HELP!!! Is this a common issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

plumfam4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
I live in western Pa It has been lightly snowing most of day I have just lost all Sat except for 119 around 10 PM and that signal strength in in the low 60s now. There is maybe one inch of snow on the ground. I looked at the dish which is on roof and it has a very light coating on bottom of dish. I have all HD recievers. I had DIsh for over 10 yrs and never had issues with signal strength before or did I have to clear snow from dish. I can understand if we have 10 inches of snow. I did call tech support and he said there are some issues in my area. Wait and see if signal returns. If this is going to be on going problem with snow then it really isnt acceptable and i will need to get programing else where. I realize DTV uses a different band signal for HD vs D* and even if that was case shouldnt i still have the SD? I know there are some very smart people need advice and feed back on this problem.

If you have any amount of snow, ice, rain, ect that reflect enough of the signal away from the LNB to have your signal readings drop to 60ish, then sure this can happen. I would suggest cleaning off the dish; maybe get a "hot dish" or warming apparatus (I think they used to be called a HotShot) and then make sure that dish is peaked for maximum signal strength before the next bought with precipitation. I have gone through MAJOR storm and good hail without losing signals.

Many people claim to never have this issue in winter but like you my dish is located on my roof (high on a chimney) & is susceptible to snow accumulation. I will say that its usually the first snow or more precisely the first few times we get the temperature hovering around 32 & it can't seem to make up its mind whether to rain or snow. They sell the dish heaters or you can hook up a simple spotlight right next to the dish which also works (you can use the heat-lamp spotlights but make sure they are both off to the side).
Plugging them in for a half hour during/after a snow storm should do the trick.

If you want to go low tech, clean the dish thoroughly & then spray a light silicone spray over the entire dish. The product below is expensive but I have used it in Chicago for years & it will make the snow fall off your dish.

DomeMagic.jpg

When I lived in NY it was rare to lose signal in snow storms. However it did happen from time to time. Most times I found that it was from the snow building up on the dish arm and LNB enough to block the signal from the dish. Sometimes even the dish would be covered, but that was really rare. The other times it seemed to come from very thick clouds to the Southwest and I didn't need to get much snow at all. When the thick clouds would pass the signal would return. (just like a rain storm) Like Charper says; get the dish peaked as high as you can. In the high 90s if you can.

Many people claim to never have this issue in winter but like you my dish is located on my roof (high on a chimney) & is susceptible to snow accumulation. I will say that its usually the first snow or more precisely the first few times we get the temperature hovering around 32 & it can't seem to make up its mind whether to rain or snow. They sell the dish heaters or you can hook up a simple spotlight right next to the dish which also works (you can use the heat-lamp spotlights but make sure they are both off to the side).
Plugging them in for a half hour during/after a snow storm should do the trick.

If you want to go low tech, clean the dish thoroughly & then spray a light silicone spray over the entire dish. The product below is expensive but I have used it in Chicago for years & it will make the snow fall off your dish.

DomeMagic.jpg

I have a can sitting here in the garage if you want it, didn't really help me at all ....

Personally, I would call D* or your installer, many leave a card and have them come out and PEAK the dish, once you have it peaked correctly you probably not have any issues unless you have snow piling up on the dish of course.

For heaters try here:
Ice Zapper's
Montana Satellite Supply - Satellite Dish Covers, Satellite Dish Heaters & more!

Hot Shot's
Montana Satellite Supply - Satellite Dish Covers, Satellite Dish Heaters & more!

Depends on how fancy you want to get.

I have been considering getting one of these for a few years now, but as it turns out I really only get a few BAD snow storms a year, so I normally just go out and wipe it down, which is fine if you can get to your dish easily.
IF mine was on the roof where I COULD NOT get to it, I would have done this LONG ago.
Or if I lived in Cleveland :D

Jimbo

I had the same problem last night (11/25/08). I am also in SW PA. Last night we had barely an inch of snow but I lost all HD channels, still had the non HD channels. I couldn't see what was on my dish because it high on the house. It's a Slimline (which I hear is problematic with this).
I called and ask why did they put it so high if they knew that snow and ice could be a problem. They are coming next Monday to relocate the dish at no charge, going to put it where I can reach it.
What a PAIN! But FREE relocation is better than $150 (out of my pocket) heater.

thanks for all your replies. I am going to have them check signal and possibly move it, Again thanks all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts