Help for Openbox s10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

oblio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
the cloud
Just bought openbox s10 to replace vs ultra for Ku sats. Now pointed at 72w and trying to walk west, catching sats on the way using diseq 1.2 (USALS disabled). But when try to bump motor east or west, stb just reboots so I can't move the dish at all. Am I missing something? I seem to be stuck at 72W and don't want to use USALS. Is this a firmware issue?

When blind scanning 72W, the 4 NBC mux channels come up on 12003 but should be on 12052. If I edit the tp to 12052, I lose the signal. Is the s10 not very accurate for scanning?

Any help is appreciated. Hope I didn't just buy an expensive digital clock.

If you are going to use diseque 1.2 instead of USALS you have to set your East and West limit switches first. Set your receiver to factory specs. and start over.

Thanks to both for the responses.

I did have my LNB set wrong, should have been 9750/10600 Universal or 10600, 22 khz=on. That seems to have corrected the scanning issue. Not sure setting limits does anything for diseq 1.2 as I've been using it on my VS Ultra with no limits set. My understanding is you set limits to protect your hardware. I'll give it a try though, can't hurt.

As for the motor issue and rebooting, no joy. I'm pointed at 72W but reboots if set to diseq 1.2 or to USALS and if try to move dish E or W. I have found that if I turn off the LNB power, the dish will move and STB will not reboot.... suggests maybe not enough juice getting to the motor when LNB is on. Just not practical if can't move dish when LNB is on. My cable run is about 90 feet so maybe its just my particular set up and the box is underpowered. I seem to recall there are inline power boosters available that can power up the line, can anyone confirm such things do exist and where I can look to get one?

When I first installed my KU system my cable run was around 90 to 100 feet and the motor wouldn't turn. I could hear it trying to work but the distance was to far. I moved the dish so It was 50 feet and the motor worked fine. At that time I was using a Viewsat Ultra and a Viewsat Pro tried both receivers had the same problem. I'me now using Openbox S10 at 50 feet and no problem.Is there any way you can take the receiver to the dish and use a short cable just to see if the receiver will drive the motor. This way you will know if the motor is O.K. and the receiver is O.K. You may have to try different length cable to see how far you can be away from the dish and still run the motor.

There are line amplifiers that you can get from most suppliers but they are designed to boost the signal from the LNBF to the receiver for long runs.

Have you tried a different firmware. If you go to wydvb.com click on downloads you will find different firmware versions there.

Tried July and Oct firmware. I've been ok with my VS ultra moving the dish and a second S10 did move the dish, I just lost the LNB in the process. I must just be on the edge for cable run. So if I can find a power inserter or just use a multi receiver diseq to hook up 2 stb's, maybe that will boost the base power (used to work in the old days for power hog LNB's and too many dishes for lower power VS STB's)

Update

Tried Holland Electronicss P10 as a power inserter. Despite its advertising it does not pass though Ku frequencies and steals a lot more power than it adds. So an experiment that failed.

So then had to go to plan B which was to shorten up my cabling to see if that would help with my Openbox S10. Cut about 30 feet out of my set up by moving the dish, used new premium (more shielding) RG6, changed the cable routing and drilled new hole in side of house (hopefully the wife will not notice). This increased my S on my S10 from about 78 to 91. I can now bump the dish using diseq 1.2 and keep the LNB signal (albeit it goes away when motor moving and comes back). So good to go.

All of this confirms that the Openbox S10 is perhaps underpowered so has limits on how it can be used. Maybe its the price of such a small box. I'm at 65 feet now with high end cable and just one connection at the grounding block, seems to be about a practical limit for the cable run for this unit. My other S10 still doesn't work which also suggests quality variability among S10's so the correct cable run distance may even be smaller.

I can say that try to see if it moves a Horizontal transponder on a sat and not a vertical I found it moves better because it draws more power.

Status
Please reply by conversation.