Help for the uneducated!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dnelson252

Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
PA
I currently have a 722 VIP receiver that I believe is starting to fail....comes up with "Hard drive failure" almost daily. I have a Hopper 2000 that I bought, just in case the 722 died. I have a Turbo HD dish and calling CSR to get the Hopper activated was of no use. All he kept saying was I need a technician to set this up. I have never had a tech come in 20 years of service and have always done it myself. He also says I have to have another satellite dish....:oops: Is this true?? I would like to bypass the tech, but is my satellite dish compatible with this version of the Hopper? I also think he told me I needed a "single node"?? Please let me know if he was right or was I being taken for a CSR ride!!!

You have a ‘57 Chevy. Great car, way out of date.

You need a new LNB, probably a new dish reflector, and the way they are wired together is WAY different. Yes, “node” is now in your vocabulary.

That Hopper 2000 is best used where someone yells “PULL!”

Something called a “Hopper Snap” will help increase its speed to “tolerable.”

A “Hopper With Sling” or HWS will be faster, but not the best. But the built in Sling gives you wonderful options.

You would be ahead to let Dish install a leased Hopper 3. A bit more expensive, but you will be way happier, and not put yourself in a position of deciding your Hopper 2000 was a downgrade from the ViP722.

I have had ViP722s and now HWSes. Hoppers are better. But in an upgrade, you might as well go for the most recent, with the longest expected lifespan.

Replacing your ViP722 is, IMHO, buying a short term fix to be filled with heartache as you soon need to upgrade anyway. ViP722s are being gently shown the door to the dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hopper uses what they call a hybrid lnb. It double stacks the signals so only one cable feeds the box.

You can add a dish 42 hybrid switch (more $) between the lnb and your hopper and the exiting dish/lnb system will work.

But, as said earlier, you are digging yourself a deeper $ hole since the guide on the original hopper runs really really slow (and still slow with snap usb stick).

You could start with the 42 switch and see if you can tolerate the slow guide (the many software upgrades overloaded the processor, slowing the guide).

I would either buy a hopper 3 and a dish 42 hybrid switch and use the existing lnb/dish or get the hopper 3 on lease ( $0).

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

ViP722 units are, as you have found out, elderly. Not sure how many they have to send out as replacements, since they aren’t taking them back anymore. Really OLD HDDs. Really OLD electronics. How long will such a replacement last?

You will only be staving off the inevitable. But maybe that’s the game you want to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have a 722 VIP receiver that I believe is starting to fail....comes up with "Hard drive failure" almost daily. I have a Hopper 2000 that I bought, just in case the 722 died. I have a Turbo HD dish and calling CSR to get the Hopper activated was of no use. All he kept saying was I need a technician to set this up. I have never had a tech come in 20 years of service and have always done it myself. He also says I have to have another satellite dish....:oops: Is this true?? I would like to bypass the tech, but is my satellite dish compatible with this version of the Hopper? I also think he told me I needed a "single node"?? Please let me know if he was right or was I being taken for a CSR ride!!!
Yes, you need to purchase a "single node" to operate the H1 with your current LNB. I have attached a link for the solo node. I would also purchase the Hopper Snap. It really speeds up the performance of the Hoppers. I have one for each of my H2's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts