Help fixing aspect ratio on R-22?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gable_guy

Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
I just got Direct Tv installed today. The problem is we're using an older television at the moment until our newest one arrives. However, the aspect ratio is off with gray bars on each side of the screen. For the life of me I can't find any option in the television menu to change the aspect ratio. Using the Direct Tv guide I see some receivers you can change the aspect ratio through the "TV Type" screen. However, I have an R-22 DVR receiver and do not have this option? Is there anything that can be done?

BTW, I searched and found something about a CE release on 9/25 that may help me. Was this only available during that timeframe?

What is the make & model of the TV? What is the aspect ratio of the TV 4:3?

TV would be 4:3. I reset the receiver tonight and started the CE download. Fired the menu up and was able to finally see some place to adjust to a 4:3 ratio in one of the Setup tabs that wasn't there before. Thanks for the help though! Moral of the story is I have to upgrade the old CRT.

OP - is this happening on your local channels per chance? What DMA (TV market) ARE you in?
I think I know what the problem is, as we are having it here on these R22's as well - but once you tell me the info, I'll go further into an explanation. But you are right - there doesn't seem to be ANY way to change the aspect ratio on these units.

I too just bought model R22 and have the 2 inch gray sides of the picture now on my TV. I called direct tv and was told a patch is coming to fix this problem is that true, and when?
Also i have a anoying scratching sound through the dvr too, is that an on-going problem?
what a bummer, any help would be appreciated.thanks.

I too just bought model R22 and have the 2 inch gray sides of the picture now on my TV. I called direct tv and was told a patch is coming to fix this problem is that true, and when?
Also i have a anoying scratching sound through the dvr too, is that an on-going problem?
what a bummer, any help would be appreciated.thanks.

Press the Info button on the remote for 5 seconds.Select HDTV there you should find an option to change the screen from 16:9 to 4:3.If you don't see that try to hook up the R22 with the S-Video or Composite connections.Good Luck!:):welcome

You do realize this is NOT an HD DVR, but an MPEG4 SD ONLY unit...

Press the Info button on the remote for 5 seconds.Select HDTV there you should find an option to change the screen from 16:9 to 4:3.

Until they get the new software update, you CAN'T do this on the R22... :confused:

If you don't see that try to hook up the R22 with the S-Video or Composite connections.

Still won't solve the problem until the software update... :confused:

This problem will be fixed in the next software release, which I am thinking it's going to be within the next 2 weeks, most likely before Halloween! The reason this does this is because the R22 is actually a HR21 HD DVR, but with the HD part turned of through the software. If you want to know more than you can PM me.

Hope this helps!

ASPECT RATIO ON THE R22

Thx 4 the update & the info u gave here in this forum. Last night
around 8:30 PM Direct TV had a message on the screen that said the patch was running. After it was done the gray 2 inch lines on each side were gone on the picture.
HALLELUIAH!!! Appreciate the help,,,cul8tr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts