Help convince me that Apple Computers are worth it..

Most others would disagree and again. And the fact that something networking features do not work with MAC OS

Can you site specifics or are you just grasping at straws here?

Which also handicaps the users into tweaking their own computer and OS as they would like.
Not true you can go in the programs container and edit setting in there. There is no registry for the MAC but there are settings for each program in its container. If you screw up something you can only break that program, if you screw up something editing the registry your computer might not boot up again.

That is a great feature.

More variety meaning more types of computers.

The big drawbacks I can see hardware wise is a MAC STILL does not support Bluray drives or playback yet. It is true that the hardware for PC's is a lot more vast then on the macs. But that is also the reason why the macs just work while PC's are always having issues because of bad / corrupted drivers.

You are upgrading the hardware so it is not the same as using the exact same hardware for all of that time.
And? I can upgrade hardware, which when you include the cost of the upgrades, is still less than a MAC, and with the upgrades I get something more current that better than what was placed in a MAC a few years back.

And again, I build my own anyway, making what I have better than any MAC at the time of build and in the near future.
Considering I have performed more upgrades than you will ever do on x86 based hardware, yes I know how easy it is. The problem is that I an tired of doing work on hardware so I would rather avoid it if at all possible.
Even if the upgrades are done by preference and/or just wanting to improve something on the computer, even if it is not needed? I enjoy doing it just for fun.

I specifically mentioned Time Capsule router.
If that is also something you don't need to configure, I rest my case...

Diogen.
Ahh yes the router, you are correct. I had one of those and it was the biggest piece of crap.

But I use Time Capsule (backup) with an external drive and that works great.

And? I can upgrade hardware, which when you include the cost of the upgrades, is still less than a MAC, and with the upgrades I get something more current that better than what was placed in a MAC a few years back.

And again, I build my own anyway, making what I have better than any MAC at the time of build and in the near future.

Even if the upgrades are done by preference and/or just wanting to improve something on the computer, even if it is not needed? I enjoy doing it just for fun.

Personally, I don't use a desktop any longer as I don't want to be tied to one location at my house. So for me the upgrading the hardware or building from scratch does not fit a pro of the pc.

Can you site specifics or are you just grasping at straws here?
Conversations with IT guys, professionals, web search, ex.
Not true you can go in the programs container and edit setting in there. There is no registry for the MAC but there are settings for each program in its container. If you screw up something you can only break that program, if you screw up something editing the registry your computer might not boot up again.
You can do the same on any OS. But you are handicapped by what they allow.

Having a set of PCs in my classroom, registry files have become my friend. I am able to tweak the OS so much that on the student account the only thing they can do is view a few websites, use office, and upload/download things on blackboard. No more changing the wallpaper, changing any settings, using the right click on the mouse, ex. Of course, there is software you can install that does this now. The fact that I can still tweak things as I want makes me feel like I have more freedom with MS OS

The big drawbacks I can see hardware wise is a MAC STILL does not support Bluray drives or playback yet. It is true that the hardware for PC's is a lot more vast then on the macs. But that is also the reason why the macs just work while PC's are always having issues because of bad / corrupted drivers.
True to a certain extent, but this is not true for all PCs. There are good PCs and poor ones. Plus again, building your own you can avoid these issues and increase variety almost exponentially

Personally, I don't use a desktop any longer as I don't want to be tied to one location at my house. So for me the upgrading the hardware or building from scratch does not fit a pro of the pc.
If we are talking laptops only, then I will admit that MACs are better in many ways to well over 90% of PC laptops. Given the fact that you can run both MS OS and MacOS, means that they can do the same and more. Then one has to justify the cost for what they plan to use it for. If they are only going to be running MS OS, they can get a really good PC Laptop for much less money that will perform as well as just about any MAC Laptop

Hey I am talking Laptops here too. Not desktops.

I have never used a mac desktop lately but the ones I used in the past were clunky including the mouse and keyboard which felt like a playschool toy more then a real computer.

Except at work I dont use desktops anymore. I love having my laptop with me everywhere I go.

Dodger King:

When you build your own, you are responsible for system integration, parts installation, os install etc etc etc. While there may not be $ in that for you it's a cost the manufacturer has to build in. you could be doing other things with your time, so opportunity cost comes into play.

I gave up building my own about 5 years ago. My time is too valuable.

When it breaks you have to troubleshoot and isolate the issue. Me? I spend enough time doing that every day and having the luxury of not screwing with it is worth it to me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

If we are talking laptops only, then I will admit that MACs are better in many ways to well over 90% of PC laptops. Given the fact that you can run both MS OS and MacOS, means that they can do the same and more. Then one has to justify the cost for what they plan to use it for. If they are only going to be running MS OS, they can get a really good PC Laptop for much less money that will perform as well as just about any MAC Laptop

What's the point of buying a Mac if you only want to run windows? The idea behind this thread is Mac for the os so it would be kind of pointless if you only wanted to run windows.

Let me add. My wife is now looking at a new laptop and wants to get a MAC. I cannot justify spending $1500 on a laptop when I can get a decent (non HP) MS based laptop for less than $1000. She is really hellbent on it, so we may buy our first MAC PC. I used to have a MAC laptop that belonged to my district. Ended up giving it back because the thing annoyed the hell out of me, particularly the lack of software compatibility at the time (now it is hardly an issue at all)

Dodger King:

When you build your own, you are responsible for system integration, parts installation, os install etc etc etc. While there may not be $ in that for you it's a cost the manufacturer has to build in. you could be doing other things with your time, so opportunity cost comes into play.

