Help installing second receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tmasters2876

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I have an 18 inch round dish with what I believe to be a built in 1X2 switch that has two lines that go into a DVR. This was installed by Direct TV. I wanted to add a second receiver that is just a standard receiver, but I need help on how to install.

Do I need another multiswitch? I have a 3X4 Multiswitch (2 LNB, 1 Antenna, and 4 receiver output) But I don't think it will work. I was thinking I could take one of the two lines that go into the DVR and split that signal, but then I would probably lose every other transponder for that tuner on both receivers. Is there a device I can use to truly split the signal or an I stuck with having to get a true dual lnb with more outputs?

And as a side question, is the single lnb output really a 1X2 switch as I assumed it is?

Thanks! I don't like paying for a second receiver I can't use!

No, That is really a dual output LNB in one assembly. You can use the 3x4 multiswitch to make 4 outputs, a regule splitter will not work. Connect the two outputs from the dish to the two sat inputs on the switch (order is not important).

So you are basically saying that I plug both cables into the 3X4 multiswitch that I have, then output the three lines I have (2 for dual tuner DVR, 1 for standrad receiver) and I should be good?

So the LNB is a single LNB, but just has a dual output so this would not be a 1X2 multi switch to a 3X4 multi switch configuration?

Thanks for the help and insight!!

Thanks, that statement just cleared up a lot of things for me. Now it makes sense for me to have to place both cables into the multiswitch and then output to all three receivers.

Thesetup worked like a champ by the way. I only wish when I had this question presented to Direct TV they would have been able to answer me. Their solution was that I needed to purchase a new dish.

Glad I didn't go for it and kept witht he idea that it has to be able to work correctly.

The reason it is dual is so you can watch odd transponders on one tuner and even transponders on another.
Not true. If it were, then you couldn't be able to watch an odd TP channel on both tuners. The real reason it's a dual LNB is so that each tuner can tune whatever TP it needs. The receiver switches the LNB to either odd or even depending on the channel.

An external multiswitch locks each output of the dual LNB to either odd or even. Then the signal from the receiver causes the multiswitch to select the correct TP.

Not true. If it were, then you couldn't be able to watch an odd TP channel on both tuners. The real reason it's a dual LNB is so that each tuner can tune whatever TP it needs. The receiver switches the LNB to either odd or even depending on the channel.

An external multiswitch locks each output of the dual LNB to either odd or even. Then the signal from the receiver causes the multiswitch to select the correct TP.

Actually what I said was true, but incomplete. Your statement is a better explanation. If both tuners are tuned to an odd channel, the multiswitch will connect them both to the same LNB output. The multiswitch only selects odd or even transponders (by polarization) and sends the whole 500 MHz block to the receiver, not individual transponders (the SWM, which uses different technology, is the exception to this).

Well in any event, I do appreciate the help and understanding. I wish I can offer advice, but my knowledge is from 14 years in Systems and Network engineering, so if you have questions on those topics, let me know.

I feel more confident in my setup now.

Thanks Guys!

Actually what I said was true, but incomplete. Your statement is a better explanation. If both tuners are tuned to an odd channel, the multiswitch will connect them both to the same LNB output. The multiswitch only selects odd or even transponders (by polarization) and sends the whole 500 MHz block to the receiver, not individual transponders (the SWM, which uses different technology, is the exception to this).
My explanation wasn't complete either. :)
So between the two of us we got it all covered. :D

Hi,
I have the same situation as tmasters2876 except that my antenna is a DTV 5 LNB dish. I have 2 RG6 cables coming from the antenna to the back of my DirecTV HDDVR. I want to add a second single channel HD receiver into a second room. Will the same 3X4 Multiswitch scheme work for me?
Thanks

No, there should be 2 open ports on the LNB itself, just plug into one of those, a 3x4 will not open up 103/99 nor the 22khtz tone needed for HD

Help installing second receiver (5 LNB Dish)

Thanks Guys!
I am trying to get away without pulling another RG6 from the dish if at all possible. I will look into the WB68 and WB616.
Thanks again for your help.:)

...I have 2 RG6 cables coming from the antenna to the back of my DirecTV HDDVR. I want to add a second single channel HD receiver into a second room.

If you only have 2 lines coming off the Dish a WB8/WB16 is not going to do you any good as they need 4 lines to function properly. So, if you adding a 2nd box, just run a homerun

There are actually 4 RG6 cables coming off of my dish. They go to a demark which then has two of the 4 ultimately connected to my HDDVR (the other two are not being used). Sooooo, if I understand what you are saying, I will need to home run one of the two open cables to the second HD receiver?

Thanks again.....:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.