly I cut off one tree limp and signal jumped to ma:mad:above 95)

JimD said:

I didn't know Charlottesville locals came on the 119. I thought it was a different spot beam. Anyway look to the right of the dish and 28 degrees up.
Man I was just up Ruckersville last week. Too many trees.

No 119

I dont get 119 either. I live in downtown Chicago. Too many buildings. I just hope they keep sports on 101.y

I am sure for a long while nothing major/national SD will be off the main satellite, or at least not until everyone is converted to MPEG4, if that EVER is needed or happens. By that time there may be something else new on the horizon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)