Help! HR24 Problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olehawk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
HELP!

Last week I ordered an HR24 from Overstock, received it the next day and hooked it up. When activated, the picture seemed pretty washed out, much less sharp then the HR20 it replaced and once in a while when changing channels about 1/3 or the right side of the screen would just be black. Not compressed, you could only see about 2/3 of the picture. Must be defective so I called Overstock. They emailed a return label and sent a replacement immediately.

I hooked up the second HR24 today and it's better but still quite a step below the HR20 in picture quality. I turned native on, enabled all resolutions but 1080p, set everything else same as the HR20, same cables, etc. Then I had the same problem with about 1/3 of the right side of the screen going black.

I've had two HR20s with the same settings, same HDMI cabling running through a Pioneer Elite AV receiver with great picture quality and no video problems at all for over two years. I was excited about the HR24 upgrade but I'm at a loss. I don't believe the picture quality should be less than an HR20 and I also can't believe I got two brand new duds from Overstock with the same problem.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas. I love the speed of the HR24 and I hate the thought of restarting my two year commitment based on returned receivers. Thanks in advance!

Todd

Try running the HDMI cable directly from the HR24 to the television and bypass everything else. Then make sure something else works okay and its not just your tv suddenly developing a problem.

Very strange, you might have both units as defective as I can vouch that mine is as normal as can be with no black areas and only seeing a great image coming out of mine via HDMI

Thanks CFB, will try. I haven't done it yet because HR20 was fine, hooked up 1st HR24 had problem, hooked HR20 back up it was fine, hooked up 2nd HR24 had problem. I will give it a shot though. Maybe the Pioneer receiver just doesn't like the HR24.

Here's a (low quality) snapshot of the problem...

IMG_0895.jpg

Have you tried using a different hdmi cable or component cables to see if that makes a difference?

I will try straight to the TV, different cables and I do have a smaller 720p tv I will try.

Thanks for the ideas!

I would also try to update the software on the HR24. Never know if they might have thrown a fix in for a handshake issue within it.

I will try straight to the TV, different cables and I do have a smaller 720p tv I will try.

Thanks for the ideas!

Try a normal 4x3 TV set see if the picture looks the same.

I doubt it's the tv set. I have Xbox360, PS3, and HR20 (2 different units) go through the receiver to the TV (all same input on the tv), and they all worked great.

I doubt it is also two defective dvr's too. I think handshake could be it. Jag is right, make sure you download the newest SW too.

If you TV is also firmware upgradeable you might want to also check the manufactures site for any updates as well.

By any chance, seeing its happening with the recvrs and nothing else, that ....

When testing the HR24's that they have turned on one of the Closed Captioning functions and didn't turn it off ?

Check the recvrs CC settings
If it says it's off already, turn it on for a few minutes and then turn it back to OFF.

Jimbo

Pro, Elway, your the ones in this thread that I know have them (HR24's).

How has the picture quality from your previous recvr (HR20 for me) to the new HR 24 been, any better / worse ?

Last edited:
Pro, Elway, your the ones in this thread that I know have them (HR24's).

How has the picture quality from your previous recvr (HR20 for me) to the new HR 24 been, any better / worse ?

What about me Jimbo? ;) PQ is just as nice as the HR20-100 that it replaced.

Status
Please reply by conversation.