I gave up building my own about 5 years ago. My time is too valuable.

When it breaks you have to troubleshoot and isolate the issue. Me? I spend enough time doing that every day and having the luxury of not screwing with it is worth it to me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Yes I build it myself. It is fun. As far as time, it takes but a few minutes to put it together. Software installation is where it takes a while. If you use the same harddrive from another PC, then you don't have to worry about that.

As far as breaking down. The built ones have always given me less issues than a store bought one. The only issue lately is with one I built 8 years ago and it is just an issue with the LAN port

What's the point of buying a Mac if you only want to run windows? The idea behind this thread is Mac for the os so it would be kind of pointless if you only wanted to run windows.
Exactly. The OP wants to justify spending more on a MAC, benefit to cost, vs a Windows based PC. For me, I cannot justify the extra cost. For less than $1000 you can get a really good PC based laptop, even less for desktop, that can perform just as well as any MAC

If you know exactly what you are doing your maintenance on that self-built PC, which I do as well; is nearly ZERO and well worth the savings for a vastly superior machine overall. In all honesty though; your time is no more or less valuable than mine or any other user's and that point is moot / no worth debating. As to the MAC worth the cost; uhh.... in a word; NO. For less money you can have another O/S that will do the same things; as well; just less prestige. Same goes for laptops other than you may not build yours.

Last edited:
Exactly. The OP wants to justify spending more on a MAC, benefit to cost, vs a Windows based PC. For me, I cannot justify the extra cost. For less than $1000 you can get a really good PC based laptop, even less for desktop, that can perform just as well as any MAC

I still have to disagree if you are looking at the life of the laptop but until you experience it you would not know what I am talking about.

This has been an interesting thread, and I'm glad to see there really hasn't been the usual trollish tone to it that happens all too often. Here's some things to consider.

1. Apple is consistently top rated for their gear and their after-sale support. There are good reasons for that. As a premium brand, they have premium support services. No long hold times, no accent/language issues and tech support that even at level 1 actually know something and aren't reading from a script. (or at least it doesn't seem that way the very few times I've needed help)

2. Build quality - Apple's is top knotch, as are the business models of the Dell/HP and other lines. They just do not build for the bargain hunter market. It is a conscious choice on Apple's part. And it is working quite well for them. Their sales increases over the last few years are outpacing the rest of the market. Should make you wonder how?

3. Ease of use -arguable, but in general easier for a relative newby or someone that just wants to use the computer, to learn and use well.

4. The OS just works and works well with the hardware. I know when I turn on any of my Macs that they will work just right every time. Not 99% or almost always, ALWAYS! That is a biggie.

5. I have to wonder why an OS other than OSX needs an update every week? Either security issues or other things just make a weekly update a thing that irritates the hell out of me. And then there is the need to have virus software at all, let alone having to update that all the time too. Both of these reduce the usefulness of the computer imo.

6. Cost - yep, you'll pay more for a Mac. You'll get a well engineered product in a beautiful case that isn't flimsy and all plastic for it. You'll also get more for it when you decide to sell it when you want a new one, quite a bit more in fact. My last iMac was sold after 3 years for about 75% of the new price I paid. Never saw anything close to that with any other computer I sold.

7. OSX - Unix with a great desktop. Stable, easy to use and fast. And a side benefit is that with each update of the OS, it seems to be quicker on the same hardware.

But after all of that, you have to decide what you want to do with it and ensure you can actually do what you want to. Either purely with OSX or with a VM running some other OS. Personally I haven't used any other OS at all on my Macs for ages. No need in my situation.

A quick comment on the Apple routers. No, they cannot be configured without the Airport utility which runs on Windows or OSX only. That could be an issue. But the utility is dead simple to use, and offers a little more security against an outside hacker getting inside your router. That's a minor issue for most of us to consider. Otherwise they are great home routers, which is what they are designed to be.

The nicest part of the pc vs Mac debate is that we have the choice. If we did not have one of them around their would not be nearly as much development as far as the os is concerned. I hope that both microsft and apple keep pushing each other to give us the best product possible.

JAG72 said:
I still have to disagree if you are looking at the life of the laptop but until you experience it you would not know what I am talking about.

A good quality non MAC laptop as well. You can get a very good quality Sony, Asus, or Toshiba that will last just as long as a MAC and perform just as well or better for less

The difference being is that pretty much all MACs are premium, whereas most PCs are not. You get a greater variety of low quality and premium PCs with MS OS. People often compare a MAC to a low quality or average PC to make generalizations about PCs as a whole, instead of comparing apples to apples (no PUN intended), premium to premium.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

JAG72 said:
The nicest part of the pc vs Mac debate is that we have the choice. If we did not have one of them around their would not be nearly as much development as far as the os is concerned. I hope that both microsft and apple keep pushing each other to give us the best product possible.

+1

A good quality non MAC laptop as well. You can get a very good quality Sony, Asus, or Toshiba that will last just as long as a MAC and perform just as well or better for less

The difference being is that pretty much all MACs are premium, whereas most PCs are not. You get a greater variety of low quality and premium PCs with MS OS. People often compare a MAC to a low quality or average PC to make generalizations about PCs as a whole, instead of comparing apples to apples (no PUN intended), premium to premium.

FYI, all of my comments is on comparing premium to premium. I will not waste my money on a cheap piece of hardware again as they just don't last. Pricing for laptops pretty much falls into the you get what you paid for category.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts