Help convince me that Apple Computers are worth it..

Interesting. I hadn't been following HTPC for some time now as I don't need what it brings to the table. Currently I use my MacBook Air to put some things on my Plasma by mirroring the screen with a mini-display port to HDMI connection. For the little I need it for it works well. Only downside to me with this is that sometimes you have to plug and replug the darned connector at the computer end to get the HDMI handshake to cooperate. Once it does it, it holds quite well and operates just like the desktop.

Note that you can rip BD and play them on a Mac, or at least I've been told I can. You just can't play the disk straight up, even if you use an external BD drive. One of these days that might change, but Jobs isn't fond of BD...
Job's isn't fond of a lot of things, including Flash on his iOS.

Which is a plus imo! :)
Really? The inability for me to look at over half of the websites I frequent and most of the websites I go to for quick info on both my iPhone and iPad is not a plus at all.

Try looking at a quick menu or nutrition info for a restaurant that uses flash to display their interactive menu
Try going to most sports websites that use flash to display many of their interactive features, including the score board window
Try going to ski resort websites that use flash to display their interactive trail-map.

Definitely not a plus at all.

One of many reasons why I jailbreak my devices. Allows me more control over my devices (similar to having more control over a windows PC vs a MAC)

Speaking of which there is a HUGE security hole in Flash currently that Adobe said they won't be able to patch until next week.

Steve may not be too wrong on his stance on Flash.

Adobe finds 'critical' security hole in Flash Player, won't fix it before next week -- Engadget
Have yet to have any problems, and am still able to look at and use most of my websites (unlike on my iPad)

You always have the option to not install Flash or to uninstall it on your PC. ;)

Last edited:
I would agree, not a plus for you. But for me, it isn't such a big deal at all. Flash is on its way out as more and more are moving away from it. But there is such a huge amount of it out there that it will take time. Flash has always been problematic, but it was the best way to do the things it allows you to do.

Really? The inability for me to look at over half of the websites I frequent and most of the websites I go to for quick info on both my iPhone and iPad is not a plus at all.

Try looking at a quick menu or nutrition info for a restaurant that uses flash to display their interactive menu
Try going to most sports websites that use flash to display many of their interactive features, including the score board window
Try going to ski resort websites that use flash to display their interactive trail-map.

Definitely not a plus at all.

One of many reasons why I jailbreak my devices. Allows me more control over my devices (similar to having more control over a windows PC vs a MAC)

SInce I set Flash to run on my Dolphin HD browser with a download link, and thus I choose which flash to actually use, I'd say this is very true. It is everywhere.

They will probably do a refresh with a SATAIII drive (maybe SSD) in a year or so.
Only the hard drive will need to be replaced...

Diogen.

Until the devices can saturate the channel there is no point to a SATA iii interface. The fastest laptop class hard drives burst at barely above a SATA 150 (1) data rate.

I haven't seen numbers for the hybrid drives yet.

Ssd (latest gen) is the only thing potentially saturating the sata ii interface.

Nothing wrong with the headroom though. With the tragic events in japan ssd won't be getting cheaper anytime soon.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Getting rid of flash is like trying to get rid of gas based cars. Yes eventually we want to get rid of it, but the install base and ease of use is too great now to do a complete transition over immediately.

OT, I should point out that the gaming thing isn't a make or break thing for me. If it were, I wouldn't even have created this thread in the first place. It is more of a very nice to have, but it is something that would affect my final decision.

Now that I can see flash content on my ipad, I have a happier experience using it as a content viewer.

Scott- That is good news on the Newer Macs not needing to do such a lengthy teardown to swap the hard drive. Good you never tried to swap one on your first MacBook Pro. (We have the same machine) Trust me it was quite a project similar to fixing the GPU on an xbox 360. :(

I think it boils down to this. If you don't mind doing things the Apple way and are willing to adjust what you do to what they allow, the Mac will perform nicely out of the box. The PC, if you are happy, stick with it. It does more your way for the buck and you won't need to work in a second language to figure out what they mean. If all you need is to surf the web and do a few simple tasks, I think iPAD is your best bang for the buck. You can set it up like a laptop with real keyboard, do some simple amateur video editing, play music and compose musical arrangements, play games with Gyro interface, communicate with video conferencing and on and on. Why buy a front end loader when all you need is a shovel.

As I said before a Mac is not good for Gaming, the video cards used are still worlds below the best graphics cards you can get on a PC.

Repost to add gaming to the Windows PC Pro section:

MAC Pros:

Video editing
Music editing
Ease of use for those not familiar with computers
More stable
Ability to run multiple OS (meaning you can do most of that listed below)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MS based PC Pros:

Cost
Ability to build your own at low cost that is better than anything on the market
Ability to add and upgrade with ease
Home-networking
Software compatibility (not much of a difference anymore)
Easier to tweak settings and change things, particularly if you are good at understanding registry keys
More variety of PC choices to meet the particular needs
Gaming

Now that I can see flash content on my ipad, I have a happier experience using it as a content viewer.
I have been using the iswifter browser on my iPad and it does flash GREAT, I can even play games here in the arcade! :)

Scott- That is good news on the Newer Macs not needing to do such a lengthy teardown to swap the hard drive. Good you never tried to swap one on your first MacBook Pro. (We have the same machine) Trust me it was quite a project similar to fixing the GPU on an xbox 360. :(
One of the first things I did on the new mac was take it appart. They made it much easier!

I found it, it is in the iTunes store. Interestingly it did not show up on my iPad when I searched for it. I had to search for it within iTunes on my computer