Help in Selecting HR24-???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I`m planning to purchase a HR24 to replace my HR20 which does not have 3D capability. In the past, I`ve always relied on recommendations from forum members prior to purchasing any of my satellite equipment.
I`m confused by the various models of the HR24 (-100, -500, etc.). What configuration is recommended for my single 3D Television (Samsung 58" Plasma 8000 Series) viewing? Also, a recommended vendor for this item.
I don`t want to end up with a refurbished unit of unknown configuration which DirecTV would provide as a replacement for my HR20.

The extensions to the model numbers represent what company was responsible for the design and manufacture of the unit. In theory, there should be no functional difference.

In practice, there usually are some minor differences. There's usually some squawking over AM21 compatibility issues or use with a particular external storage combination.

If you call Directv they will replace the HR20 with a 3D capable one, as you know. You could get an HR24, you might get a refurb crap HR21.

Crap shoot, either way, I would try that before spending $200. If you get one you don't like you can always buy a new one and cancel/return the one they send you.

The -100 / -500 etc don't matter much, it is the manufacturer code of the receiver. Only notable one was the HR20-100 was a lower performer than others. Since HR21 they have been indistinguishable.

harshness - Thanks for answering my question about the HR24 dash number.
Where is the best place to purchase a HR-24 since the big box stores no longer carry them??

harshness - Thanks for answering my question about the HR24 dash number.
Where is the best place to purchase a HR-24 since the big box stores no longer carry them??

Check with amazon.com. I ordered an HR24-100 through them for around $182.00(through third party & s&h included in price). I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

royrdsjr- Would you mind sharing from where you purchased your HR24 and how long it took to receive it? You can PM me if you like......
I`m in California and with weather delays shipping from the eastern US could be a problem.

That does not sound right give us a call back and ask to tech support. Billing and General Inquiry department is the first round of agents a person talks too they can often send you ot ACE dept where I work. But for the swap out you really need to be with tech support and they can process an order. But if they gave a reason why no i would like to hear it.

royrdsjr- Would you mind sharing from where you purchased your HR24 and how long it took to receive it? You can PM me if you like......
I`m in California and with weather delays shipping from the eastern US could be a problem.

It was a bit of good fortune. I was checking out amazon & they had a seller,OnSale365,selling what was advertized as a Directv High Def DVR Model HR24NC-100 for $174.99,with S&H,the total price was $189.48. The seller only had one in stock & he shipped it out on the 16th of this month by USPS. I'm expecting to receive it today. I was trying to find when I ordered it,because there was a gap between when I ordered it & when he shipped it out. I think it was a week between ordering & shipping.

Well,I got my HR24 in the mail today. It's an HR24-500. I figured as much when it took so long from the time I ordered it to when it shipped. But it is what it is,& I'm about to set it up & begin the fun process of activating it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Activating is as easy as hooking it up and calling to give them the numbers.
Hopefully the receiver will pass IV testing or the "fun" will begin. lol

BTW, for others in the future, I would always call D* first and see what they will do as often things like this may be free and could even involve a tech visit where they would tweak your dish.

Better then paying a couple hundred dollars for a receiver that you still do not own.

Activating is as easy as hooking it up and calling to give them the numbers.
Hopefully the receiver will pass IV testing or the "fun" will begin. lol

BTW, for others in the future, I would always call D* first and see what they will do as often things like this may be free and could even involve a tech visit where they would tweak your dish.

Better then paying a couple hundred dollars for a receiver that you still do not own.

Yeah,after unsuccessfully trying to activate the receiver online,I called the 800 number & within 30 minutes,I got it activated & I'm watching it now.

Glad it is working for you.

When you tried to activate online did you get red "X's" on the receiver or was it just a problem with getting the information to go through?

Glad it is working for you.

When you tried to activate online did you get red "X's" on the receiver or was it just a problem with getting the information to go through?

The way the person on the phone explained it,because I bought(oops,I mean "leased") the receiver from a 3rd party,it wasn't in their system,whereas if I had ordered the receiver from DIRECTV,they'd have it on record & I could then activate it online.

I called D* and asked if they would swap my HR20 for a 3D capable receiver and was told no. They suggested that I purchase one myself from a retailer.

That does not sound right give us a call back and ask to tech support. Billing and General Inquiry department is the first round of agents a person talks too they can often send you ot ACE dept where I work. But for the swap out you really need to be with tech support and they can process an order. But if they gave a reason why no i would like to hear it.

The first CSR that I got asked his supervisor and then came back and said sure. He said their system was down so call back in about 15 minutes. He said he would put a note on the account. When I called back the second CSR said no. I asked her to check with her supervisor. She came back and said no again. She said that there was no note on the acct about the previous call.
I plan to call back again, just haven't taken the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)