Help-HD receiver and HR15 DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

on2wheels

Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
I have a stand alone RCA (Directv) DCC210 HD receiver with no DVR. Rather than upgrading to an all new HR20 to get DVR, is there a way I can use the standard HR15 to record and then play through the HD set? Or somehow, use the HR15 with the HD receiver and TV set? I don't care whether the DVR records HD or not and I don't mind some switching back and forth between equipment or sources. I would just like to have the DVR and be able play it back through the same TV set even if it is standard TV. I don't get much HD anyway! Is it is possible? I now have the HD receiver connected directly to the HD TV by component and the audio through an audio receiver.

Or would I have to do a complete install of both receivers and then somehow switch them back and forth?

That said, I could use the HR15 on another tv in another room, but then how could I then playback on the HD widescreen?

(fairly electronically challanged.)

Thanks
on2wheels

(also posted on our DVR forum)

I guess you mean the R15 standard-definition DVR. I'm a bit confused by your question but are you asking if you can have the HD receiver and the R15 connected to the TV set so you can watch HD OR watch recorded SD?
If so the answer is "yes". Connect the R15 to the TV via an s-video connection and RCA red/white audio. Then just select the correct TV input for the box you want to watch.

You will need TWO new cables run from your dish to the R15, one for each tuner. You CANNOT split the cable you already have running to your HD receiver.

But why don't you consider getting an HR20 and the 5-lnb dish? Then you can record HD, also receive local HD via DirecTV if you are in one of the served cities, and you will be ready for new HD channels next year when DirecTV roll them out (your current HD receiver will not receive them).

Since you are not worries about HD (can't archive it to any recordable disc method yet anyhow) you could also consider getting a cheap set-top ReplayTV or any non-subscription or PC based DVR and connect that to your DTC-210. Both would allow free and easy methods of archiving those SD programs to DVD or DVD9.

Sorry my post was confusing. I was a little confused myself. What I was trying to do, was have the ability to DVR with the "free" HR15 box from Directv along with my HD receiver without having to buy the full HR20. From what I am hearing, the DCT210 may not receive all the HD in the future and I will have to upgrade anyway, so I should opt for the HR20. That being the case, it is better to lease from DW and upgrade as needed rather than own the equipment I now have and let it become obsolete.

I was pleased to hear that more HD will be available next year, but disappointed to hear that I will need a new receiver to get it. :-(

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry my post was confusing. I was a little confused myself. What I was trying to do, was have the ability to DVR with the "free" HR15 box from Directv along with my HD receiver without having to buy the full HR20. From what I am hearing, the DCT210 may not receive all the HD in the future and I will have to upgrade anyway, so I should opt for the HR20. That being the case, it is better to lease from DW and upgrade as needed rather than own the equipment I now have and let it become obsolete.

I was pleased to hear that more HD will be available next year, but disappointed to hear that I will need a new receiver to get it. :-(

Thanks for the feedback.

Call D* and talk to them, let them know what you have on your account (they'll already know) Tell them what you'd like to do and they will probably give you some sort of a deal on the new HR20-700 and a free dish upgrade too.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts