Help for the non-technical please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dentonpc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
Illinois
I have been reading several threads and posts and I have a question for just about every single one of them. I am a bit non-technical.

If someone out there has the time to help a new user out, I would REALLY appreciate it.

I have D* now. I called customer retention and they gave me what I see is a good offer to go HD.

$50 Tivo
$100 HD Receiver ...used on the same TV with the Tivo (can I do that)
$50 OTA
...then some programming specials

I want to order today as I am dying to fully utilize my new baby - I mean TV.

So the questions:

What is a mulit switch and do I need one?

I read a thread about running additional lines from the satellite. Do I need that and do I have to ask for that?

Can I use the Tivo and the HD receiver on the same TV?

Is the OTA Antenna they provide any good?

I guess the point here is that I don't know what to ask them for and what I should expect. I would prefer to trust this board over a random installer and a CSR that may or may not be able to truly help me.

Didn't mean to type a novel, but again help is appreciated and desperately needed.

dentonpc said:
I have been reading several threads and posts and I have a question for just about every single one of them. I am a bit non-technical.

If someone out there has the time to help a new user out, I would REALLY appreciate it.

I have D* now. I called customer retention and they gave me what I see is a good offer to go HD.

$50 Tivo
$100 HD Receiver ...used on the same TV with the Tivo (can I do that)
$50 OTA
...then some programming specials

I want to order today as I am dying to fully utilize my new baby - I mean TV.

So the questions:

What is a mulit switch and do I need one?

I read a thread about running additional lines from the satellite. Do I need that and do I have to ask for that?

Can I use the Tivo and the HD receiver on the same TV?

Is the OTA Antenna they provide any good?

I guess the point here is that I don't know what to ask them for and what I should expect. I would prefer to trust this board over a random installer and a CSR that may or may not be able to truly help me.

Didn't mean to type a novel, but again help is appreciated and desperately needed.
It is a pretty good deal. I have not seen a better one for existing customers. You can have the TiVo and HD Receiver in use on the same TV, but will not be able to record HD programs on your TiVo ... Unless you get the HR10-250.

The multiswitch is provided if needed by the installer. You will not need one unless you have more receivers, above and beyond what you listed above. The TiVo needs two direct connection and the HD receiver needs one. You should not need to ask the installer to do anything. Let him do his job, if he does not do it correctly, call D* and ask them to send a different installer.

The OTA antenna is a function of what kind and where your OTA stations transmit from. Most installers (non-certified) are pretty ignorant about OTA, it may or may not give you headaches. If you go to CEA.org and enter your address, you will have an idea of where your stations come from and what you may be able to receive. It is not 100%, but it is good. The installer will also need to run a cable from your antenna to the HD receiver. So you will have four total runs to your main TV. 3 SAT, 1 OTA.

Hope this helps!

Is CEA.org the correct address? Couldn't find where OTA availability was on the site. The site is for the Connecticut Education Association.

Thanks

osubeavers said:
Is CEA.org the correct address? Couldn't find where OTA availability was on the site. The site is for the Connecticut Education Association.

Thanks

Edit: Slacker beat me to the reply...
I think the website you need is www.antennaweb.org
It is CEA's mapping program.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)